Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

newbie! wrote: »
    ...and sat night had sore pains on my lower right (assumed ovulation pains) and yet, still no positive on the OPK.

Just on this - I learned a new one at the clinic last cycle. I had these pains on one side the day before I went in and was convinced it was Ov pains, but when I got the scan the nurse confirmed that the pain is from the follicles swelling and that ovulation hadnt yet occured.

Dont worry too much about not getting the +OPK, I missed a good few but as I was getting bloods done every month it confirmed that I O'd. It seemed that the LH Surge only lasted a couple of hours (probably while I was sleeping) and therefore missed it. All your other signs are good, get riding ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Grawns wrote: »
    Hey Lucyfur - I'm back girls and hello to all

I've got my final blood test tommorrow and period due too so we are on the same cycle give or take. I'm off on hols too so if it's a girl - Clare :) Not as catchy as Lanzarote or nearly as hot

Going to order a load of OP kits but not the cheapie pregancy tests as they were rubbish. Happy trying all.

Whoop Whoop:D Welcome back girly:D How are you feeling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Neyite wrote: »
    All your other signs are good, get riding ;)

Am doing my best ;)

That's interesting re the pains. I used a clearblue test today and the line is defo stronger so hopefully it's around now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Welcome back Grawns, fingers crossed you get your baby Clare!

Lucyfur I hope the hormones have calmed down, there's nothing worse! Did you get your period in the end?

Welcome back Grawns, fingers crossed you get your baby Clare!

Lucyfur I hope the hormones have calmed down, there's nothing worse! Did you get your period in the end?

I sure did, it arrived this morning, not full force but it will be by tomorrow:D I feel TOTALLY human again. I was joking with himself earlier saying I won't be psycho bitch from hell for another month now and he said ''yeah, you were a bit snappy some days''. Doesn't sound like much but he NEVER, EVER makes remarks about my hormones...:o

Just back from a stroll with the doggies, feeling fat but good:) Can't wait to get trying this month:D

• Advertisement

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Can't wait to get trying this month:D
    \O/ yay for trying again! :D

p.s. just got a cool (free) app, Photosynth. Takes a panoramic picture! simple to use and it's cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

\O/ yay for trying again! :D

p.s. just got a cool (free) app, Photosynth. Takes a panoramic picture! simple to use and it's cool!

Yay indeed!!

Did you really just use that app & your iphone to take the pics on your fb? :eek: they're absolutely amazing!

Neyite that's really good advice - I often get cramps like that but not always accompanied with cervical mucus & it was at this time I was testing furiously with opk's but getting no positives.
    Hopefully that darker line is a good sign that ovulation is very near!

Welcome back Grawns! Fingers crossed you will be greeting Baby Clare in 9 months from now :D Hope you had a nice break!

Lucyfur hope AF fecks off soon so you can commence trying :)

Yay indeed!!

Did you really just use that app & your iphone to take the pics on your fb? :eek: they're absolutely amazing!
    yip. Sitting on my fat bum on the sofa.

I'm glued to Sky News with these riots going on, scary stuff. One poor old man was on to say him family business was built up over 5 generations, survived WW1 & WW2 and has been burnt to the ground by these knackers!

yip. Sitting on my fat bum on the sofa.

I'm glued to Sky News with these riots going on, scary stuff. One poor old man was on to say him family business was built up over 5 generations, survived WW1 & WW2 and has been burnt to the ground by these knackers!

I seen that man, how terrible :( another bit of video footage showed a guy with a bleeding nose looking like the group of yobs around him were seeing if he was ok, but they ganged up on him & robbed everything out of his bag :mad:

God love anyone living in those areas, that has to be terrifying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Just wanted to acquaint myself with this thread as I am recently married and will be beginning to try for a baby in November after the honeymoon. I'm a bit apprehensive as we haven't been really careful for a couple of years (using contraception on and off due to trying to decide when to have a baby :D) and nothing has ever happened. We're both young uns, I'm mid 20s and he's early 30's so just a bit worried that there are underlying infertility problems. Hopefully just unnecessary paranoia :/.

Just need to sort out blood tests for checking vaccinations as asking my mother which ones I had as a child drew a blank- don't really want to get into it any further with her about it for fear of having to discuss our family planning with her but aside from that we're very excited.

Anything else you guys could advise us to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Another bust here this month I am afraid, I get too depressed to even come onto TTC and see how everyone else is doing as TBH I get a bit jealous:o

I hope everyone is doing ok. x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm a bit apprehensive as we haven't been really careful for a couple of years (using contraception on and off due to trying to decide when to have a baby :D) and nothing has ever happened.

I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, me and my OH weren't too careful for about a year but I didn't get pregnant until we actively started trying. It can be so hit and miss that I am suprised there are ever any 'accidents' :)
    Anyway happy trying, you can start preparing now by taking a good multivitamin (with folic acid) and charting your cycle, by Nov you'll be a TTC expert :D

Good Luck!!!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Another bust here this month I am afraid, I get too depressed to even come onto TTC and see how everyone else is doing as TBH I get a bit jealous:o

I hope everyone is doing ok. x

Ah hugs to ya chick xxx You know you can come in here for a scream and a shout about the unfairness of it all, christ I've done it often enough. These lot are good uns, they've picked me up so many times

Wolfpawnpat, I'm sorry things haven't happened for you yet :( fingers crossed they will soon though x

Welcome on board denhaagenite & Congrats on the impending nuptials, exciting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

half way through the two week wait. I dont think I'm pregnant though. I'm feeling iratable already so it's only a matter of time before AF shows up.

Wolfpawnat - Hope the next few months brings you some luck. I'm keeping fingers crossed for everyone.

denhaagenite - start taking folic acid now, It's recomended that you start taking them three months before you conceive. Also it makes your hair and nails look great! Well mine do anyway:)

Thinking about the weekend already. The OH is away at a stag so I may treat myself to take away, some vino and I may even get my nails done:)

I started the Folic Acid when we first started talking about TTC two years ago, also have that Menstrual Calendar app on my iPhone. I've never been regular so always had to keep a note anyway.

Just wondering if keeping a note of the first day of cycle and when we have sex is enough or if i should be using it to go into more detail? I'm just using it for average length of cycle and fertile days..

Also worth mentioning that I haven't been on the pill in 5 years and that we've only used condoms since the beginning of our relationship. Or maybe TMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

I take my temperature each morning when I've just woken up and before I get out of bed. So apparently when it raises slightly it means that you have just ovulated. It will then stay high until your cycle ends. So thats another way of tracking when you ovulate. Usually my temperature in the morning is around 97.1 / 97.3. When I've just ovulated it goes up to 97.7 / 98. I know it sounds strange but the other thing to do it make sure you are having regular sex.

I'm getting a bit tired of all the tracking. I don't want to get into a situation that my husband thinks I only want sex when I'm ovulating. Although I know the end result will be worth it.

I think we'll prob just do everything as normal for the first 3/ 4 months, maybe start looking a bit more closely at things for the following 6 months and if nothing happens consult our doctor. We have a relaxed plan, but it's a plan none the less. I will start to worry if nothing happens within a year.

They say that trying for a baby brings up stress and we know in our hearts that it was never the right time before between getting the house sorted, getting married, tax stresses and making sure we'd done all the travelling we wanted to do. The fact that this is definitely the right time makes me more confident :).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

...Or maybe TMI?

:D Nuttin' is TMI on this thread - All manner of durty (as in ewww) talk is acceptable. We have discussed the colour & consistency of all manner of bodily fluids, so we are pretty unshockable here :D. You know youve passed the TMI stage when you find your cervical mucus exciting :pac:

I think your basic plan is a good one. Take it easy for a few months, but if you have no luck within a year to go to the doctor.

I dont do charting myself, I tried but I found it too fiddly. I have a basic calendar in my diary where I mark my period as a teardrop shape, a little heart for the sexytime, and a smiley face for a positive OPK, 'M' for Mittlesmertz with a 'L' or 'R' to show which ovary the pain was. It wouldnt take much of a code-cracker to figure it out, but its not exactly totally obvious if my diary happened to be open at that page.

It was good enough reference for the fertility referral, but I suppose I did have 18 months of a track record for her to see if she needed.

I dont do charting myself, I tried but I found it too fiddly. I have a basic calendar in my diary where I mark my period as a teardrop shape, a little heart for the sexytime, and a smiley face for a positive OPK, 'M' for Mittlesmertz with a 'L' or 'R' to show which ovary the pain was. It wouldnt take much of a code-cracker to figure it out, but its not exactly totally

Honestly, if you have an iPhone or Smart phone then this app will make you're life easier. If you don't, sign up to www.fertilityfriend.com .What you're doing is exactly what I did before but this tots up all the correct dates etc.

• Advertisement

Honestly, if you have an iPhone or Smart phone then this app will make you're life easier. If you don't, sign up to www.fertilityfriend.com .What you're doing is exactly what I did before but this tots up all the correct dates etc.

Now that we have moved into the realms of 'assisted' conception I now have nice nurses to track my cycle. They tell me when to take my pills, tell me when to get scanned, when to inject the pregnyl, and even when to have sex. :D My own personal 'app' for a mere €300 per month :D I havent even used an OPK since June.

Neyite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need the lowdown (human) guide to trigger + TI, I'm starting next month. Give me the details!!!! I wanna know everything.. I got a booklet of course but need to hear from someone who's actually been there :)

Had my post op appt today. Was going swimmingly til doc said jump on the the bed there and we'll give you a quick scan. Both of us were shocked to see no egg growing. All follicles were antral, and I'm on day 10. Can't believe it, the cycle is bust before it even starts! I was very upset. He then said he wasn't happy at all with that and that he'll put me on Clomid. I said, errrr, I'm on it 11 months. He must have missed that when reading ove my chart before the appt :rolleyes: So then he recommended upping the dose, at which point I stated I'm done with clomid. So were going up a notch. He also read my mind about IVF and said he can book me in anytime, however he said I'd be mad to do it before trying trigger + TI as he reckons that'll be successful for us (how he knows/thinks that I don't know, poor man - at this stage I think he was just trying to keep my flailing spirits up).
    I did ask him what my % chances were of conceving now that the surgery is done and was a success. He wouldn't be drawn on answering that, all he said was you chances were zero % and now they're higher :rolleyes: - doctors and their smugness eh.... Ah I shouldn't be too hard on him, he was nice and very comforting overall. He also said I was a great patient, which I thought was mildly strange :p
    So trigger + TI, I have to say I never thought it would come to this. Bye bye any sort of a semblance of natural conception (well I guess that went out the window 11 months ago anyway)....

Welcome Denhaagenite. Have lots sex, and don't assume there are any fertility issues until you have been trying for 6 months to 1 year (actively ttc that is). It is actually quite difficult to get preggo believe it or not, a healthy couple with no issues have about a 20% chance each cycle. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sorry abotu the bust cycle Wolfpawnat, meet your sister! :(

Custard cream don't lose the faith yet, I know the two week wait is a pain in the a$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

I'm with you now on the 2week wait now custardcream...hate this bit...i spend the whole time imagining symptoms!!

Oh DFT I hope you're ok chick. I know you were prepared for this but I'd say it's still a huge shock to the system.

I love the support here, there's always someone to help/advise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ladies I have been part of this thread/forum for the past year ttc so I wanted to share my news with you first (well after telling dh :D) - I got my BFP!!!

I'm going anon because some of my family/friends are on this forum & I don't want anyone else knowing so early.

I tested yesterday lunchtime on a cheapie and got the faintest of lines. So rushed to the chemist to get a clearblue idiot proof 'pregnant/not pregnant' digital test & to my utter disbelief it came up pregnant :O

I will say I must thank from the bottom of my boots Iguana for recommending MACA to me, as for a whole year of not a sausage happening - I got my bfp after one month on this supplement.

It didn't regulate my cycle, my ovulation wasn't until CD18. However come ovulation day & there was an abundance of CM & my libido was through the roof (unusual for me!) so I firmly believe it did the trick.

Sorry as this is TMI, but after 2 miscarriages I am nervous & find myself on constant knicker watch for spotting. Hopefully if all goes well and if this pregnancy is meant to be, then the nerves will die down as the weeks go on.

I hope you don't mind if I still lurk on here for a while. Part of it is because I'm still in disbelief after 1+ year of TTC that I finally have my BFP. But also because I've gotten to know a lot of y'all so well on this thread that I'd miss catching up with you all x

I truly hope mine wont be the only BFP here this month & that you will all get your bfp's very VERY soon.

Babydust to you all x x x

denhaagenite I love the fertility friend website (don't have an iphone for the app :o) & found it great.
    I'm a bird brain so needed something like it to keep track of things :)

Custardcream & newbie - best of luck on the 2ww, hopefully it'll fly by for ye :)
    CC my husband sometimes says that to me. I'm only using him for his 'services' around ovulation time :o Just remind him the result will be worth it in the end!

