Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux - 'hotswapping' PS/2 keyboard?

• 15-02-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    n00b question that google cannot answer...

We have a proprietary box (not your standard PC) in work:
    The new version of the box has Xubuntu (Console-no X/Window Server. kernel 2.6.20-15-generic). The old box had Red Hat (kernel 2.4.20-8.)

The old box allowed us to 'hot-swap'/unplug and plug in a PS/2 keyboard. The new box doesn't allow it - if the keyboard falls out, only a reboot works. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to reboot the box.

Is there a workaround? How did Red Hat do it?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well...I just tried it on my own box. No problems. Maybe try and get a USB keyboard? I'm sure there's a way around it. I just don't know what that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Afaik PS/2 keyboard connectors are not designed to be hot-pluggable. It may work, it may not. I was told (waaaay back) that hot-plugging a PS/2 keyboard carries a significant risk of blowing the keyboard controller on the motherboard. While this may be a rare occurrence, I have seen it happen on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The article on Wikipedia agrees (not designed for hotplugging, risky, may or may not work):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

You can get a buffer box designed specifically for PS/2 hotplugging:
    http://www.vetra.com/Elimina2.htm
    VIP-325: Keyboard / Mouse Port Terminator, terminates the keyboard or mouse port on PCs, notebook computers, and peripheral devices utilizing the 6 pin mini DIN (PS/2 style) keyboard connector. Also provides plug-n-play functionality by allowing "hot-plug" connection of a keyboard or mouse. Unit comes with one 3 ft 6 pin mini-DIN male /male cable for connecting to the keyboard or mouse port. $52.00

@jaypee
    I think this is more of a case that PS/2 hotplugging just happened to work on your older proprietary box but does not on the new box rather than any differences between the Red Hat install and the new Xubuntu one. Ask the vendor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

You could use kudzu or maybe even partprobe to scan for devices when you plug the keyboard back.

Advertisement