Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood flooring from the US

Options
  • 15-02-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Hi

Has anyone ever bought wood flooring from the US..I am aware of the customs etc...but just want to know if anyone has done it and was it worth it??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can i ask the reaon why? Surely its is not so much cheaper than here. You have to add shipping (its heavy) and customs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I came across a few places that are selling decent hardwoods at anything between 89 cent and 5 dollars per sq. foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

The actual shipping costs are not that much, its the paperwork that is expensive, bit like ryanair prices: I shipped 165 lbs weight from LA as follows

Shop to shipping agent in San Pedro port: 65$
    US Paperwork: 65$
    LA to Ballymun by container [road to NY/ship to London/oad to Ballymun]100$
    IE Paperwork 65 euro
    Shipping agent charge for processing duty draft 40 euro!
    Actual duty: not relevant here.
    Shipping from Ballymun to Swords: 65 euro

The point is that all except the 100$ and duty are pretty fixed.

If shipping timber explore the Dept of Agri requirements re checking for beetles etc

Advertisement