Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If u were given the power..

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

If u were given the power for one day to create any new road laws and strictly enforce them.
    Or also the power to get the gardai to strictly enforce any existing law,what would ya pick? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I would allow people to turn left at a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

allow people to use the hard shoulder during peak traffic times
    and shoot anybody that uses it at the wrong time.

sorry power already got to my head there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What fletch said. Or switch every traffic light to flashing amber and see if people can be nice to each other (hey, its a one-day experiment).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

Laser cannons for everyone !!

OR
    The strict enforcement of banning the following while driving
    Using your mobile
    Eating your lunch
    Reading the paper
    and performing a frontal labotomy through your nose
    E

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

TBH I'd be happy if the laws that are there at the mo were enforced with a little more vigour or resources.
    But if I had to pick something I'd prob go with a zero alcohol allowance and some kind of speed control in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Death by hanging for tailgaters. Permission to use mounted machine guns against bastards blocking the outside lane on motorways.

You're all lucky I'm not in charge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I drive a lot at night and tbh SUVs tail gating with xenon lights is pissing me off big time. Also misaligned/missing headlights.
    Anything wrong with your lights - 300 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

woop wrote: »
    allow people to use the hard shoulder during peak traffic times
    and shoot anybody that uses it at the wrong time.

To follow on from that logic, you could also ban buses at rush hour, so there's less of them taking up valuable space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

eoin_s wrote: »
    To follow on from that logic, you could also ban buses at rush hour, so there's less of them taking up valuable space.

oooooooooooooooooohhhhh

meaow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

The Desperate Housewives in their SUVs (or else nissan qashqai) would make their precious kids walk to school for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I would simply enforce all the adequate rules we have.

Triple the Traffic Corps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

fletch wrote: »
    I would allow people to turn left at a red light.

+1

Best rule of the road ever!

On a hypothetical note i'd ban big bore exhausts and boy racers (in my utopia i'd also have the power to decide what a boy racer was:))

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fine councils for not maintining roads- get them to fix potholes - €5000 per transgression per day.
    Some target practice on lack of indicators, tailgaters, red light breakers.
    Loadza checkpoints and do people for tyres,lights, no licence etc.
    On spot fine of €300 for blocking junction boxes.
    €3000 on the spot fines for speeders without licence in this jurisdiction, including those from Norniron.

Introduce a law to make driving test resits mandatory on licence loss.
    Make death by careless driving a form of murder/manslaughter

Pity it's only a day,what fun I could have tomorrow. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'd ban smoking in cars. Firstly, to keep the Anti Smoking brigade happy about people smoking in cars with kids. Secondly, it would stop people littering because no more butts would be thrown out windows. And finally, leading on from 2, I would not get hit with them on my bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Stephen wrote: »
    Permission to use mounted machine guns against bastards blocking the outside lane on motorways.
    :D

yep. public executions for people that try to enforce the speed limit by hogging the overtaking lane (you know who you are ;)) or not making even half decent progress while "trying" to do so also :rolleyes:. no reason why it takes nearly a minute to overtake on any dual carriageway or motorway :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'd ban smoking in cars. Firstly, to keep the Anti Smoking brigade happy about people smoking in cars with kids. Secondly, it would stop people littering because no more butts would be thrown out windows. And finally, leading on from 2, I would not get hit with them on my bike!

You are so right..
    I used to do it too. I only realised how disgusting it was after I gave up.. Typical selfish smoker.
    There's nothing worse than someone smoking in the car on front and being able to smell it in your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I would pass a law that confiscates the cars of drivers convicted of drink driving and have the car auctioned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Limiter on the engine to make people drive no more than limit.

Imagine the stress levels on all 50kph roads! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Id ban everyone else from the road but me. Ah stress free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Driving test every three years for everyone and flood lights on the back of cars for when the car behind has it's headlights on.
    Oh ya make it legal to run over cyclist's that don't use the cycle lane.:eek:

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    Limiter on the engine to make people drive no more than limit.

Imagine the stress levels on all 50kph roads! :D

:rolleyes:

and will these limiters know when you move into a 60 kmh, 80 kmh, 100 kmh zone or god forbid will we all be doing the same speed on a motorway too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd get all new drivers to do driver education in school.
    Sure maybe the Dept of Education can pay for students from poor families. And with block booking you'd get mega discounts from the local instructors.

Oh, and all instructors to pass accredited advanced courses every 2-3 years if they want to stay in business.

Part of the driving courses would spend maybe 5 hours going around town on a bicycle and and also on a moped to show driving from another perspectives.

Without starting a flaming war, imo people who drives motorbikes and cars are often more aware and skillful that people who just drive cars.

Oh and start enforcing our laws. Sure give me a traffic corps bike and I could make a dent in the national debt with the fines I'd be handing out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

johntreacy wrote: »
    Driving test every three years for everyone and flood lights on the back of cars for when the car behind has it's headlights on.
    Oh ya make it legal to run over cyclist's that don't use the cycle lane.:eek:

...or cycle through a red light!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Abolishing speed limits. If only to deliver the evidence to the slow down no matter what brigade that it's not driving slower or faster than a digit on a metal dish at the roadside but bad driving that causes accidents. I'm convinced that abolishing speedlimits is not going to chance accident statistics at all. What we do need to do is start detecting and prosecuting dangerous driving on a serious scale.

And penalty points on your driving licence for breaking red lights as a pedestrian.

Abolishing speed limits. If only to deliver the evidence to the slow down no matter what brigade that it's not driving slower or faster than a digit on a metal dish at the roadside but bad driving that causes accidents. I'm convinced that abolishing speedlimits is not going to chance accident statistics at all. What we do need to do is start detecting and prosecuting dangerous driving on a serious scale.

And penalty points on your driving licence for breaking red lights as a pedestrian.

only thing is that you might find that a lot of these ignorant bstards that do break red lights and walk out in the way of oncoming traffic have no driving license themselves IMO. if they were drivers they might have a little more respect than to do that. a steep fine would be the thing for them instead.

it would be interesting to see what would happen if the speed limits were abolished in the morning all right though.

unfortunately the Darwin award crew would ruin it for everyone in a single weekend by driving on (far beyond their capabilities :rolleyes:) and racking up the statistics back in favour of the speeding is the only cause of accidents brigade with a major weekend of carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Speed signs to display minimum acceptable speed.

Advertisement