Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm mid cycle too and the concept of a special Xmas present has me in flutters! I'll either be really happy.. Or really drunk! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NordieNox

dublinlady wrote: »
    I'm mid cycle too and the concept of a special Xmas present has me in flutters! I'll either be really happy.. Or really drunk! ;)

I think it is the prospect of possibly getting such amazing news at such a special time of the year that has me all a-flutter as well. Trying not to get my hopes up but if it's not to be at least I can go a bit mad with the mulled wine over Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Surely, odds are in our favour for one of us to get good news?????

yellow hen wrote: »

You would think, wouldnt you? Oddly now have the Hunger Games in my head 'May the odds be ever in your favour' :O

Great to have people in the same boat - it makes the wait a bit more bearable.

You would think, wouldnt you? Oddly now have the Hunger Games in my head 'May the odds be ever in your favour' :o

Great to have people in the same boat - it makes the wait a bit more bearable.

• Advertisement

Day 15 and no positive ovulation test... This could make it tricky to get good news....

Day 15 and no positive ovulation test... This could make it tricky to get good news....

I'm think we're synced up! Day 15 here too and no positive although there has been lots of cm. I totally gave up on the temping as i kept forgetting and then our little guy has been sick so god knows what bed I was waking up in each morn. We've just been ticking along with every second day so hoping that covers any eventuality.

Coombe appt today....so excited after waiting so long!!!

I'm think we're synced up! Day 15 here too and no positive although there has been lots of cm. I totally gave up on the temping as i kept forgetting and then our little guy has been sick so god knows what bed I was waking up in each morn. We've just been ticking along with every second day so hoping that covers any eventuality.

Coombe appt today....so excited after waiting so long!!![/quote

Ahh good luck today! That's great! You will feel productive after it if nothing else!
    I will be watching my monitor with obsession the next few days! Not that it really makes a difference! If I'm this intensely obsessed this month now I dread to think what I'll be like in two weeks time..... I was so chilled out up until now! I think it's cos of the year marker being past.
    Serious mission now!

So I had my appt today. I already had my day 3 and 21 bloods taken with my GP so I had those with me. Apparently on that particular cycle, the egg was not released and the consultant suspects this is the case on every cycle. I don't recall this ever being said to me when I was in the Beacon 3 years ago. I was put on 3 months of clomid back then and although I didn't conceive on those cycles, the consultant today thinks that the clomid probably helped in the subsequent months too which is why I conceived back then.

I was hoping they would just prescribe clomid there and then but apparently, they want my OH to have a semen analysis (which was normal 3 years ago). Once he has that, I have to go in for a hycosy which sounds like a lap and dye without having to cut. They instead run a catheter in and run the dye through it. There is a minimum 4-6 week backlog in the lab for the semen analysis and then a wait for the hycosy so I guess this is going to be very slow. I feel really upset after the appt. I know this isn't bad news but I'm just so upset at how long it all takes and that we've been trying diligently for well over a year when in reality, it was never going to happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If it's any help to you, you can get a SA done in Galway in less than a week. They're also very lovely, and while that won't make you pregnant, it sure helps when you're entering into assisted reproduction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Lucyfur wrote: »
    If it's any help to you, you can get a SA done in Galway in less than a week. They're also very lovely, and while that won't make you pregnant, it sure helps when you're entering into assisted reproduction

Yep, can also be done in a matter of days in Limerick privately

We had it done in repromed in the beacon last time and I thought we got the results really quickly but on their website it says 2 weeks. Has anyone else had it done in Dublin in shorter than 2 weeks.

I've been reading about anovulation all eve and the main cause is pcos. I was asked about acne or excessive hair growth (neither of which i have) but that was it. On reflection, the consultant (who was actually the registrar of the person I was meant to see) told me very little.

Also, as much as I'd love for my OH to do the semen analysis immediately, he can't have had sex for min 2 days beforehand and given that I;m on cd15 I'd like to keep trying to make sure we cover all the bases. Also, the dye can only be run between CD1 and CD10 which will be slap bang over the christmas period. Crap timing on my part!

I also think I'm going to start agnus castus on CD1 next cycle to see if it helps while I'm waiting to start on clomid. Has anyone bought it recently? Do you still get it in health food stores?

YH :( that's so frustrating. It's one thing identifying the lack of ovulation but it does seem daft u can't start on clomid straight away even if ur oh still has to go for SA. Hope your not too down - it's better to know what's wrong tho and be in the process of fixing it rather than just not knowing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yellow, yes got it last year in a health food shop. I had pcos (no acne, hair thing or excess weight but scans showed the typical 'string of pearls' eggs).

Have you taken it before? I reacted very strongly, immediately regretted it. Messed up my cycle for another few months. I did better on clomid and ovulation tracking with scans.

