Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

dublinlady wrote: »
    Talkin - going to the doctor is the most positive step you can take after trying unsuccessfully! It shows you have the courage to seriously try for your baby, it's a very difficult thing to admit there's something wrong but without doing it you would be risking never getting to hold your baby in your arms! You dud the right thing and I think you should be proud of yourself for being proactive and moving things forward! It mite be something really small and simPle and I'll have everything crossed for you that it is! X
    thanks dublinlady! holding my own little baba is a lovely thought,hard to block out that other little thought that its just never going to happen but im going to be positive me!x

just wondering i had spotting yesterday nothing major just when i wiped every now and again but today my TOM has arrived on force lol! do i consider this cd1 and get cd3blood tests on thurs? also my doc said i needed to get cd21 blood tests just to check and then another blood test (i suggested thanks to ppl on here;)) 7days after my cramp. i think the cd21 will be a waste of a test. :D im not very good with needles big baby really.

the best thing to do is use the cheapies from day 10, test once a day, use second morning urine after a long hold and no (or limited) fluid intake. You need concentrated urine for the cheapies. When you get what looks like a positive do a digital ovulation test, I guarantee you'll get the smiley face. this means you only use one expensive digi test each cycle (7 in a box to they'll last you 7 months). Using a full box of digi's a month is so wasteful I think, but a lot of ladies prefer them. I often get 'almost positives' on the cheapies, and then when I do the digi I get the smiley face.

you'll get a hundred cheapies for about 13 quid, and a box of 7 digi's for about 12 quid on eBay. If you want links let me know ;)
    i think its time to be more proactive! could u gimme those links :D if my cycle gets any longer ill need the hundred cheapies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Tigeress I'm delighted for you, couldn't be happier :-) That little bean is growing strong. I'm sure your son will be such a great big brother and will enjoy his own big day.

MS2011 and Talkin getting started really does help you feel that you're doing something, and the cramps I'm unsure as I don't always cramp myself.

I got my high fertility sign today on my monitor, so it's all engines go now. Hubbie however has a long day in work, then the under 16's he manages have a match and then a football meeting, so it will be late and I doubt he'll be in the humour, still a little effort and I'm sure I can persuade him ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Baths are fine but just don't have thm too hot cos overheating isn't good for you or your little bean!

Be careful if you use oils or anything as some oils aren't recommended in pregnancy (can't remember off the top of my head which ones!) but your everyday babble bath is fine! You should use Baby Bath :D The lovely smell can get you all excited about whats to come!

Thanks CCL :) I think we can all guess what I'm doing tonight lol my friend told me to use bio oil in the bath aswell to help Stretch marks so gonna try that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

Tigeress congrats, delighted for you!! :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

talkin wrote: »
    just wondering i had spotting yesterday nothing major just when i wiped every now and again but today my TOM has arrived on force lol! do i consider this cd1 and get cd3blood tests on thurs? also my doc said i needed to get cd21 blood tests just to check and then another blood test (i suggested thanks to ppl on here;)) 7days after my cramp. i think the cd21 will be a waste of a test. :D im not very good with needles big baby really.

I read somewhere that your CD1 is counted from the day you see fresh red blood. Dont count brown discharge. Not sure about spotting, but if it were me, I would consider this day 1 (open to correction though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

So glad to see our new mammies are getting on well with their pregnancies, its lovely to hear how ye are getting on with your scans. It gives me a bit of hope :)

Ms2011 I'm open to correction, but I think unless you're getting the runny egg white cervical mucus then its not ovulation.
    I've noticed on my longer cycles that a week or so before I ovulate; I get what you describe as twinges, but no mucus & negative on my ovulation tests.

DFT here's a question for you as our resident opk test expert :) Are opk tests prone to evap lines the same as pregnancy tests?
    I tested twice last night an hour or two apart last night for ovulation. However it wasn't until at least 30-40 mins later that a pink line appeared (test line appeared immediately).
    I did the deed to be on the safe side, but just have a feeling that it wasn't full ovulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

So we got a call from the doc today to ask where we wanted to go for the birth and whether we wanted public or private. We went public and are hoping we made the right decision!! There's not a lot of info out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi all, flyby post, working late all this week, just in the door, wrecked! -

Day 1 should only be called as such if it's full red flow. Don't count spotting (brown, orange, pink, whatever!) as Day 1 :)

Be careful, some women never get the 'fertile' CM, some only get it rarely (like me), so going by mucous alone is not a good indication of impending ovulation. Back it up with tests, ovary twinges, and take temps(if you're a saddo like me!:o) I have proven that I've ovulated countless times (through ov tests and temps) yet my mucous was scant and appeared 'non fertile'. Some women just don't get much. For me personally I put it down to not drinking enough water (I'm terrible for that)...

