Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of activities

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

So....our son does dancing. He's 10 and enjoys it. This year he won free lessons for the year (because he went out and got a load of sponsorship by calling door to door) so we don't have to pay for it....but for the purposes of this discussion assume that we do pay.

This month they're putting on a show. We've had to shell out a total of 85 euro for this just this month!!!!!! (money for costumes, money for tickets and now...to my total disbelief....money for rehearsals).

This is a money making venture for the guy who runs it. TBH I'm _totally_ pissed off. 85 euro is a LOT of money to be asking for on top of tuition costs IMO. We could have had a LOT of fun as a family with that.

Am I over reacting?

I'm not in the greatest of moods today, but I have a good mind to go down there and tell yer man where to put his request for money for rehearsals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I dont think it's right to pay to be in the show if the guy is making money from selling tickets aswell, fair enough if it was free to go and see it he would have to cover his costs, but surely the ticket money will cover the costs??

I'd be well p*ssed off, tell him to stick it, there are plenty of reputable dance companies out there that your son could join.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So I found out the cost of the lessons is 100 euro every 3 months. We weren't asked if he wanted to participate in this show. We just got two letters home. One saying we had to pay 30 euro for costumes, another saying we had to shift four tickets to the show (all of which we paid for as two of them were for OAP's and of course two for ourselves), then today the youngfella came through the door looking for a fiver for rehearsal money. Well....I nearly had a conniption.

Like I said....I'm not in the greatest of moods today, but I'm glad it's not just me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a business not a charity, like most things in this world. It's similar with martial arts etc. If you dislike the service find a new one. If there's insurance to be paid for the venues etc it mightn't be as much of a rip off as you think. That, and there's nothing wrong with making money off providing services to kids.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The guy is using his time to coach the rehearsals, and that has to be paid for. But it does seem a bit like shooting fish in a barrell the way he can charge for everything and anything once youve been sucked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My little girl 8

has spanish lessons which are 7 euro a go....

cubs...5 euro a go plus uniform and extra for trips

hip hop classes 6 euro a go.... plus cd's ... plus t shirts... plus jumpers...

I dont mind paying for these things for her...

we did a lot of horse riding for the last 4 years it cost me about €60 a week training...

I think it is good for kids to have ther independence...

I was a billy barry kid.. and very successfull while I was young.. If they enjoy it it is well worth every penny you spend..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Khannie wrote: »
    So....our son does dancing. He's 10 and enjoys it. This year he won free lessons for the year (because he went out and got a load of sponsorship by calling door to door)

Tell me you are kidding, you sent your child out door to door asking others to pay for his dance lessons!

Advertisement