Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Returns Policy

Options
  • 15-02-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Ok. Quick Question

Yesterday I attempted to return an item that was faulty to a tesco Store in Carlow. The item was bought in a different store. I bought the item one week ago and had a valid receipt.

The Person at the customer service desk informed me quite rudely that I needed to return it to the shop that I bought it. She said she was unable to help me at all...

Wasnt in the form for kickin up a fuss !!!!

Surely this does not sound right !!!

Any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've retured a couple of things to Tesco over the years and never had any problem, but I've always gone back to the store where I bought the item. In fairness, they were under no obligiation to refund me as the items weren't faulty, so I've found them very good in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The item is faulty, so they must refund, repair or replace by law.

I would have imagined that Tesco would accept items at any store (seeing as how they are not a franchise). Can anyone else shed some light on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stores are locally managed. Bring it back to where you got it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The rudeness of the staff is a separate issue. I would have thought that youd need to go back to the original store. Even if its still Tesco, a separate store should really have no obligation to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They might, but they'll be very reluctant to. The returns are 'charged' to each store, so if you buy in store A but return to store B, store 'B's figures look the worse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This happened to me, bought a €15 mixer in Waterford when I was passing through, and there was no way I was going back to Waterford to return it. So I did kick up a fuss, and they rang Waterford and agreed to take it back on their behalf. Tesco operates like a chain, so I'll treat them like a chain.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would have thought that Tesco would treat returns in the same way as Argos do. You can return an item to any Argos store and get refund without any problems. I've even had a DVD player that was bought up the north and returned it in Dublin without any hassle, even with the currency difference on the receipt. The returned item should surely be able to be charged back to the originating store, in order to keep the books balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jor el wrote: »
    I would have thought that Tesco would treat returns in the same way as Argos do. You can return an item to any Argos store and get refund without any problems. I've even had a DVD player that was bought up the north and returned it in Dublin without any hassle, even with the currency difference on the receipt. The returned item should surely be able to be charged back to the originating store, in order to keep the books balanced.

Same with Marks and Spencer. It's a chain so you can return goods at any store in the UK and Ireland. I would have though that Tesco would have had the same policy obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Trx wrote: »

Wasnt in the form for kickin up a fuss !!!!

Therein lies the problem and the solution.

Advertisement