Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Just interested.......

How much sleep did you get last night?

How much sleep do you get on an average night?

How old are your kid(s)?

Me: A whopping 8 hours last night. 6.5 - 7 hours on average. 2 kids, 1 x 10 year old, 1 x 1 year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Last night about 7 hours, most nights 5 - 6 hours.

Boys are 12 and 10. The 10 year old ruined my sleep pattern as he didn't sleep longer than 2 hours until he was 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Last night - 6 hours (very good night) with only one interruption :D

Average - 4 hours with multiple interruptions :(

Two 3 month olds....things are looking up though as there are beginning to be more good nights over the last fortnight so average will rise from now on (touch wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ludo wrote: »
    Two 3 month olds

Would give my eye teeth for twins. :) Congrats.
    Ludo wrote: »
    ....things are looking up though as there are beginning to be more good nights over the last fortnight so average will rise from now on (touch wood).

I always tell new parents that at 12 weeks things will start to get better. Sounds like you're hitting that now. 3 months from now you'll start feeling like you're on the road to recovery. :)
    deisemum wrote: »
    he didn't sleep longer than 2 hours until he was 15 months.

OH

MY

GOD

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

last night about 3 hours, too many interruptions

1 boy 2 and a half (used to sleep like a log from 8 to 6, but has now decided it's fun to get up numerous times in the night- regression i believe they call it)

1 boy 2 months old (up twice a night)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

got 6.5 hours sleep last night (I was watching a film!).

One daughter, 2 years old, she sleeps for 10 - 11 hours every night almost guaranteed (unless there is an illness etc.), we are blessed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

about 5 1/2 hours (broken) 5 year old came in at 5.30 am and every 10 minutes after that asking to go downstairs. Took her into bed at 6 and she still kept asking when we could go downstairs... usually just when I'd be drifting off to sleep again:eek:. For a change the 3 year old slept all night and through to 7am. He's usually in to us anytime from 5.45 am on.
    That's a pretty normal night at the minute :( they go through phases. We've had a bad sleep phase for about 5 weeks...due a change any day now...yawwwwnnnnn:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

9 hours. But it was broken once at 2am... phone call from our youngest!! She was on a sleep over, and was so upset that the mum needed to phone us to see if talking to us would calm her down. It worked.

Normally we sleep from 11pm till the alarm goes off in the morning. But our youngest is coming up for 9.

The only ones who keep us awake at night are the teenagers, who we sometimes have to remind that night time is for sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The only ones who keep us awake at night are the teenagers, who we sometimes have to remind that night time is for sleep.

God I've that to look forward too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My wee one is just gone 2. She goes down at 7pm and gets up at 7am, every single night. Has been like that since she was about 15 months old. Prior to that, she was going to bed at 9pm and getting up at 7am (but she napped in the day then, she doesn't now). If I want it, I get 8 hours + a night. Hell, I could have 12 hours a night if I wanted to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Generally I stay up late anyway.
    I have a ten month old. In the last week or two she's been unsettled but aside from that she sleeps up to 12 hours a night! 8-8!
    Shes a great kid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Well, at the moment I'm on night shift at work so I sleep from 10am to 2pm or 3pm. But when I'm not on nights, the girlfriend and I put our 3 month old boy to bed around 11pm (The last feed knocks him out) and he sleeps straight through to 9-10am waking just the once around 7am for his soother. He's been doing this for the past two months now. The first month was the toughest as he woke every 2-3 hours and we feed him. We stopped the night feeding and never looked back. I see alot of ppl put their babies to bed around 8pm or 9pm, but we find it better later. I guess it's all about routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

AntiRip wrote: »
    Well, at the moment I'm on night shift at work so I sleep from 10am to 2pm or 3pm. But when I'm not on nights, the girlfriend and I put our 3 month old boy to bed around 11pm (The last feed knocks him out) and he sleeps straight through to 9-10am waking just the once around 7am for his soother. He's been doing this for the past two months now. The first month was the toughest as he woke every 2-3 hours and we feed him. We stopped the night feeding and never looked back. I see alot of ppl put their babies to bed around 8pm or 9pm, but we find it better later. I guess it's all about routine.

Younger babies will generally go to bed later. They need feeding more frequently, so they won't sleep as long. Your son is sleeping through now, and you will find as he gets older and more active, that his bedtime will get earlier. You won't be able to sustain a 9 or 10 month old going to bed at 11pm - ye will both be wrecked and so will he! You may also find that a baby who previously slept through the night might start waking up again, particularly when he is teething or moving onto solids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

6 hours sort-of-sleep (with baby on my chest), in two spurts, interrupted by a feed. This is about average.
    Two babies, 1.5 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

I got about 9 hours last night..average would be 7-8..my daughter is 19 months, shes been goin to bed lately at about 10 & getting up at 11ish though today she was up at ten. When she was younger she used to go to bed at 9 and not get up to 12 the next day which was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I get about 6-7 most nights...our 11 month old son sleeps from 8pm through to 6.30 every night,even when he got 6 teeth in the space of 2 weeks.

he's so regular you could set your watch by him....bang on 6.30 he's awake.
    But he is always content just playing in his cot for an hour or so after he wakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 FakeRedHead

Got my nine hours...fairly standard.
    Just woken the odd time by the one due in two months (he's a kicker).
    One six year old who sleeps for 13 hours uninterrrupted per night.
    But he did scream most of the night for the first two years.
    So I've done my time :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

On average 7 hours in bed, pass out as soon as i hit pillow. Interrupted regularly by twins (10mts) looking for bottles, and older 2 ( both age 3 for the next two months :eek:) looking for anything from a bottle to a ghost buster.

I hate to say it but some days im just so glad to go to work for the break! Big respect for all those stay at home moms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How much sleep did you get last night?
    7hrs

How much sleep do you get on an average night?
    7hrs

How old are your kid(s)?
    1x3months. She sleeps 9/10hrs at night

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Generally I get 6 hours a night. Mrs Billy gets 7.5 to 8 hours, maybe 1 hour less if HB Jr II (12 months) wakes. Occasionally HB Jr I (5 years) wakes if he has a bad dream, but it normally only takes 10 mins to settle him down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How old are your kid(s)?
    1x3months. She sleeps 9/10hrs at night

I think I speak for us all when I say: "screw you!!!" :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

LOL

She's been doing that since she was 7 weeks too :D

The missus is here beside me, she says 'you better not have jinxed us!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I got 5hrs broken sleep last night. Sleep in this house varies. We can have either or both kids in with us, one of us in the spare room with one of the kids or one of us in the spare room with child & one in our room with the other, lol.

2 kids - one just gone three & one aged 22months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bkelaine

last night- id say 5 hours- but that was broken- had to get up every bout half hour to tend to our teething 7 month old. He still also wakes for a bottle every 3/4 hours. The most unbroken sleep I've gotten in 7 months is 4 hours:eek: am like a zombie. But hopefully once a tooth appears he will settle. wishful thinking :D

Poor mite has gone from colic and reflux to teething.

am very envious of all ye with good sleepers!

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Approx 7 hours every nite - my last lie on was 1984 I think:D

2 Daughters 16 months + 6 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Generally I get 6 hours a night. Mrs Billy gets 7.5 to 8 hours, maybe 1 hour less if HB Jr II (12 months) wakes. Occasionally HB Jr I (5 years) wakes if he has a bad dream, but it normally only takes 10 mins to settle him down again.

Posting that was just asking for trouble. Monday night HB Jr II was awake from 11:00 to 1:30 teething & howling the house down. Woke HB Jr I up too. HB Jr II was awake again at 2:30 & 3:30 with his teeth. Then HB Jr I woke at 5:00 (woke his lil' bro too) with very bad stomach pains which eventually needed a trip to the doc's. Had to take the day off work. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I generally get 5 hours a night, not because of my 9 month old, but because i'm usually behind the PC playing games. Babs goes down at 8 and will look for the soother here and there during the night. She'll then wake around 6 or so looking for a bottle and i'll put her back down to sleep for another hour or two while i slip off to work around the 7 o'clock mark.

I have found lately however that with the bright mornings kicking in, she's a little harder to settle down after the early morning bottle. Time to invest in some blackout blinds me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jesus. Reading a lot of these posts makes me realise how lucky I am with my 12 hours!

Advertisement