Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renters insurance

Options
  • 15-02-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I Rent a room in a decent house. I have been getting a bit worried about all my stuff lately though as there seems to be a lot of burglaries lately. I have asked teh landlord if my stuff is covered under house insurance but gotten no reply yet.

What is the story with renters insurance, how much is it, who does it and is it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Contents only insurance is available from most insurers if you (or you and your partner) are the only tenants. If you rent a room in a house with a bunch ofothers it can be very hard to find. I have no idea who will actually cover contents of a room in a shared house, ring around the usual suspects is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

I rent a room in a landlord occupied house and wish to get content insurance on the contents of my room.

I have rang quinn direct and they will do it for 122 euros, but will only pay a max of 2000 on each electronic item.

123.ie quote 250, and will pay 2500 per item damaged /stolen and will include accidental cover in this.

has anyone any dealings with these companies in relation to this which do you think is the better offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Doesn't seem to be any need for two seperate threads. Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Go with FBD, my brother has a policy with them, since last year. He has €40,000, contents only, cover and it cost him only €80.

went with Quinn direct. 122 quid for the year up to a value of 10K. FBD quoted 178 euros, but thats up to a value of 25K, and i dont need that much cover! i dont have 10K worth of stuff, or anything near it. I just have a few things id struggle to replace if anything nasty happened. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

a whole house and contents is only maybe 400 euro so sounds very dear to be asking for 150 euro for contents alone for you

yea, you are correct, but there are different cryteria here, such as there are 2 other tennants ( folks who dont own the property) and I dont own the property. Apparently if you are just a renter the price is much greater than if you are a homeowner and are insuring your entire contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

fguihen wrote: »
    went with Quinn direct. 122 quid for the year up to a value of 10K. FBD quoted 178 euros, but thats up to a value of 25K, and i dont need that much cover! i dont have 10K worth of stuff, or anything near it. I just have a few things id struggle to replace if anything nasty happened. Thanks all.
    yea, you are correct, but there are different cryteria here, such as there are 2 other tennants ( folks who dont own the property) and I dont own the property. Apparently if you are just a renter the price is much greater than if you are a homeowner and are insuring your entire contents.

Still seems a tad expensive to me, considering my brother shares with three people and his ended up being €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eoinmul

I got a similar quote from quinn but they told me that only my stuff would be covered and not anyone else in the house. Were you told that everyone's contents would be covered?

Advertisement