Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I retro fit a silent heatsink on a GFX card?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I want to take the fan and sink off my graphics card and try and put a silent sink on.

Can this be done ,or do I have to alter the bios of the graphics card ,to keep the heat down a bit?

Edit: I wont be playing any games ,mostly video playback and splinternet.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, it can be done - what kind of card have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Hello ,I want to take the fan and sink off my graphics card and try and put a silent sink on.

Can this be done ,or do I have to alter the bios of the graphics card ,to keep the heat down a bit?

Edit: I wont be playing any games ,mostly video playback and splinternet.

Dependig on yoru card this can be done, might be better to just buy a card designed for this. As it means you dont void your warrenty. But if you have a high end graphics card this wont work as they simply produce too much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

thermaltake do silent heatsinks for the 8 series cards. i have the hr-03 (there are a few types of it) it can also be mounted in all sorts of ways for best fit. they are quite big but can dissipate heat very well on the hot running cards.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thermalright you mean!!!! :D

Was looking at the HR-03 plus alright - how did you find it for space? Have a Thermalright 120 Ultra on the CPU and it's right on the edge of the window of the case and am wondering if I can fit the 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the replies ,http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334591

I want to fit my own sink ,because if I don't I'll end up leaving this card lying around doing nothing.
    I'd rather take a chance than have a two month old card left redundant.

If it has a chance with a silent sink ,then I'll go for it.

Cheers,
    Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

brian, how about something like this?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337821

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks royal marine ,I had a look at that card and it wont fit the machine I have.
    There isn't a slot available above the graphics card on mine.

Is the 8500GT more or less the same as the 8600GT when it comes to video playback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Kharn wrote: »
    Thermalright you mean!!!! :D

Was looking at the HR-03 plus alright - how did you find it for space? Have a Thermalright 120 Ultra on the CPU and it's right on the edge of the window of the case and am wondering if I can fit the 2 :)

yeah thermalright:) there is a thermaltake company though aint there?

anyway for space it fits fine in standard setup. had to replace my southbridge hs with something smaller. It does expand over to my second pci-ex slot so no sli for me.i also put a 80mm fan on the front of it so now it extends near some of the other pci slots (fan keeps the hs below 35c which is fantastic for the 8800gts 640, 100c without the fan). def not for sli users unless you have a well spaced mobo. i tried it in the other setup and it was just too close to my northbridge hs. there is enough of a gap between my side panel and the hs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bogwalrus wrote: »
    yeah thermalright:) there is a thermaltake company though aint there?
    yeh but it's like...

thermalright = bugatti veyron
    thermaltake = toyota starlet.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Cremo wrote: »
    yeh but it's like...

thermalright = bugatti veyron
    thermaltake = toyota starlet.

ahaha

So true :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement