Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM on O'Connoll Street opposite Schuh

Options
  • 15-02-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Just to share a disaster with you all.

Met my girlfriend at the Spire last night, and went to the aforementioned ATM machine. Few lads hanging round it, thought it looked a bit dodgy. I took 160 out, put it in wallet, and wallet into back pocket. After a few tugs at my back pocket at the bridge, I put it into my coat pocket (wasn't gonna do anything to them, my girlfriend was out). They must have persisted further up the road, because they got it by the time I reached the Westin Hotel.

No money on Valentines night...

:mad:

Feel free to post your own stories - lets not turn it into a Roma bashing session though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

not quite the same but the ATM in Fresh in Smithfield is a dodgy one. It says 'no response from bank', spits back out your card but no money. Money is taken out of your account. I've been waiting 3 weeks to get back 500 that was taken out like that. Sickening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

You mean they followed you in a swarm across O'Connell bridge and up Westmoreland street constantly grabbing at your pockets and you did nothing ?

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Why didnt you notify a garda ?, or put it into you're front pocket with you're hand on it ?

I cant understand people who walk about the city and get pick pocketed, i've never had it happen to me, not once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

davej wrote: »
    You mean they followed you in a swarm across O'Connell bridge and up Westmoreland street constantly grabbing at your pockets and you did nothing ?

Pretty much. I'm usually quite fond of making a holy show of people in this situation, but I balked. Never done it on front of the girlfriend, and Valentines Night is not going to be the start of it.

Looking back, I think I should have.
    Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Why didnt you notify a garda ?, or put it into you're front pocket with you're hand on it ?
    I cant understand people who walk about the city and get pick pocketed, i've never had it happen to me, not once.

It happens. My first time pickpocketed in Dublin.

I have to ask - why did you have your wallet in your back pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If it weasnt for people making it easy for them,there'd be no pickpockets.Firstly,if there's a dodgy-looking gang hanging round an ATM,dont use it,go to another one.Secondly,if somebody tries to pickpocket you,confront them immediatly,they'll usually run off,thirdly allways report it to the cops,fourthly,never keep your wallet in your back pocket and fifthly be more aware of your sorroundings ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is unbelievable - you make it sound like a game. "Hahaha - can't get my wallet... oh, dang." If they swarmed around you and took it then you were effectively mugged - you should have legged it or ducked into a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

davej wrote: »

davej
    A young Polish fella got turfed over the Liffey boardwalk a few weeks back by muggers. Lucky for him the tide was out. I wouldn't fancy being the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Just to share a disaster with you all.

Met my girlfriend at the Spire last night, and went to the aforementioned ATM machine. Few lads hanging round it, thought it looked a bit dodgy. I took 160 out, put it in wallet, and wallet into back pocket. After a few tugs at my back pocket at the bridge, I put it into my coat pocket (wasn't gonna do anything to them, my girlfriend was out). They must have persisted further up the road, because they got it by the time I reached the Westin Hotel.

No money on Valentines night...

:mad:

Feel free to post your own stories - lets not turn it into a Roma bashing session though...

I feel sorry for you, but it really is your own fault in not doing something about it..

1. You actually withdrew money from an ATM that you recognised as being 'dodgy'.

2. You carry your wallet in your back pocket. That is asking for trouble.

3. You show them where you moved your wallet to.

4. You were a 2 minute walk from Pearse st garda station. You should have walked straight for it when you realised that you were being followed by muggers. :confused:

Girlfriend or not... You needed to take control of that situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

2. You carry your wallet in your back pocket. That is asking for trouble.
    Really? Are the streets of Dublin that bad? I'd hate to think so tbh. My wallet is /always/ in my back pocket. Never been mugged or pick-pocketed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Goodshape wrote: »
    Really? Are the streets of Dublin that bad? I'd hate to think so tbh. My wallet is /always/ in my back pocket. Never been mugged or pick-pocketed.

No matter where in the world you are... having your wallet in your back pocket is an easy steal for any opportunist...

When will people learn to put their wallet in their front pocket???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Darwinism in action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have started to use atm's in shops, more and more shops have them now. the atm aorund the corner from the one the op used is another dodgy one (beside wynns hotel). there are a lot of people hanging around there. last tuesday i went up to use it but there was a gang of roma's there so i just went across to spar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Myth wrote: »
    I have to ask - why did you have your wallet in your back pocket?

I might fall into careless category, but I often do.

Even though I only take it out and put it in inside pocket on packed train in the morning.

as for op, **** one.

Why didn't you keep it tight (hand pressed again it) and briskly walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

- lets not turn it into a Roma bashing session though...

If you had done that last night you would still have your money.

And dried gypsy tears on your shoe from where it impacted with his eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Some of the people here should go easy on the bloke. Not everyone is confident enough to have a go, especially with the girlfriend in tow.

OP - just see it as a learning experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Far be it from me to turn this into a gypsy bashing thread but the reason the ****ers are even here is because stupid irish people are putting money in their pockets.It amazes me to see people entering pin-numbers without shielding it with thier hand,giving to beggars,buying big-issues of non-badge-wearing vendors and buying brass rings because they think they're gold.Pure stupidity.Give these people nothing,no money and no oportunities to steal,they'll soon head elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Few lads hanging round it, thought it looked a bit dodgy.

There's plenty of other ATM's in that area, why use the one with the dodgy guys hanging around it. Hate to say it but you deserved to have it taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    If it weasnt for people making it easy for them,there'd be no pickpockets.Firstly,if there's a dodgy-looking gang hanging round an ATM,dont use it,go to another one.Secondly,if somebody tries to pickpocket you,confront them immediatly,they'll usually run off,thirdly allways report it to the cops,fourthly,never keep your wallet in your back pocket and fifthly be more aware of your sorroundings ffs!

Staying safe in Dublin 101.

First lession free!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

In general a bit of cop on when you use an ATM prevents most losses/thefts. Look around the ATM to see if anything arouses your suspicion (People hanging around watching people using the ATM, people with papers or magazines that they use to distract you while grabbing your cash, items stuck around ATM that might be a camera, etc). Always cover the keypad as you enter numbers. Give the card reader slot a wiggle to see if it's loose. Place any cash you withdraw into a safe zipped inner pocket before walking away from ATM.

If you get into a routine of safe ATM usage, you'll have no problems.

And if you feel threatened, just scream loudly. If you're suspicious of someone or something or have been robbed, ring the guards on 999. They often know who's involved and can catch them via CCTV quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement