Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright being extended to 95 years...

Options
  • 15-02-2008 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Musicians had reason to celebrate yesterday after the European Commission proposed extending the copyright period for performers from the current 50 to 95 years.

The EU's internal market commissioner Charlie McCreevy, who is to make the proposal, said: "I have not seen or heard a convincing reason why a composer of music should benefit from a term of copyright that extends to the composer's life and 70 years beyond, while the performer should enjoy 50 years, often not even covering his lifetime."

Performers who began their careers in their early 20s would get to their 70s and the copyright for their recordings would run out at a vulnerable time in their lives, he said.

"It is the performer who gives life to the composition and while most of us have no idea who wrote our favourite song, we can usually name the performer," he added.

The copyright for a song or piece of music, and the money that earns, is split into two parts. .

McCreevy right on song with his copyright plans, say musicians
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mccreevy-right-on-song-with-his-copyright-plans-say-musicians-1290138.html

EU following the US following corporate lobbying

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I read about this alright, its complete bollox

there excuse saying people live longer, I'm sorry but who creates a copyright work at lets say 20 years of age and then lives to 115?

This is nothing to do with the small artist and more to do with the big companys getting more money for longer..especially when the artist die's

Advertisement