Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing out during tatt?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

hey guys, me mate wants to get her first tatt, but her and pain aren't exactly best buds, and we've heard tale of if someone passes out during a tatt the consent is null and void and it has to be stopped etc, anyone able to shed any light on this?

cheers!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I'm not entirely sure it'd just be a legal issue here, if I were a tattoo artist and someone passed out on me I'd be worrying more about if they're ok than if I'm still legally allowed to tattoo them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I can't see any reputable tattoo artist carrying on tattooing someone that passes out during...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

celestial ring's kill jar anyone!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

the kill jar? please explain

reason most people pass out is because they forget to breath, make sure she eats well and is in good health and has some breathing exercises done and rehearsed before she goes. i got my ribs tattooed on, hurt but not pass out type of hurt. breathing is the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

yeah wilbert lent some good advice there. concentrate on breathing evenly and fully. Oh and where on her body is she getting it done? Different places will produce a different kind of reaction I guess! I guess if she comes around quite quickly afterwards, any decent artist would reschedule when he has another free space or a quiet point during the week. Any artist that just cuts them off and says he won't ever continue and won't refund is an asshole and we should know about him! ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

What happens if their midway through outlining the piece?

xtruthx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

It is very unlikely she will pass out. She will probably dread it so much that the reality of it will be much easier for her to handle, and she will wonder what the fuss was.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

theres loads you can do to make the tattoo easier and that you wont pass out.

get a good nights sleep.
    dont drink the night before
    and the ultimate, for me anyway, is to have a good meal before going in.

do all that and youll be fine

i think the breathing thing goes without saying.
    ha ha,what retard stops breathing???

oh i think ill stop breathing now eeeeuuugggghhhhh:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i found when i was getting mine done i was trying not to move and cringe and was holding my breath. thankfully i realised this and focussed more on my breathing. can happen fairly easy, well i think so anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i do recall passing out wehn i got my trag done actually, ha, had almost forgotten abotu that. just make sure your mate does all that's been said here, and definitely make sure and eat properly beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

ah yeah i've explained to her the breathing thing, did it meself, and just didn't look at it while being done, but she is literally bricking it and has heard horror stories, I've told it's grand and it may have been sore at the time but thinking back now it didn't really hurt...I did get the dizzy lightheadedness I got after getting my tongue pierced and did nearly pass out but it was more from my body bein shocked than anything i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

if you pass out yer gunna have to sit there till you feel good enought to be tattooed afterwards if the outline isnt finished, i personally wouldnt let anyone out the door if they passout and the outline isnt finished, not unless they really really wanted to go...
    in my eyes it would just be wrong, a half finished outline??!

i do yoga breathing! AND, i picked up this tip from my waxer;

you know if you're getting waxed or an injection etc, you're normally asked to take a deep breath and when you let it out you get your hair pulled out/stabbed by the needle. i don't know the logic behind it, the beautician told me it's something to do with how open your pores are(!?) but anyway, it minimises the pain.

i take deep breathes throughout the whole tattoo, when you hear the artist going to get more ink or re positioning, breath in and when you feel them pressing down on the skin, breath out slowly and steadily. strange process but it works for me!

and also, find something to count. when i was getting my ribs done and lying on my back, i proceeded to count all the ceiling tiles in celestial ring. in my head of course o.0 it distracts you from the pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

deep breaths may work for you, i personally found swearing my tits off worked wonders...

deep breaths may work for you, i personally found swearing my tits off worked wonders...

You might want to see a doctor about that, those aren't supposed to come off. :p

I usually find controlled breathing helps keep me going until the endorphins kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Le Rack, you told me just after you got yours done that it had been incredibly painful! That's the thing about pain, when it's gone you find it hard to quantify.

When I was getting by back tattooed, I would pick something to focus on, and almost meditate on it, just focus completely on it, helped me ignore/deal with the pain of the tattoo. Only times I'd hold my breath was when it'd be hitting a bundle of nerve endings (They come in clumps in your back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Just wondering, I've never done it myself, but does anyone take painkillers when getting inked? What did you take and do you think it made any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Shelli wrote: »
    Just wondering, I've never done it myself, but does anyone take painkillers when getting inked? What did you take and do you think it made any difference?

I thought any form of medication was inadvisable before/during the tattoo?

I think I would look down on someone who took painkillers for the purpose of nullifying the pain While getting inked. Not being big headed, the Pain seems to be part of getting a tattoo, for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I think some pain killers thin the blood? Aspirin does anyway - and that isn't good while getting tattoo'd. I would personally never take pain killers while getting a tattoo. The pain isn't that bad, and can be helped mostly by your state of mind, and doing some proper deep breaths.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just on that point, my blood seems to be naturally thin.... i bleed a lot during tattooing...... sometimes causing the end result not to be as good as i hoped

is there anything i can take to thicken it up a bit.... natural if possible...
    cheers.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just on that point, my blood seems to be naturally thin.... i bleed a lot during tattooing...... sometimes causing the end result not to be as good as i hoped

is there anything i can take to thicken it up a bit.... natural if possible...
    cheers.

There can be many reasons for your blood to be thinner than average, everything from the various clotting factors to iron levels (think iron is used as a clotting factor too come to think of it), as such to be honest you will need to talk to a doctor about it and probably get some blood tests to see why your blood might be slower clotting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

your platelet level might be low..

I've heard of people taking a neurofen before going in, bringin lucozade with them n havin another neurofen after...

At the time gettin mine done, it felt like, someone was dragging a rusty nail through my flesh but it's totally worth it in the end...and i hardly bled at all but it is really ickle and almost all outline! Saving up for my next one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i had laser treatment before and let me tell you, thats pain. tattoos arnt that bad.

you're advised not to!

and sure the excruciating pain is all part of the lolz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

So, if you were to conk out mid-tattoo, would a responsible tattooist wait until you've recovered and keep going? Or would they reschedule a time to do the rest of the work?

I have the backs of my forarms done and now my koi fish and dragon on my shoulder and to be honest, I don't think it's a bad kind of pain if you get me! I mean, I'm not getting off on it or anything, but usually when the human body is in pain it's for negative reasons and this would cause something to tick in your brain that could see nothing but badness in the fact that your experiencing said pain. But when your putting yourself in to get some body art done, and while yeah it might hurt a little here and there, it's kind of all self imposed ya know, and I don't think I dis-like it all that much! Im no S+M fan,that **** is scary, but there is defo a pleasure pain factor here I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Knee-Vee wrote: »
    So, if you were to conk out mid-tattoo, would a responsible tattooist wait until you've recovered and keep going? Or would they reschedule a time to do the rest of the work?

When i had mine done i felt "light" in the head at one point. I just asked for a break, get some water and after 5 minutes i was good to go again.
    I was told outlining was the worst part. I survived that with ease and the almost passing out happened while the filling in was done.
    It just happens and i think you feel it coming. When you feel it coming just ask for a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I have never found the pain to be that bad that I'd need painkiller to get through it, but I have to admit I'm very jumpy at the best of time, I try my best to keep still but my body's natural reaction tends to take over and I end up twitching, this had led to a couple of dodgy line :( (nothing to noticable thank god)

Any tips for keeping still? I do breathing excercises and try to concentrate on something in the room, but doesn't seem to work.
    (anyone chill out by smoking beforehand?....the good stuff IYKWIM:D)

• Advertisement

i think havin a toot beforehand would make you a lot worse!It'd make you way twitchier than normal I reckon!

Advertisement