Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the better brake? Juicy 5 or Formula Oro K18

Options
  • 15-02-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Howdy folks,
    After having crashed my faithful old Raleigh for the last time when a wall suddenly jumped out at me I've decided to get a new bike that has better brakes. I'm steering clear of the v-brakes as they don't work particularly well on rainy days. So I've narrowed down my choice to one of the following ~€1100 bikes:

BeOne Karma 1.0 Hardtail Bike 2007
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14967
    Cube LTD Race 2008
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23667

For me the most important factor in buying a bike would be excellent brakes to help avoid those maniac walls :)
    Would any of you know if Juicy 5 brakes on the BeOne Karma are better than Formula Oro K18's on the Cube?
    I'm not too pushed about the other components as I main want to stop before I hit things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I wouldn't buy a bike on the differences between these two brakes. Both are excellent and will stop you dead. The K18s are marginally lighter, that is all that really separates them, only of importance to weight weenies! Both brakes are difficult to bleed.

Between those two bikes, I'd get the BeOne. It's better spec'd throughout. The Cube might be a better brand, but a mate got the Karma 2.0 and it is well put together, so personally I wouldn't have any fear in buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Would any of you know if Juicy 5 brakes on the BeOne Karma are better than Formula Oro K18's on the Cube?

I have Juicy 5's with 180mm rotors, they are great, but they squeal in the wet or even moist ish weather - I gather the oros are better brakes & are more expensive to buy seperately.

The cube looks like it has bigger rotors - the bigger the rotor the better the braking power + I think its a better looking bike. White forks look great + the cube has lockout which is very handy.

Also look at www.canyon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

rob1891 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a bike on the differences between these two brakes. Both are excellent and will stop you dead. The K18s are marginally lighter, that is all that really separates them, only of importance to weight weenies! Both brakes are difficult to bleed.

Between those two bikes, I'd get the BeOne. It's better spec'd throughout. The Cube might be a better brand, but a mate got the Karma 2.0 and it is well put together, so personally I wouldn't have any fear in buying it.

definatly the BeOne , for just over a grand you are getting XTR, thats amazing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 36 declantm

Thanks folks for your feedback :)

Advertisement