Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F***ing NTL - Ridiculous carry on...

Options
  • 15-02-2008 9:17am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I upgraded my broadband from 2mb to 6mb a few weeks ago. Was working fine, then one day stopped. I have experience these problems before, but they would usually be fixed within a few hours. It has been off for 3 days.

I've called them, been through the usual sh!te restarting modems etc. Was on hold for a total of about 45 mins, spoke to 3 different people about the same dam problem, everyone passes the ball.

They want to send someone out. Soonest is a week away, and I have to take time off work - they can only give me an am/pm - nothing more exact. If I want a Saturday that's 2 weeks wait.

This is completely and utterly inexcusable for a service provider.

Has anyone got any tips as to how I can get this sorted more quickly?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Zascar wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips as to how I can get this sorted more quickly?

Ask to be put through to cancellations.

On another note, they recently won an award for best ISP... :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Them wanting to send out an engineer is , mostly, a stalling tactic. An engineer will come out and not do anything, because he/she can't.

It will buy another week or three time for NTL support before they have to kick it up the chain. That chain is infinitely long.

Cut your losses. Dump them and go with somebody else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really really do not want to go with someone else. I don't want to get a phone line. I don't want another bill. I just want my 6mb line working again ! AAAAHHHHHH!

You MAY be waiting for a VERY long time. Have you searched the forum here for NTL or Chorus or UPC. Nothing else, just one of those three terms. I bet you the majority of the results will be broadband related and I bet you the majority of THOSE results will be problems VERY similar to yours.

Smart Telecom offer a much better deal for less moola. Digiweb Metro is also pretty good.

Just look into it with a semi open mind. I know what you're going through, I've been there. It wasn't nice.

I'll leave you to make your own conclusions

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I hear smart are great, how do I find out if they are in my area (monkstown) if I do not have a phoneline?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My point probably wasn't clear enough. Cancellations have the power to send out engineers within a day (no need unless modem is dead, possible but unlikely) they are also more likely to compensate and will probably do something about it.

Yes I hear smart are great, how do I find out if they are in my area (monkstown) if I do not have a phoneline?

Get the landline phone number for ANYBODY in your immediate area and enter that number into the line checker on www.smarttelecom.ie It will tell you if the exchange is enabled.

Not a guarantee that you can get broadband from them. But if they have the exchange LLU'd, get in a phone line from Eircom, transfer it over to Smart and give them a ring. The only downside is that if you can't get DSL, you will have wasted a month or two of line rental but you can cancel it as soon as you know you can't get DSL. No penalties.

If you just have your phone line disconnected but it's still physically running to your house, eircom shouldn't charge for the reconnection. However, they may charge a nominal fee for flicking their switch.

NTL have been back in contact and I'm delighted to say they are getting someone out to me tomorrow.

Now that is the type of service I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sheilaflynn

dont talk to me about ntl,they asked my poor mother who is 85 years old if she knew about tcp/ip when she was on to them about her line,i mean come on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

NTL have been back in contact and I'm delighted to say they are getting someone out to me tomorrow.

Now that is the type of service I like!

please, dont be so happy yet... they are fising my internet from 4 months - and this is how it looks today, and every other day...

C:\ping -n 20 www.boards.ie

Badanie www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] z użyciem 32 bajtów danych:

Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=218ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=179ms TTL=52
    Upłynął limit czasu żądania.
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=203ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=246ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=221ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=207ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=268ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=251ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=222ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=261ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=251ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=260ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=241ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=357ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=268ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=277ms TTL=52
    Odpowiedź z 89.234.66.107: bajtów=32 czas=215ms TTL=52

Statystyka badania ping dla 89.234.66.107:
    Pakiety: Wysłane = 20, Odebrane = 19, Utracone = 3 (15 % loss),
    Szacunkowy czas błądzenia pakietów w millisekundach:
    Minimum = 179 ms, Maksimum = 357 ms, Czas średni = 238 ms

good luck :/

• Advertisement

Well they came out as promised on Saturday and had it working in 5 mins.
    They even came back today to re-wire the whole thing :)

Woke up on Saturday morning to see that my line is down again. VERY P!SSED OFF. I had planned a very quiet long weekend just chilling at home cathing up on some work and other stuff all for which I need internet access for. I called NTL twice got the usualy bull baout callbacks but never recieved any. Whole long weekend with no internet - not happy.

They will be getting a call on Tuesday and unless they can pull something special out of the bag I am changing. I know it will cost me more money but at least I will have a service I can rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Woke up on Saturday morning to see that my line is down again. VERY P!SSED OFF. I had planned a very quiet long weekend just chilling at home cathing up on some work and other stuff all for which I need internet access for. I called NTL twice got the usualy bull baout callbacks but never recieved any. Whole long weekend with no internet - not happy.

They will be getting a call on Tuesday and unless they can pull something special out of the bag I am changing. I know it will cost me more money but at least I will have a service I can rely on.

I had a great call with them, i asked why my ping is 505 on speedtest and they said 'everything is fine here' and that helps me how? They said ' Well we dont know, here is another number you can ring, they know more than us'.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

k99_64 wrote: »
    I had a great call with them, i asked why my ping is 505 on speedtest and they said 'everything is fine here' and that helps me how? They said ' Well we dont know, here is another number you can ring, they know more than us'.

Was that number 1550 924 124 by any chance? At 95 cent per min!! They tried that on me also gave me the number I checked it on there web site, seen it was 95 cent per min and rang the free fone number back and told them I was not paying for a call to get there broadband fixed, they then put me through to someone who had a clue.
    I think there could be a possibility that they are being told to try and get people to ring that number so they can make more money from poor customers with broken crap broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Automan wrote: »
    Was that number 1550 924 124 by any chance? At 95 cent per min!! They tried that on me also gave me the number I checked it on there web site, seen it was 95 cent per min and rang the free fone number back and told them I was not paying for a call to get there broadband fixed, they then put me through to someone who had a clue.
    I think there could be a possibility that they are being told to try and get people to ring that number so they can make more money from poor customers with broken crap broadband.

Yes thats the number i got given!

Advertisement