Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apprenticeships

Options
  • 15-02-2008 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey all,

Anyone have any advice who the best would be to do an apprenticeship with??

And why is there appears to be no jobs going! Wrong time of year??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Might help if you told us where you are.
    Also, can we presume it's a motor mechanic apprenticeship you're after?

Service manager in Frank Keane's told me a while back that they are looking for a few apprentices but can't seem to get them. Having said that, and guessing from your name you think that's good news, I'd be inclined to advise against it. They're a solely BMW garage so you'd only be working on BMW and MINI. How much use is that to you when the time comes to move on. Even if you did a year or two there, you might struggle to get someone to take you on and pay 2nd or 3rd year rates to someone who is more like a 1st year unless the car is made in Bavaria.

I'd advise either a good independent garage or a multi franchise dealer. Even more will probably advise to give up on the idea and go to college instead. No reason why you can't go to college at night after you've served your time though and I think a trade is no bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Do an apprenticeship but prepare for a career move when you finish. I'm a qualified fitter but recently I've been working in sales. Thought about going back on the spanners as its far more interesting and at least you use your brain.Then I saw the wages available. Its shocking to think that you spend 4 years training and end up been offered jobs that pay less than tescos & dunnes. Two of my friends have recently emigrated to Australia pureley because of the wages. I was offered a job by an agency 2 weeks ago for 23k for a 48hr week. When I "had words" with the girl in the agency , she told me that I had to "compete with the poles".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

groupb wrote: »
    Do an apprenticeship but prepare for a career move when you finish. I'm a qualified fitter but recently I've been working in sales. Thought about going back on the spanners as its far more interesting and at least you use your brain.Then I saw the wages available. Its shocking to think that you spend 4 years training and end up been offered jobs that pay less than tescos & dunnes. Two of my friends have recently emigrated to Australia pureley because of the wages. I was offered a job by an agency 2 weeks ago for 23k for a 48hr week. When I "had words" with the girl in the agency , she told me that I had to "compete with the poles".

..........that IS shocking. I hadn't realised that in this day and age, where huge money is spent on new cars, they still pay mechanics very little.

I did as you have done, served my time, worked a few years and then switched to sales. When qualified working for yourself is a good option since the dealers charge €100/hour pay staff very little, there is room to significantly undersut them yet still make decent money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ImaBM-man

@ milltown

Sorry should have said more, Im in Dublin! I did try the college thing and it wasnt for me, more of a hands on type! I no the wages are awful but Ive great hopes for myself so workin for some1 else hopefully wont be a full time thing!

I'll try Frank Keane anyway, getting my foot in the door would be a good start!;)

Advertisement