Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise -trek 1000 or trek 1200?!

Options
  • 15-02-2008 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys,
    im looking to get either a trek 1000 or a 1200. heres the deal. im a novice cycler and would mainly be using the bike for commuting around dublin. i will be planning on going on longer trips however ( by long i mean dublin - limerick, dublin - achill!). these are the two bikes i have been advised to look at.

has anyone got any thoughts or suggestions? i dont know much about cycling technology or what i should be looking out for!

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I got the Trek 1000 about a year ago, don't have very much experience cycling other bikes but I've used it very regularly for commuting and longer distances and haven't had a single problem with it. Maybe someone with more experience will have some bad words to say about it but I'd definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i got my first road bike last year and after looking around, most people seemed to
    recommend the Giant SCR 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had a Trek 1000 and found it a very good bike. Note the 1000 and 1200 are gone in 08- replaced by the 1.2, 1.5 etc.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/road/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I am not sure about these bikes or any road bikes for some of your longer spins. The reason is that that distance would be done at a more relaxed pace and the wheels and tyres will take hammering on some unkind surfaces.

I suggest you buy as good a bike as you can afford and keep the weight as low as possible, but know that most road bikes are not great tourers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I have a 1200 and I tested a 1000 before buying the 1200. I'm pretty happy with the 1200 because I get a Tiagra/105 derailleur combinationa s opposed to the Sora/Tiagra combo on the 1000. Sora really is bog-standard. It works fine but I found the shifting levers on the inside of the hoods a bit painful to use. I much prefer the Tiagra shifters.

Giant SCR3 is a good bike but it is comparable to the 1000 and not 1200.

• Advertisement
Advertisement