Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat Kenny

Options
  • 15-02-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Just been told there's a discussion on Pat Kenny re gun ownership. I have no radio access here. Anyone get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There was a shooting on a University Campus in Chicago yesterday. Pat Kenny was discussing this.

You can stream it off the RTE website, it's the very first item on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Havnt any speakers here:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's already up on the RTE website-
    www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-todaywithpatkenny-Friday.smil

Approximately the first 20 minutes or so.

There's a thread on it over in After Hours.

It seems I got an email read out by PK today regarding a factual error on Fridays show. It's about 33 minutes into the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

rrpc wrote: »
    It seems I got an email read out by PK today regarding a factual error on Fridays show. It's about 33 minutes into the show.

What was in your email? Same problem, no speakers:(

• Advertisement

This:
    Dear Pat.
    I was listening to your show on the RTE website and heard your guest Dr. Harry Kennedy refer to the fact that firearms ownership per capita is higher in Ireland than it is in the UK.

This is in fact not true. This statistic was derived from numbers of firearms certificates issued in each jurisdiction which is extremely misleading for the following reasons:

The figures quoting the number of licences are misleading because in Ireland each firearm is licensed, whereas in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland it is the owner that is licensed. In cases of multiple firearm ownership, the number of licences does not equate to the number of licensed firearms.

Secondly, in Ireland all air powered firearms above 1 joule in energy (anything above airsoft effectively) are also licensed, as are starting pistols (blank firing) and veterinary humane killers. These ‘firearms’ are not licensed in the United Kingdom.

These statistics were compiled by the 'Small Arms Survey 2007' and have been quoted widely. I have written to the organisation responsible and have pointed out the above very important distinctions to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pfft, Two letters before you name, a doctor it does not make

Mellor wrote: »
    pfft, Two letters before you name, a doctor it does not make
    To be fair to the guy, he was quoting from this document. It's not his fault that it was not properly researched.

They never responded to my submission, at least Pat Kenny did :)

Advertisement