Thanks Pwurple, I have taken it once before when we were trying to concieve our first baby. I remember really not liking it but I actually cant remember why that was. I'll risk it once more and see how it goes. I just can't bear the thoughts of being so dependent on the coombe and having to wait several months on appts. I called them today to book the semen analysis and they couldnt even give me a date as they are so busy. I ended up calling repromed and got a date for next Monday. Hopefully in early Jan I will be able to get the hycosy done and then move forward.

I'm two week waiting and gonna spend the next few days eating all the foods I hooefully won't be able to soon... I might be gone a bit ott with the excitement this month.. Could be a very long January..

I am two week waiting as well DL. I got a positive ovulation text last Friday so reckon I am about 8 or 9 days past ovulation. I have had longer cycles than usual recently so going on the last two my period is due in 8 days. Desperately trying not to analyse every cramp in my abdomen but it is so hard not too!!! I keep telling myself after a few twinges it is probably just gas. The problem is our bodys have so many twinges and cramps that I never pay attention to at any other time of the month - it's like natures way of taunting me. Either than or perhaps I should lay of the cheese during the two week wait ;)

Good luck DL and nordienox. I'm just waiting for my period to arrive do I can start he next stage.

I have a question about my progesterone levels which some of you might be able to help with. I was recently told by the coombe that based on my day 21 progesterone levels, I am not ovulating. I only actually got to see the level yest and it was 11 which I know is low. So after spending some time reading about it, I learned that the day you draw those day21 bloods on is dictated by your previous cycle. My previous cycle had only been 23 days (5 dad's early than the norm) so I technically should have had my bloods done on cd16 rather than 21. In that case, the level of 11 might not be too low as it should have read much higher 5 data earlier. Does that make sense or am I totally confused?

Yh - what length was that cycle? The one I did the bloods - or was it this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Nah it makes perfect sense :) The whole point is to see a drop in levels (I think progesterone drops after ovulation?). So yeah, you could definitely argue that your day 3/21 should be adjusted to suit your cycle, or repeated after a couple of months of normal length cycles

• Advertisement

Yh - what length was that cycle? The one I did the bloods - or was it this one?

Sorry I made a mistake in the above. The cycle I had my bloods done on was 23 days. The previous cycle was 26 days so even if my theory above was right, the bloods were only drawn 2 data late so they wouldn't have dropped to 11 that quickly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Last time I had them done(a couple of years back), I asked about this because my cycles we long and erratic. I was told day 21 wouldn't be right for me. As far as I remember, I was told average my last couple of cycle lengths and get the bloods done around 7 days before my expected period or 7 days after ovulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Has anybody used the Tesco ovulation sticks? I spotted a pack of 7 for €8 while doing the shopping and picked them up. I've had one real period since coming off the pill at the end of October and seem to be back to my pre-baby cycle of 32 days so should have ovulated yesterday. I've been using the tests since Saturday and haven't had a positive result yet. Been DTD every day since Sunday but just bit concerned now that I may not be ovulating. Wish I hadn't bought them now! :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Even the cheapies are pretty good so I dont think its that Typer. Its quite likely that your LH surge was short, and they can occur even in your sleep, so it might have even come and gone in the 24 hrs since you previously tested. I missed mine a fair bit, but the blood tests I was getting at the time did show normal ovulation on those months.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Oh thanks for that Neyite. You've put my mind at ease a bit. I did wonder how long the hormone remained detectable in your urine. It's an inexact science this trying to conceive business eh? I'll just keep getting busy for the next few days and keep the fingers crossed I just missed the surge.

I got my BFP this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 14 dpo I am still 3-4 days from my period based on my last two cycles but it so hard to be sure. It was a very clear positive though so absolutely thrilled :D a wonderful early Christmas present. Took it early after the 'pre period' cramps continued for a few days without any period and my boobs were tender (which I never get with AF). Hoping all goes well now for the next nine months.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Massive congratulations NordieNox!! What a great Christmas present. Hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

NordieNox wrote: »
    I got my BFP this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 14 dpo I am still 3-4 days from my period based on my last two cycles but it so hard to be sure. It was a very clear positive though so absolutely thrilled :D a wonderful early Christmas present. Took it early after the 'pre period' cramps continued for a few days without any period and my boobs were tender (which I never get with AF). Hoping all goes well now for the next nine months.

I'm absolutely delighted for you! :D:D What a wonderful Christmas present for you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

NordieNox wrote: »

Excellent news! Here's hoping it's the first of many early Christmas presents on this thread! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, myself and DH are grinning like Cheshire cats. Nervous and excited at the same time. Had a doctors appointment this afternoon and a test in her office that confirmed everything. Not that the three tests I already took didnt lol but it felt even more real hearing the doctor say it. Absolutely magical Christmas ahead for us. Thanks so much for all your well wishes and the amazing advice I got here over the last few months :D Here's hoping there will be more good news here soon as well!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement