Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ah I'm sorry Neyite:( I was thinking of you this morning x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Aw, you are a pet - How are you doing today?

I'm good, thank you:) Physically fine and emotionally getting there so can't complain. Keeping positive, at least we know we can get pregnant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

May79 wrote: »
    - I can't get over how In the middle of all you are giving adivce to others TTC on this thread!! We are all very grateful for the knowledge you have detective

I have to agree with this 100% I have always found the information and advice on this thread a lot more useful than anything my GP/Gynae etc I have attended, in particular DFT's :)

Neyite, I'm sorry AF made an appearance today, I had the same last week at work. Was having a good day til they arrived too :rolleyes:
    Best of luck with the endocrinologist later in the week, I think you're right, they probably do dread us TTC'ers :D

Dublinlady, hopefully they bit of time off will work wonders for you :)

Detective - I've read where some people used ovulation tests in the absence of a pregnancy test as the hcg levels are picked up on the ovulation test, I think the hcg is similar to the lh, maybe thats why you received a positive ovulation read?
    Tears in my eyes also reading about you in the garden centre, I hope you found some comfort in it.

Tigeress, I apparently didn't ovulate in February either according to the ultrasound I had, but did ovulate in March; so hopefully in your case it was just a once off.

Lucyfur, I wish I was as productive as you when I had time off last, I didn't cook, just ate by body weight in chocolate instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Thanks May and Cap :o:)

Neyite, so sorry for the neg, feckin bummer! Ugh, I hate that feeling. I lol'd at your TTC-ers comment. They HATE us, that's one thing I've learned during the course of this miscarriage, and my appts. with HARI and Mt. Carmel. It's like they are genuinely perturbed that you know so much about ttc, the terminology, what's going on at what stage of your cycle. I think it's arrogant and not to mention pretty dumb. These guys (and gals) are all trained in medical science, but their skill ends there as far as I'm concerned. We will ALWAYS know more about what's going on in our individual bodies than they ever will. In particular I find male doctors irritating, they will never know how we're feeling or the physiology of symptoms etc, you can't learn that in med school.
    When I had my last HARI appt he asked me what day of my cycle I was on. I said 'I'm 4 days past ovulation and I expect my period on March 1st as I typically have a 14 day Luteal Phase'. He just looked at me, and he had this half-annoyed half-impressed look on his face. Then he let slip a condescending chuckle. I chuckled back with a look that could kill! haha
    It was the same with the Mt. Carmel scan. She knew best and according to her my dates 'were off'. Eh no they weren't. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I shall get off my soapbox now, look what you started Neyite! :p

Hope ye're all well this fine eve.

By the way, I plan to kick off the April sexathon tomorrow. I need something to keep my spirits up :p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

In particular I find male doctors irritating, they will never know how we're feeling or the physiology of symptoms etc, you can't learn that in med school.

:rolleyes: Men. Pfft. Especially when it feels like my uterus is trying to physically escape, Like today.

wrote:
    Anyway, I shall get off my soapbox now, look what you started Neyite! :p

eep! sorry! :p
    wrote:
    By the way, I plan to kick off the April sexathon tomorrow. I need something to keep my spirits up :p

Us too. ;) Something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spingler

wow i so agree, ye girls that are going through such a hard time actually find the time to look after us here.... i really look forward to catching up with ye every other day..

I had a day of pampering today to try and relax after an awful meeting at work... it went terribly, i cant really go into it to much but basically i was the cause of my own stress because they see me as a stressed person.. i know i am being labelled unfairly because its easier to label me than label the work issue. I had a cry in the relaxion room and then got my period 8 days early... on a more upbeat note i am going to the frames tomorrow night with my lovely hubby.

prob will have another feicin scan fri, when will this ever stop..

Hope ye girlies are doing well, ye have such positve posts, truly amazing:) xxx need hugs today, so im sending it out there xxx

Spingler, I'm so sorry that your meeting didn't go well today. On the upside, at least its out of the way now :)
    Enjoy the concert tomorrow!

Spingler that's just crap. If they do a note up of the meeting make sure you are thoroughly happy with contents. That means they can make no assumptions on your condition or how you feel. They can make no comment re their own thoughts and opinions. A file note should be 100% factual of what each person said in the meeting, that's it. Make sure that all of the concerns you raised are documented (i.e. the issues with the JOB that are casuing stress). It's easier for them to say the problem is you and not the company. I appreciate you can't go into detail on thread, but PM me if you want to discuss it, I've lots of experience in this area. ;)

AFM, went back to coombe today for second blood draw. First one was on Monday. I was meant to get a call yesterday with HCG result, whadaya know - I didn't. I went down to the doctors secretary and asked if the result was in as I didn't want to have to get the second blood draw unnecessarily. She got out my file and told me that HCG level came back as 310. I knew I'd need the second draw when I heard that, they need to see it under 10 to class you as 'no longer pregnant'. However 310 is a good number considering I only completed the miscarriage the day before the blood draw.
    Oh, by the way, did I tell you the doctor didn't believe I had been pregnant when I was there on Monday, as I had no evidence to prove it (well, duh, I miscarried, the evidence is gone). He said he needed to see the Mt Carmel scan report so I dropped that in today also. Ridiculous really as Tallaght A&E had it in my notes that I was over 7 weeks pregnant. He said he didn't believe the notes! sheesh! hosiptals no longer trust each other in this country, another problem to add to the list!!

Right - getting my butt out into the garden while the sun is out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

af arrived 8days late:(

• Advertisement

Spingler that's just crap. If they do a note up of the meeting make sure you are thoroughly happy with contents. That means they can make no assumptions on your condition or how you feel. They can make no comment re their own thoughts and opinions. A file note should be 100% factual of what each person said in the meeting, that's it. Make sure that all of the concerns you raised are documented (i.e. the issues with the JOB that are casuing stress). It's easier for them to say the problem is you and not the company. I appreciate you can't go into detail on thread, but PM me if you want to discuss it, I've lots of experience in this area. ;)

AFM, went back to coombe today for second blood draw. First one was on Monday. I was meant to get a call yesterday with HCG result, whadaya know - I didn't. I went down to the doctors secretary and asked if the result was in as I didn't want to have to get the second blood draw unnecessarily. She got out my file and told me that HCG level came back as 310. I knew I'd need the second draw when I heard that, they need to see it under 10 to class you as 'no longer pregnant'. However 310 is a good number considering I only completed the miscarriage the day before the blood draw.
    Oh, by the way, did I tell you the doctor didn't believe I had been pregnant when I was there on Monday, as I had no evidence to prove it (well, duh, I miscarried, the evidence is gone). He said he needed to see the Mt Carmel scan report so I dropped that in today also. Ridiculous really as Tallaght A&E had it in my notes that I was over 7 weeks pregnant. He said he didn't believe the notes! sheesh! hosiptals no longer trust each other in this country, another problem to add to the list!!

Right - getting my butt out into the garden while the sun is out ;)

1st paragraph- Brilliant, brilliant advice:D

2nd paragraph- I'm actually speechless. The doctor didn't believe you were pregnant???? What a complete and utter <insert swear word of choice here>. I'm shocked that your doctor has such high levels of ignorance and absolutely no compassion. ((hugs)) hun, I hope you're ok.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    1st paragraph- Brilliant, brilliant advice:D

2nd paragraph- I'm actually speechless. The doctor didn't believe you were pregnant???? What a complete and utter <insert swear word of choice here>. I'm shocked that your doctor has such high levels of ignorance and absolutely no compassion. ((hugs)) hun, I hope you're ok.

Good God speechless here also :eek: I know my husband said to me after 'was I sure I was pregnant' (despite sitting beside me through 2 x internal scans where we clearly seen baby + heartbeat :rolleyes:), but his excuse was lack of understanding of how to deal with it.
    But for a medical 'professional' to say this to you? I'm disgusted for you:mad: I hope you're ok, as though you weren't going through an upsetting enough time as it is :(

Spingler, I agree with Detective's advice, it might be no harm requesting a copy of the notes/minutes from the meeting so you can see what it going on your HR file.
    Hope you're letting the hair down tonight & enjoying the Frames :)

talkin wrote: »

I'm so sorry Talkin, its horrible going over so late it gets your hopes right up. Hope you're ok x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

DFT & Lucyfur, how are you ladies keeping? I've been thinking of you Alot lately & hope you're both doing as ok as can be in this horrible time xxx

I have a question if that's ok? My ovulation sticks are telling me I'm not Ovulating still as per my prev posts, however, I got some White Strechy today (sorry if that's tmi) myself & partner have decided to go for the next few days just encase.. But can you get this & not ovulate? My nurse in my local Doc's surgery told me before that you can't get this without Ovulating so I'm very confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

Tigeress wrote: »
    DFT & Lucyfur, how are you ladies keeping? I've been thinking of you Alot lately & hope you're both doing as ok as can be in this horrible time xxx

I have a question if that's ok? My ovulation sticks are telling me I'm not Ovulating still as per my prev posts, however, I got some White Strechy today (sorry if that's tmi) myself & partner have decided to go for the next few days just encase.. But can you get this & not ovulate? My nurse in my local Doc's surgery told me before that you can't get this without Ovulating so I'm very confused :(
    i always took that as a sign that i would ovulate in the next few days. i could be wrong though seen as i cant fall preggers..

Tigeress - if its clear, stretchy and slippy, then drag him in to the bedroom by the ankles. :D and if not, shure, drag him in anyway for a practice run. :p

The LH surge can sometimes only last a few hours. I missed my LH surge a few months last summer- just because the must have happend during the night or something, but as I was getting bloods done those months that did prove that I ovulated.

Neyite wrote: »
    Tigeress - if its clear, stretchy and slippy, then drag him in to the bedroom by the ankles. :D and if not, shure, drag him in anyway for a practice run. :p

The LH surge can sometimes only last a few hours. I missed my LH surge a few months last summer- just because the must have happend during the night or something, but as I was getting bloods done those months that did prove that I ovulated.

+1:D

I'm good thanks Tigeress. Have to go for a scan on Monday cos my temperature decided to go flying. Doc wants to make sure there's no trace of infection. Other than that, I'm great. Doc also said that if/when we get pregnant again, we can request an early scan. Really pleased about that:D

Just back from the Endocrinologist. She seemed to think that my prolacinoma is small enough that it should not cause TTC problems, especially since I didnt have any other symptoms and I am ovulating. I am to stay on the tablets just in case. She ruled out PCOS too.

She did say to give it another couple of months, and as soon as I get pregnant I am to stop the tablets, let her know, and I will be monitored every trimester by her. (I loved the way she kept saying when, not if)

So, its back to the Fertiltiy Doc for the next step, unless I get pregnant in the meantime. Anyone know what might be next? I am thinking it might be lap & dye, even though I've already had a normal HSG result. I dont think Clomid would be prescribed, as I am definately ovulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Just back from the Endocrinologist. She seemed to think that my prolacinoma is small enough that it should not cause TTC problems, especially since I didnt have any other symptoms and I am ovulating. I am to stay on the tablets just in case. She ruled out PCOS too.

She did say to give it another couple of months, and as soon as I get pregnant I am to stop the tablets, let her know, and I will be monitored every trimester by her. (I loved the way she kept saying when, not if)

So, its back to the Fertiltiy Doc for the next step, unless I get pregnant in the meantime. Anyone know what might be next? I am thinking it might be lap & dye, even though I've already had a normal HSG result. I dont think Clomid would be prescribed, as I am definately ovulating.