Never heard of evaps on ov tests. I mentioned in a previous post that the second line can take ages to come up on the cheapies, so it was a good idea to have sex, I'd say if it was a strong second line, or as dark as the control line (albeit that it took ages to come up) then your ov is just around the corner :)

AFM, 4 days pas ov, trying to distract myself with work. Last cycle (m/c cycle) I was so obsessed in the 2 weeks - convinced myself I was preggo, and then gutted at the outcome, so I'm not going there this time, it's so emotionally draining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

forgot, here's a link to oils that should not be used during pregnancy.
    http://www.earthyfamily.com/arom-caution.htm

I've heard very deep tissue massage is to be avoided also (whether oils are used or not). If yo go for a normal massage always advise you are pg, as I think the masseuse has to be specially trained in preggo massage

Thanks a million Detectiv, I wasn't sure if 40+ minutes after testing was too late to get an accurate read.
    I'm trying every 2 days to be on the safe side :)

I know what you mean about obsessing over the 2 week wait, I was guilty of the same when I went over so late last month. I really hope that the 2 weeks fly for you & that you get your positive soon :)

Whitelightrider, I went public when pregnant with my daughter & found the service excellent.
    Ok the waits were 2+ hours most appointments, but for most of the pregnancy its only once a month so wasn't the end of the world.
    I was told that even if I went private, firstly there was no guarantee that I would get a private room it would most likely be a public ward anyway & there was also no guarantee that I would get to see the private consultant at the time of my labour.
    To me there was no benefits to going private. I hope your partner is well & not too suffering bad with morning sickness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

talkin wrote: »
    thanks lucyfur, feeling a bit more positive today even though period has just arrived properly :rolleyes: on cd44!! still a new month and all that!x

I'm on CD38 and still nothing. Tool ovulation test today and not ovulating either :( Will leave it another 2-3 days and take another test which technically should be day 12-13 on a new cycle.

Great news all round with tigress and lucyfur.. work has been so busy for last few days that i havent had time to read so caught up on all the ladies tonight...twas a lovely read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi all, flyby post, working late all this week, just in the door, wrecked! -

Day 1 should only be called as such if it's full red flow. Don't count spotting (brown, orange, pink, whatever!) as Day 1 :)

Be careful, some women never get the 'fertile' CM, some only get it rarely (like me), so going by mucous alone is not a good indication of impending ovulation. Back it up with tests, ovary twinges, and take temps(if you're a saddo like me!:o) I have proven that I've ovulated countless times (through ov tests and temps) yet my mucous was scant and appeared 'non fertile'. Some women just don't get much. For me personally I put it down to not drinking enough water (I'm terrible for that)...

Never heard of evaps on ov tests. I mentioned in a previous post that the second line can take ages to come up on the cheapies, so it was a good idea to have sex, I'd say if it was a strong second line, or as dark as the control line (albeit that it took ages to come up) then your ov is just around the corner :)

AFM, 4 days pas ov, trying to distract myself with work. Last cycle (m/c cycle) I was so obsessed in the 2 weeks - convinced myself I was preggo, and then gutted at the outcome, so I'm not going there this time, it's so emotionally draining.

Oh i hear ya DF...im doing that this month....cant help myself... its prob cos i had to have a month off last month due to rubella vaccine, but completely comvinced im pregnant half the time! The other half im already getting depressed telling myself to stop being so stupid and of course im not pregnant cos i cant have babies...and then i cry.... are pre-menstrual hormones not difficult enough without this!!
    i definitely know if im not pregnant this month im in line for a big enotional fall....and the thoughts of havin to deal with that depresses me too...its a vicious cycle! plus i feel like complete sh&%e....im completely run down, have the hugest stye on my eyelid, and just want the month to be over either way!!
    Its definitely been a bad day..... im on day 24, normall i would be tempted to test on 26( as i got a positive then when i was pregnant last July) but now im so disheartened from the last 10 months the thought of testing terrifies me...not sure i can keep taking the disappointment month after month...but its that or stop trying...and i cant do that either...so really theres no escape!
    Sorry im ranting...:(:(:(

On the plus side its lovely to hear all the good news on this thread...gives hope in these gloomy times! Mind u at the moment i feel like ill be on here forever...crikey im depressing tonight even when i try and be cheery!! ok theres only one thing for it....im off to bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thanks for the replies ladies, currently on CD15 and still testing negative on the OPK, guess I'm just getting impatient, I'm wanting to ovulate and see if all the work we've put in this month has paid off :o
    Did the deed on CD8, 11, 13, 15 and will keep going every second day for the time being, poor OH is looking v.tired these days :)

Dublinlady, sorry you are feeling down today, I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thinking so doing that on your behalf :) I really hope this month is your month, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Whitelightrider, I went public when pregnant with my daughter & found the service excellent.
    Ok the waits were 2+ hours most appointments, but for most of the pregnancy its only once a month so wasn't the end of the world.
    I was told that even if I went private, firstly there was no guarantee that I would get a private room it would most likely be a public ward anyway & there was also no guarantee that I would get to see the private consultant at the time of my labour.
    To me there was no benefits to going private. I hope your partner is well & not too suffering bad with morning sickness!

Thanks very much caprilicious. That does set our minds at ease. We dont mind waiting at all, well hopefully wont at the time. I guess now its just a waiting game and making sure my wife is well looked after and relaxed, and our little "bump" has all it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Dublinlady Im sorry you're so down, big hugs x

whitelightrider Im in the same boat, wev decided to go public too, going to ring the doc tomorrow to let her know. Iv been told so many things and it all comes down to the same care at the end of the day with no guaruntee that ud have ur consultant available for the birth anyway.
    My sisters and sister in-law all went private and said yes it was great but they had nothing to compare it to, in saying that 1 sisters gyn was on holidays for her delivery and my sister in laws gyn was at a conference. None of them had their own room immediately but 1 got 1 after a day or 2. But the rooms in the CUMH are mostly 2bed anyway.

Fingers crossed

Heres to a happy and healthy 8/9 months ahead :)

Ok so my high fertility period is here and I can't move. My back is in bits, don't know what I did to it, but I can't move. This makes doing the deed very difficult, never mind the difene I need to take.
    Anyone any positions that don't involve me moving ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Ok so my high fertility period is here and I can't move. My back is in bits, don't know what I did to it, but I can't move. This makes doing the deed very difficult, never mind the difene I need to take.
    Anyone any positions that don't involve me moving ;)

Oh no!! That happened my OH right as I was ovulating. I was cross with him lol.

Just make himself do all the work and you'll be grand;)

Hope you're ok, sore back is horrible xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Got a positive OPK today, day 14 since period which came day 29 since d&C so all seems to be working well:D Am busy girl ;)

Sorry about the bad back barbie girl - that really sucks. Hope the difene takes the edge off. Or perhaps a turkey baster thingie :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

aw dublin lady dont feel too bad. i was shopping on saturday wit my oh and i smelled baby powder and went to pieces in the middle of the supermarket my poor oh he was trying so hard to keep my spirits up but i felt like i had let it all out now that said i did wait till i got home.

i do have to say i do love reading all the happy news so congrats to all those who have had the happiness i know it will happen for all of us some sooner some later but we will all get there.

thanks for listening :D

on day 39, no AT and negative on ovulation test! Am only off the pill 42 days but at what point should I go see a doc? Do you reckon waiting this long for a period is normal?

Bought a stash of pergnancy tests and am bursting to use them!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Oh no Barbie! Thats terrible but funny too, bloody typical!:o As lucyfur says, get him to do all the work ;) At least you'll be in the right position to throw your legs up the wall to hel the swimmers get to their destination :D Hope you're ok.

Newbie I think it can take months for your cycle to settle down after the pill, its just a waiting game, no help at all I know but hang in there.

Carly this is why we're here, for all to vent and help support each other through the hard days, we all have them. heres hoping your BFP is just around the corner

x

Well girlies we managed ;-) and today I can walk :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Well I certainly won't have issue with testing too early.. Had a family bereavement today... An in law not a direct member, but it was sudden and is so sad, puts it all in perspective really :( I prob won't get a chance to be on over the weekend so good luck to anyone with period due and enjoy the trying to the rest of you, glad ur cured barbiegirl, could have been a bit awkward otherwise! Bloody typical timing for ya tho !

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Good luck to all in the 'busy' zone - enjoy all the shagging and hope its fruitful ;)

I am due period/test next tuesday. Realised that on the way home but felt very 'meh' about it - its been two long years at this stage, I dont get my hopes up when I'm due to test anymore, and I hate that feeling. Feeling a little weepy so cleaned like a demon when I got home. Got lots of hugs from himself when he got home. Feel a bit better now.

Dublinlady, I'm very sorry for your loss, I hope you're ok.

Carlyam2, I hope you're ok :( it is really hard when something like that upsets you. I really hope you get your positive soon x

Barbiegirl, so glad your back is better now! I misread your post & thought it said 'can't walk today', thought you meant you'd done a lot of trying :o Sorry, I know, I need to go to specsavers :p:D

Neyite, that's crap I hope you too get your positive soon. I go through months of meh about testing or else don't bother at all, then months of hyper convincing myself I'm prego when I'm not.
    Sooner it happens the better of my husband will be trading me in for a saner model :D

I'm still not 100% sure if I'm ovulating. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday I got very feint pink lines on the opk - BUT that was only after 30+ minutes
    I tested today & got another feint line; but this time after 3/4 mins.

DH has asked for tonight off :o think I may have to give it a go anyway, we've been trying every second night since last Friday. I'm going to get my bottle of robitussin tomorrow & give an epic effort over the weekend.
    If I could just get a definite positive on the opk, I'd feel a bit better & more sure of what way my cycle is going this month.

For those of you with long/erratic cycles, a friend told me she had the same issue but she had a long cycle every second month.
    Apparently one ovary was 'lazy' according to her doc hence the long cycle. I'm keeping a closer eye on my cycle to see if that might be the case with myself, as my long cycles aren't every single month hmmmm

Hope ye were all cheering on Jedward tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm still not 100% sure if I'm ovulating. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday I got very feint pink lines on the opk - BUT that was only after 30+ minutes
    I tested today & got another feint line; but this time after 3/4 mins.

I'm going to get my bottle of robitussin tomorrow & give an epic effort over the weekend.
    If I could just get a definite positive on the opk, I'd feel a bit better & more sure of what way my cycle is going this month.

For those of you with long/erratic cycles, a friend told me she had the same issue but she had a long cycle every second month.
    Apparently one ovary was 'lazy' according to her doc hence the long cycle. I'm keeping a closer eye on my cycle to see if that might be the case with myself, as my long cycles aren't every single month hmmmm

Can totally feel your pain, I'm on CD18 and still no positive on the OPKs although we have been trying every second day since CD8. I am quiet irregular, I went back on my cycle from last year and they ranged from 20 days to 53 :eek: though last month was an almost perfect 30 days:rolleyes:. I broke it down to any average of 42 so that would put my ovulation date at around 23rd of this month, that's alot of trying inbetween :o

Barbiegirl, so glad your back is better now! I misread your post & thought it said 'can't walk today', thought you meant you'd done a lot of trying :o Sorry, I know, I need to go to specsavers :p:D
    Lol yep the cowboy walk ;-)
    Defo get the cough bottle i got Benylin non drowzy and today (ovulation day, got little egg on monitor ) and for the first time in ages have fertie mucus :-) So i know what we'll be doing for weekend. I hope anti inflamateries don't cause problems but despite cutting lots of things out right now i need these. So that is a little worry. Fingers crossed our babies will be here soon.

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Can totally feel your pain, I'm on CD18 and still no positive on the OPKs although we have been trying every second day since CD8. I am quiet irregular, I went back on my cycle from last year and they ranged from 20 days to 53 :eek: though last month was an almost perfect 30 days:rolleyes:. I broke it down to any average of 42 so that would put my ovulation date at around 23rd of this month, that's alot of trying inbetween :o

It's great to hear other people have mad cycles! I'm on Day 41 now and still not ovulating. Hoping to get a faint line on the OPK tonight...fingers crossed :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement