Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some divx files playable & some not?

• 15-02-2008 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi, has this happened to anyone, when burning files to dvd some files are showing up WRONG FILE CONTENT :confused: does anyone know why that is.

Would it have something to do with 2 or more files being .avi as i was told a while back you could change the file ext. (to divx) but then again theyre about the same thing arent they ?

If anyone has anymore on this, i'll be happy to listen as this is as far i know on the matter.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭andy1249

AVI is whats called a container , and can actually contain many different video types , such as xvid , divx , and so on. As well as that , Divx has had many different versions , such as Divx 5 , divx 6 , and so on.

You player can probably handle just a selection of these Divx types and not them all , so there will be files you get that cant be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

andy1249 wrote: »
    AVI is whats called a container , and can actually contain many different video types , such as xvid , divx , and so on. As well as that , Divx has had many different versions , such as Divx 5 , divx 6 , and so on.

You player can probably handle just a selection of these Divx types and not them all , so there will be files you get that cant be played.

Thanks, as its confusing at the start :confused: here's the link at the bottom of that webpage on how to change your ext.

As i thought the .avi wouldnt play if i burnt it with .divx files so i changed the ext going by that link, but im still only new to this part :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Could a number of things but it's usually GMC or Qpel being enabled during the encode which hampers some hardware during playback.

Advertisement