Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given a promotion - Need advice!

• 15-02-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I have recently ben given a promotion to practice manager, i work in a veterinary practice and have been there about 4 1/2 years. But recently have been questioning my future, so went to my boss and discused it with him and he offered me the new job.

Now we have never had a practive manager, my boss did everything himself. And know about the day to day running of the practice and I do have an understanding of management, have been a manager in a pub but i would like to take a course, sponsered by work of course, to given me more knowledge....

Can anyone give me advice on evening or weekend courses, i have looked at a few but am unsure!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skinnybop

You could try a PRINCE2 course if its project management you are doing or maybe one of the irish times management courses http://www.ireland.com/training/management/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can you be more specific about the kind of skills you want to obtain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

It is basically accounts,marketing,HR, basically helping in running a small private business. Have looked at a few courses, ITT and DBS but jsut unsure about time contraints etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

skinnybop wrote: »
    You could try a PRINCE2 course if its project management you are doing or maybe one of the irish times management courses http://www.ireland.com/training/management/

No, Prince2 is aimed squarely at project managers, not exactly what Jules needs.
    Jules wrote: »
    It is basically accounts,marketing,HR, basically helping in running a small private business. Have looked at a few courses, ITT and DBS but jsut unsure about time contraints etc.

ITT, or ITTD as they are now known, do some good management courses. I should know, I lectured on a few of them. Have a look at this one. It covers all of the above, and more.

Now, you can take my advice two ways - biased, or full of insider knowledge. I would prefer the latter. But seriously, the management department are sh!t hot, there are some seriously good lecturers there and they run a good show.

I should also point out that I am no longer associated with the college.

Advertisement