Detectiv I'm so sorry the appointment today didn't go as planned :( Will they try you on the trigger shots for long before considering IVF? I really hope the new course of treatment will work for you - and soon!
    As an aside, that's mad the doctor telling you you were a good patient. Sounds like he was only short of patting you on the head & giving you a lolly ;)

If anyone has seen my motivation or has some to spare, will they please send it my way? dishwasher needs unloading/loading & sitting room needs to be de bomb sited, yet I find myself incapable of removing myself from the couch to get either done :o

Completely random this - Lucyfur did you decide yet whether to do the course or not?

Neyite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need the lowdown (human) guide to trigger + TI, I'm starting next month. Give me the details!!!! I wanna know everything.. I got a booklet of course but need to hear from someone who's actually been there :)

Had my post op appt today. Was going swimmingly til doc said jump on the the bed there and we'll give you a quick scan. Both of us were shocked to see no egg growing. All follicles were antral, and I'm on day 10. Can't believe it, the cycle is bust before it even starts! I was very upset. He then said he wasn't happy at all with that and that he'll put me on Clomid. I said, errrr, I'm on it 11 months. He must have missed that when reading ove my chart before the appt :rolleyes: So then he recommended upping the dose, at which point I stated I'm done with clomid. So were going up a notch. He also read my mind about IVF and said he can book me in anytime, however he said I'd be mad to do it before trying trigger + TI as he reckons that'll be successful for us (how he knows/thinks that I don't know, poor man - at this stage I think he was just trying to keep my flailing spirits up).
    I did ask him what my % chances were of conceving now that the surgery is done and was a success. He wouldn't be drawn on answering that, all he said was you chances were zero % and now they're higher :rolleyes: - doctors and their smugness eh.... Ah I shouldn't be too hard on him, he was nice and very comforting overall. He also said I was a great patient, which I thought was mildly strange :p
    So trigger + TI, I have to say I never thought it would come to this. Bye bye any sort of a semblance of natural conception (well I guess that went out the window 11 months ago anyway)

Glad to be your TI buddy!
    Righto. I got put on a 3 month trial of this in June, so I began 5x50mg clomid on CD1-5. Since I already ovulate, it gave me three whopper follicles so they cancelled the cycle, and we went home like a couple of teenagers being told to be careful. :p

If you overstimulate, they will scan you before your next clomid round because sometimes follies still hang around and can come to life again the following month with the next clomid dose. So you'd get a CD2 scan then take your clomid if this was the case. Then you get your follicle scan about CD12. In my clinic its 300 per cycle, includes any number of scans I need to get.

All going well, you will be told to take the Pregnyl (ovutrelle is the other trigger drug, but its really dear (about 150 because it does not require putting together the syringes and mixing the saline and powder the way pregnyl comes) Pregnyl is about 23-25 for all the bits and pieces. Pregnyl needs to go in a fridge but take it out a few hours before injecting so its not so cold (I didnt the first time and it felt wierd seeping into my blubber as it was freezing)

Mixing the pregnyl (probably the nurse will explain in detail and show you how to do the first one -Fooking gonna feel like Harry Potter with all the mixing next week) You get 2 ampoules of pregnyl, and 2 of water solution, a thin and a thick needle and a syringe, so you first loosen the lid of both needles to have them ready. Put thick needle on syringe. Flick water ampule so water bubble is at the top. put your thumb on the black dot on the top of ampoule and snap off. Do same for the powder and add to the liquid. draw into syringe. repeat with the other water and powder ampule. Then you need to swap to the thin needle. You pinch an inch on your belly about paralell with your bellybutton, and inject.

Ovulation occurs 40 hours after this injection (according to our nurses, but t'internet says 36hrs) Then you have a shag prior to ovulation, and one after. Apparently you are not to go at it like bunnies, as the swimmers need lots of hours to regenerate.

The bad news? The two week wait becomes the two and a half week wait. You cant test early, cos the HGC gives you a false positive. Last month my period came when it was due, and came 4 days before I was supposed to test.

It does feel weird that we are officially on the clinical road, and sometimes I do get a bit sad that we couldnt do it naturally but I suppose my drive to be a mother overrides this. The doctors are gonna be a bit more cautious with the stats - the nurses (which you will probably be dealing with on your scans) are a lot more forthcoming with the stats. I was told that TI works on 20% of infertile couples within 3 months.

I am going for my CD12 scan on Wed. I will keep you posted on it.

Also, is there anything himself could be doing to improve our chances? Or is the pressure all on me ;) ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Got the results of my first round of blood tests which are normal so far and had the second lot taken today. I had a smear test last week to test for reproductive anomalies (I wasn't due a regular smear for another year so that was a treat:rolleyes:). The doctor said that hopefully the heavy periods and spotting throughout the cycle could have been worsened by the iron deficiency, but there is a chicken and egg thing going on as to which caused the other. I'll have a better idea when the smear test results come back, although obviously that won't rule out everything. But at least now that I've had the second hormone test I can start taking the full range of supplements that should support my hormone system. I really need to take a picture of all the supplements I have in the house for ttc. I'm like an old style apothecary except for the plastic bottles.
    Also, is there anything himself could be doing to improve our chances? Or is the pressure all on me ?

Nope there is plenty he should ideally be doing too. It's all too easy to focus on what we can do as women but sperm health is just as important and there is lots he can do to help it out. First things are to stop wearing tight underwear as the testes should be light and cool, not have a laptop over his groin area to stop the testes getting too warm and avoid hot baths or very long hot showers (the testes hang out of the body to keep them below body temperature so getting too warm is really bad for sperm). Ideally all alcohol, nicotine and medications should be avoided. If he drinks or smokes he should consider quitting or at least cutting back drastically as alcohol and nicotine can not only damage motility and quantity but they can lead to loss of sperm dna, causing miscarriage, lower IQs and very rarely birth defects. Some medications have similar effects so it's best to check with a good doctor if he is on any regular medication.

A good diet with lots of vitamins and minerals is also important. Cutting back on fatty, overly salted and heavily sugared foods is recommended. And in the second half of this post, I listed some food supplements that have all been associated with improved sperm. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73663548&postcount=2164

• Advertisement

Glad to be your TI buddy!
    Righto. I got put on a 3 month trial of this in June, so I began 5x50mg clomid on CD1-5. Since I already ovulate, it gave me three whopper follicles so they cancelled the cycle, and we went home like a couple of teenagers being told to be careful. :p

If you overstimulate, they will scan you before your next clomid round because sometimes follies still hang around and can come to life again the following month with the next clomid dose. So you'd get a CD2 scan then take your clomid if this was the case. Then you get your follicle scan about CD12. In my clinic its 300 per cycle, includes any number of scans I need to get.

All going well, you will be told to take the Pregnyl (ovutrelle is the other trigger drug, but its really dear (about 150 because it does not require putting together the syringes and mixing the saline and powder the way pregnyl comes) Pregnyl is about 23-25 for all the bits and pieces. Pregnyl needs to go in a fridge but take it out a few hours before injecting so its not so cold (I didnt the first time and it felt wierd seeping into my blubber as it was freezing)

Mixing the pregnyl (probably the nurse will explain in detail and show you how to do the first one -Fooking gonna feel like Harry Potter with all the mixing next week) You get 2 ampoules of pregnyl, and 2 of water solution, a thin and a thick needle and a syringe, so you first loosen the lid of both needles to have them ready. Put thick needle on syringe. Flick water ampule so water bubble is at the top. put your thumb on the black dot on the top of ampoule and snap off. Do same for the powder and add to the liquid. draw into syringe. repeat with the other water and powder ampule. Then you need to swap to the thin needle. You pinch an inch on your belly about paralell with your bellybutton, and inject.

Ovulation occurs 40 hours after this injection (according to our nurses, but t'internet says 36hrs) Then you have a shag prior to ovulation, and one after. Apparently you are not to go at it like bunnies, as the swimmers need lots of hours to regenerate.

The bad news? The two week wait becomes the two and a half week wait. You cant test early, cos the HGC gives you a false positive. Last month my period came when it was due, and came 4 days before I was supposed to test.

It does feel weird that we are officially on the clinical road, and sometimes I do get a bit sad that we couldnt do it naturally but I suppose my drive to be a mother overrides this. The doctors are gonna be a bit more cautious with the stats - the nurses (which you will probably be dealing with on your scans) are a lot more forthcoming with the stats. I was told that TI works on 20% of infertile couples within 3 months.

I am going for my CD12 scan on Wed. I will keep you posted on it.

Wow. Just wow. Squishy hugs for both of you:)

We'll all have to meet up when we have our babies:D

Cap, yup, I'm doing the course, have packed in my job...midlife crisis r us...hahahahahaa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement