Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the commitments 20 years on

• 15-02-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

watched the commitments on sky last night it was made nearly 20 years ago this year still funny as hell. but watching scenery of dublin f*** has it changed ,all of the docklands area gone now.but being a northsider i love the dialog some of it still used today.Its was 20 years ago boggers didnt understand it, probably still cant but what would our new adopted irish think of it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Jaysis, Glen Hansard's older than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

i've never seen it
    Although alot of people seem to like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I believe in the US they handed out leaflets with all the slang so that the audience could get some grasp of what they were saying.

Film still makes me LOL and the soundtrack is pretty damn good too.

Mustang Sally :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

the what now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Toddle off now and play, phasers. The grown-ups are chatting ;)

Was it made in '88? Cos I definitely went to see it in the cinema in autumn '91. I'd be surprised if it was made before 1990. But meh, still the best part of 20 years ago - yikes!
    Brilliant film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

The Barrytown Trilogy is still the funniest (3) books ive ever read.
    I love the movies aswell - If only to see Dublin as it was 20 yrs ago.

And Colm Meaney - every line has me in stitches - then he went off to space :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

jazoo wrote: »
    .Its was 20 years ago boggers didnt understand it, probably still cant

yes they did, shows all you know coming for co meath

Ah jazoo says he/she is a northsider - probably one of those poshies who's bought a gaff out in Dunboyne or Dunshaughlin... ;)

We understood The Commitments perfectly in the People's Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was 1991 so I guess 17 years on is close enough.:D Still love it and can recite a lot of it verbatim.
    "On a f***** Suzuki."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

is that bottom deco or top deco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

What do you play?
    I used to play football in school.
    I mean, what instrument?
    I don't.
    What are you doing here, then?
    Well, I saw everyone else lining up, so, uh - I thought yous were selling drugs.

Was gonna quote that one. Great film, the trilogy of books is excellent.

LadyJ wrote: »
    Jaysis, Glen Hansard's older than I thought.
    Just wiki'd. He's nearly 38 - I actually thought he'd be over 40 by now. He seems older than 20/21 in The Commitments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Dudess wrote: »
    Just wiki'd. He's nearly 38 - I actually thought he'd be over 40 by now. He seems older than 20/21 in The Commitments.
    Yeah, I guess I just always think of him as being around 30.

Yeah, he kinda hasn't changed a lot over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

"Good girl Sharon. Here's a tenner go and buy some sweets.....I mean drinks"

hahahahaha. The commitments is brilliant too

Micah ''dont **** with me' 'Walsh what a drummer! Great film

I preffered the Van though. More of Meaney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah jazoo says he/she is a northsider - probably one of those poshies who's bought a gaff out in Dunboyne or Dunshaughlin... ;)

We understood The Commitments perfectly in the People's Republic.

HA HA been called every name under the sun. but never a poshie thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Quality film, never knew there were books. Gonna read them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

never knew there was books either, must have a scope aroung to find some of them

Have all those on dvd, got the five in one, think a duvet day is in order for sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Loved the film, where are they all now?? (Actors i mean) i know where some went (Hansard & Doyle) but the rest just seemed to dissapear after the film...

Also, i remember hearing something afew years back about a sequel. Anyboy else hear something along those lines??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I like a flock 'o budgies

one of my all time favourite movies! love it, not 20 years yet tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

is_that_so wrote: »
    "On a f***** Suzuki."

I love that line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I have still yet to see this movie :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm sure RTE will show it again soon enough. They've only shown it about 48000 times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Always hated that film. I blame Andrew Strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saw Andrew Strong live in 2001 in a small club.
    Was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Jaysus, I just seen Imelda Quirkes arse comign down a ladder!!!!

:D

Brilliant film

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What do you play?
    I used to play football in school.
    I mean, what instrument?
    I don't.
    What are you doing here, then?
    Well, I saw everyone else lining up, so, uh - I thought yous were selling drugs.

Ah yes,complete with the irish-stage-fair-city interrogative inflection.See also Prosperity,The big Bow Wow etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

is_that_so wrote: »
    "On a f***** Suzuki."
    Best one liner in a movie ever! :D

Dun laoire wrote:
    "Good girl Sharon. Here's a tenner go and buy some sweets.....I mean drinks"
    Wrong film there buddy!

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Loved the film, where are they all now?? (Actors i mean) i know where some went (Hansard & Doyle) but the rest just seemed to dissapear after the film...

Also, i remember hearing something afew years back about a sequel. Anyboy else hear something along those lines??

Robert "Jimmy Rabbite" Arkins is studying english in trinity and a right sour-faced prick he is too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Its was 20 years ago boggers didnt understand it, probably still cant but what would our new adopted irish think of it
    As a born and bred Mayo man I can officially tell you to go fup yourself - we understood it perfectly! :D

Great film, one of my all time favourites. 20 years ago though, wow. Definitely my favourite of the trilogy.

"Elvis was a cajun? That's fukkin blasphemy!" :D

Nah it's definitely not 20 years since they began to make it - unless it took three years, which I doubt. 1991 is the year it was released. I was in first year and a big group of us went to see it.
    all of the docklands area gone now
    I lived in Ringsend last year - supposed to have been a right ****-heap back in the day. It's still a bit grotty in places now, but generally it's a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Aaah shower of skangers,couldn't understand a word they said.

So inarticulate and guttural.

• Advertisement

A few of my mates at the time were in the auditions scenes..two punks and a singing punk girl(she was the female singer in the band Paranoid Visions).There was a copyright issue because the band didnt receive royalties for using the song in t he film and they got a few quid in a settlement.
    Andrea Corr(out of the Corrs) was also in it as Rabbite's siter..her only lines were "go an shiite"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Jugs82 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Hansard is in the process of vanishing up his own arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Micah ''dont **** with me' 'Walsh what a drummer! Great film

it was wallace actually, not walsh! ;)

i like the committments but i despise all of roddy doyle related material. i think its unfair to say that dublin hasnt changed since the 80's! The dole queues arent as long and there are alot more foreign nationals living here!

The same film couldnt really be pulled off today as well without making some changes.

Imagine a D4 version of the film???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's my line!!!!

Degsy wrote: »
    Robert "Jimmy Rabbite" Arkins is studying english in trinity and a right sour-faced prick he is too!

"I'm Joey "The Lips" Fagan
    I'm Jimmy "The Bollox" Rabbitte
    I got my name for my horn playing what did you get yours for? :D

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    it was wallace actually, not walsh! ;)

i like the committments but i despise all of roddy doyle related material. i think its unfair to say that dublin hasnt changed since the 80's! The dole queues arent as long and there are alot more foreign nationals living here!

The same film couldnt really be pulled off today as well without making some changes.

Imagine a D4 version of the film???? :eek:

The bloke who inflicted "Prosperity" on us is in the process of doing just that.Its some load of crap called "six stories" about the unlikely inhabitants of an apartment block.gay couples,muslim clerics,jewish women..all the sterotypes will be t here no doubt spouting his cliched,stilted dialogue complete witth painfull pauses.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Singing on the dart?Good grief. Same guy made Fame the movie and it shows. I watched it in cinema in tel aviv and it was the cringiest moment i've ever had in a cinema(and i've had a few). Was surprised to see 2 old school mates in it...J rabbit and the sax player. Shine on Rosmini but tank that bucket of a flick.

faceman wrote: »
    i think its unfair to say that dublin hasnt changed since the 80's!
    I don't think anyone has said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'have ye any salmon'

'sorry mister, we only have soul'

class film and every time i walk by the vhi building in town i still think of the scene in the movie where the dart passes by while its being built

Every time I pass the VHI building, it means I'm rushing for (and more than likely after missing) the bus to Cork. Horrible stinky Busarus...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

One of the finest buildings in ireland. Ergonomic and stylishly detailed. One of the 20th centuries most important architcts(whose name escapes me).Italian dude. Pants movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the lad who played the uileann pipes in the audition scenes used to sit beside me in school, and made a few quid selling copies of H&E he used to sneak out of easons.

that's it really, everybody back to what you were doing.

tbh wrote: »
    the lad who played the uileann pipes in the audition scenes used to sit beside me in school, and made a few quid selling copies of H&E he used to sneak out of easons.

that's it really, everybody back to what you were doing.

I hope you live long enough to write your memoirs,truly i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The film is just as famous for it's use of F swear word than anything else and it showed Dubliners as they were just before the the pre-cetic tiger period .

' Dubliners are the blacks of europe ' has to be one of the best ever film quotes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The books far surpass the films, The Barrytown trilogy is a must.

• Advertisement
Advertisement