Neyite, that's All great news :) just a matter of time so :) xx

Lucyfur & Neyite thanks for the advise! It's not clear it's White Strechy.. But sure we may aswell have fun hehe

Talkin, it will happen Hun, unfortunately it takes time.. I know the waiting game sucks :( hopefully we'll all have our turns soon! I'm trying 19 months :( I hate the monthly let down

Good God speechless here also :eek: I know my husband said to me after 'was I sure I was pregnant' (despite sitting beside me through 2 x internal scans where we clearly seen baby + heartbeat :rolleyes:), but his excuse was lack of understanding of how to deal with it.
    But for a medical 'professional' to say this to you? I'm disgusted for you:mad: I hope you're ok, as though you weren't going through an upsetting enough time as it is :(

Yesterday I dropped in the scan report to the hospital (I was there to have a blood test done anyway). The doc rang today and confirmed he got it and put it in my file. I felt like saying "Now do you believe me you utter twonk - that and the positive HCG blood test should be quite convincing, no???" :rolleyes:
    talkin wrote: »

Boo!!! What a bitch - arriving 8 days late. did you ovulate? Were you doing pregnancy tests (just wondering in case you had a chemical)?
    ((hugsies))
    Tigeress wrote: »

I'm doing fine thanks ;)
    If it was white I'd say you are transitioning towards being fully fertile, usually the raw egg-white stuff is clear. This is great though because now you have time to put a hefty sex plan into action, I'd go every day now til ovulation is confirmed and passed. Are your ovulation sticks getting even a bit darker? Don't worry if they're not, as the surge is usually quite dramatic and short lived, i.e. one day it'll be stark white, next days will be a blaring positive, and next day will be stark white again. Be careful thought not to confuse semen for stretchy mucous, or even your own arousal juices, as all look quite similar.

If I could just say one thing, don't put a huge amount of faith in ovulation kit, or even your cervical mucous. I'm not saying don't use them or monitor it, but just make sure you are having lots of sex and tipping back your uterus thereafter, it's THE most important thing. I rarely get the egg white stuff so never bother paying attention to mucous. I go by ovulation tests and temps (I only temp around O time).
    GL and hope you catch that eggie this month!

'When' is a word I'm using more often, it's helping me cope with the m/c. I WILL have a take-home baby, so it's just a matter of when...
    I really don't know what could be next for you Neyite as I don't have much knowledge on the prolactin issue, but I'd ask for a good reason if the lap were suggested. I know it's keyhole so less invasive than open surgery, but it's STILL surgery. Are your cycles long / irregular by any chance?

AFM, got a call from doc today, HCG from yesterdays blood draw was 139 (down from 310 two days previous) so heading in the right direction. Hopefully I will ovulate soon (i.e. in the next couple of weeks, am worried though that this cycle with be annovulatory because of m/c). When the doc told me I asked him did I need another blood test seeing as it was yet not under 10. He aid 'no, you're all done now, it's all over, everything is gone....' thanks you insensitive jerk... (everything is bugging me these days, I think I am going through the 'Hate' phase of grieving I reckon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 hope50

Hi new to thread found it on google search. We have been trying for 12 months disappointed every month. Thought this was the month but have usual PMS symptoms. the constant disappointment is heartbreaking

You poor thing Detective, sounds like your Doc is a right insensitive git :(

I had a strange one today, I'm day 9 of my cycle, so hoping to ovulate any day now.
    I tested today using one of the clearblue digital ovulation tests (they take forever to give you the result!).
    I got the blank circle (not ovulating); but when I took the stick out to discard it; I noticed that there were 2 lines on it. The test line was dark & the second line was feint but clearly visible.
    Evap line maybe?

Welcome on board Hope50. Many of us here can share your frustration, hopefully you'll get your positive result soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Welcome Hope50.

I got my period yesterday and all seemed well, heavy enough, some clots etc., I wasn't expecting pregnancy this month so no big let down. Anyway today it seems to have very much disapated. I was always a 4-5 day girl, but today, just day two it was so light I didn't feel right wearing a tampon.
    I will obviously mention it to the doctor, but in the interim has anyone here been using an herbal supplements to boost eastrogen as lack of this seems the most likely cause. It was all fine when I did my tests, but that was nearly 18 months, two miscarriages and 3 d&c's ago.

@ Cap - don't pay any attention to the lines on digi tests (preg or ovulation), they don't mean a thing. I wouldn't put any stock in them. Always only go by the digital read output. ;)

Welcome Hope50, sorry for your struggles, you're in good company (hugs) :)

My preg tests are still + but are so faded that they are questionable. Almost as faded as the first positive test I got at 11 days past ovulation.... am glad..... here's to ovulating soon (hopefully)....

Right... time to open the vino.....!

barbiegirl be very cautious when using any herbal supplements, they can be powerful things and can cause more harm than good sometimes (I have personal bad experience). Unless you have been told you are estrogen deficient then I wouldn't be taking anything that increases your estrogen. Not to alarm you but too much estrogen is linked to certain cancers (i.e. cervix, endometrial, ovarian). Women of menopausal age are particularly at risk of these cancers because their hormones go haywire and sometimes too much estrogen is produced.

Sometimes a lighter flow can be linked to Clomid, because Clomid can thin the endometrial lining a bit so your period is lighter as there's less to shed. I have noticed a slight decrease in my flow since I started Clomid, not to the level where it's worrying though.

The supplement may be causing the issue, I would stop taking it if I were you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm not currently on any supplements or clomid. Nothing but pregnacare conception vitamins, but things did seem to come back today, fingers crossed

Yesterday I dropped in the scan report to the hospital (I was there to have a blood test done anyway). The doc rang today and confirmed he got it and put it in my file. I felt like saying "Now do you believe me you utter twonk - that and the positive HCG blood test should be quite convincing, no???" :rolleyes:

How you kept your cool I'll never know -I would have tore strips off him
    'When' is a word I'm using more often, it's helping me cope with the m/c. I WILL have a take-home baby, so it's just a matter of when...
    I really don't know what could be next for you Neyite as I don't have much knowledge on the prolactin issue, but I'd ask for a good reason if the lap were suggested. I know it's keyhole so less invasive than open surgery, but it's STILL surgery. Are your cycles long / irregular by any chance?
    When is a good word. I am using it a lot too :) You are probably right about it being surgery. As far as the endo is concerned, the prolactin is no longer preventing me from getting pregnant, so it should either be just a matter of (more) time, or another cause not yet investigated. Cycles are short and regular so maybe not. It could be that they will check egg quality, or something.

AFM, got a call from doc today, HCG from yesterdays blood draw was 139 (down from 310 two days previous) so heading in the right direction. Hopefully I will ovulate soon (i.e. in the next couple of weeks, am worried though that this cycle with be annovulatory because of m/c). When the doc told me I asked him did I need another blood test seeing as it was yet not under 10. He aid 'no, you're all done now, it's all over, everything is gone....' thanks you insensitive jerk... (everything is bugging me these days, I think I am going through the 'Hate' phase of grieving I reckon)

Hatin is good, especially when they deserve it.

On a side note, My Endo specialist was pregnant when I went to her maybe 5 and a half months or so - just the cute pregnant curve. Then I walked through town to go tax the car, and saw innumerable baby bumps. Then the girl in the tax office was pregnant. Gah!

*goes off to Conspiracy Theories with tin foil hat :p*

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I'm not currently on any supplements or clomid. Nothing but pregnacare conception vitamins, but things did seem to come back today, fingers crossed

My fertility doc told me the pregnacare were grand, if I was happy to spend the money to continue taking them, but that just taking folic acid was sufficient when TTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hope50

Thanks Barbiegirl
    Period Arrived this morning a day late funny even though having all symptoms still thought I might be . Haven't had my cry yet Im sure that will come later today
    will have to go to dr to get checked out now trying for 13 months now nervous about doing that ignorance is bliss except for the upset every month when period arrives.

I do have a son he's 19 I know and here I am trying again Did't think it would be so hard considering when I had my son well I was only 19 then and now here I am I suppose much older so going to be much harder
    But everyone around me has seems to have no problem I try not to be too envious but sometimes I do Think why not me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi all,
    New to this section of Boards :)
    My wife and I have decided to start trying for a baby and this month her period has been late by 8 days so far. Its been at most 2 days late before. Shes had the symptoms and today noticed really light spotting and the hormones are all over the place - crying and laughing at the same time last night! We've taken 3 tests (Clearblue Digital) and all have been negative. Have 1 left in the room but wondering if theres any point in taking it.

Can anyone shed any light on this for us? Very confused couple here. Maybe we're just being over excited.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement