Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hey Big Spender....

• 15-02-2008 4:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

So here are the figures for the top 20 transfer spenders in the world this season (1st attchment).

City come in second thanks to our new found wealth. Only really the 8.8 million spent on Bianchi could be seen as being money wasted, though hopefully we'll get most of that back in the summer.

Surprising to see Sunderland up there in 4th though they have bought a lot of players.

United and Spurs are the other English clubs to make the top 10 after busy summers.

I have also included the profit and loss for each Premiership team (2nd attachment) and the spending figures over the past 5 years.

Interesting reading I think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

From my point of view, I don't need to even glance at those figures to ascertain Arsenals position. Put simply, Arsene Wenger is the best manager in the world in terms of transfer yields and abiltity to get the best out of the resources he has.

Mick O'Leary should offer him a Ryanair job if he ever packs in the football :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

For a team on top of the premiership, those stats for arsenal are just unbelievable! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wenger is just magical in the market.

I always forget just how much Fulham spent this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sunderland :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Arsene Wenger is a managerial genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yikes 84 million by liverpool over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Jaysus i knew Wenger was good in the market but i didn't realise he was that good...

we see figures for transfers and revenue a lot, but are there any profitability figures floating around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The 5 year one is the only one of any real significance in the sense that you can get a true reflection of how much wealth a club really has. Anyone can pump money in for just one year and then fall off into obscurity.

And even when you look at Arsenal's spending over the last 5 years it's phenomenal the amount of relative success they've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well done to blackburn too, he has done very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Arsene Wenger is a credit to football management. It amazes me how Lawrie Sanchez can get a job (And buy "job" i mean spend the clubs money on dirt) when Wenger does what he does.

Its a pity he never sees anything! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe he can't see the transfer funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

some figures for Arsenal! Wenger is very good but I think those figures might be off a bit. A lot of Arsenal's recent transfers have been for undiscolosed amounts. Not sure how you can add those in.

Those figures might be a little bit off, but at most, he's spent about 7 million since Rafa took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    Those figures might be a little bit off, but at most, he's spent about 7 million since Rafa took over.

Thats absolutely shocking when you consider the talent in the Arsenal squad. In my opinion, the best manager around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kudos to Wenger, Hughes, Moyes and Coppell.

Neg. Karma to Rafa, Newcastle in general and Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote: »

What are you basing that on then PHB? Oh and also, what does it have to do with Rafa?

And finally to OP, where did the numbers come from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Napoli at 9 !

In this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055102447

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/1783/42729.xls

Wenger since 4.6 million since Rafa and Mourinho took over, that's all it has to do with Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And finally to OP, where did the numbers come from ?

It tells you at the bottom of each table -

soccerbase.com, premierleague.com, The Times, Telegraph and Guardian.

The international ones come from transfermarkt.de.

Obviously it's impossible to be 100% accurate but they're as close as you'll get.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Napoli at 9 !
    Very big club who are back in the big time. No surprise really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement