Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well finally ive been robbed!

Options
  • 15-02-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Well, last nite some skanger robbed my prized kona firemountain.
    he robbed it from my shed:mad::mad:

although the dumb bastard missed the 2 more expensive konas in the next shed:D:D
    so i suppose there is a brightside, im guessing he may be back tonite, so me and my mates will be in waiting.
    im heading out now to find it.
    im guessing its a kid with the mid-term on and the like.

heres a pic and the spec, if you can keep a eye out it will be much appreciated:)

2005 Kona Firemountain.

Description.
    7005 double butted kona aluminium.
    Marazocchi Mz comp forks
    Shimano deore rear mech
    Shimano alivio front mech
    Shimano alivio shifters.
    Shimano deore hydraulic disc brakes
    Shimano deore XT brake lever.(brake levers silver and black)
    DMR V8 Pedals
    Bikehut XSD1 Wheelset.
    TranzX 6061 Aluminium stem and Handlebars
    Truvativ Fived Crankset.
    Truvativ Bottom Bracket
    Selle Royal Race gel saddle.
    Frame Number:F501k4871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Sorry to hear that, will keep an eye out ! Good luck gettin it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry to hear that. What is the most unlikely combination and easily spotable thing on the bike? e.g. is it an off the shelf bike, but with wheels nobody else would have?

Was it, or the shed locked?

I have 5 in my shed, the shed is locked, then I have 3 bikes and a lawnmower all looped together with a big motorbike chain. Another 2 are on loop locked onto a big concrete slab. You cannot physically fit them out the door, so you could not carry them to a workshop.

You can also get alarmed padlocks for shed.

http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&saaff=afdefault&sacur=0&fcl=3&frpp=50&from=R10&saslop=1&saobfmts=insif&fss=0&satitle=padlock+alarm&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&a15961=-24&a25710=-24&a10244=-24&a14=-24&alist=a15961%2Ca15962%2Ca25710%2Ca10244%2Ca14%2Ca3801&pfmode=1&reqtype=1&gcs=1443&pfid=3131&pf_query=padlock+alarm&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sappl=1&sabfmts=1&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&salic=-15&fhlc=1&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

The thing about waiting for them to come back is if you do kick them around, then they know where you live, so expect smashed windows for the next 10 years. Only way is to actually kill them, if you want tips on disposing the body give me a PM, I have several methods....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

What area are you in boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's too bad. Let us know where you live (though not precisely, or else the other two Konas'll disappear).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think I live near you Kona, I'll keep an eye out for it. I have a Kona myself, so I always notice if someone is on one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Trouble is, whoever is spotted on it (if anyone) will probably have bought it from the thief.

What then? Can you prove it's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

If he has the serial number and photos that would be enough for any reasonably minded Garda I would have thought.

Register it as stolen is probably a good idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Defo report it stolen. It might seem like a waste of time but it's a good idea. Sorry to hear about your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

north dublin, kilbarrack, raheny, clontarf, harmondstown, artane, fairview marino, coolock
    are all within 3 miles of me.

the bike is a one of a kind, there is definatly there is no bike exactly the same.
    not many 2005 konas floating around the place, im going down to st annes now to see if i can spot it. im going to go to the market on dominick strret on saturday as most stolen bikes end up there.
    Ive already told every bike shop in north dublin to keep and eye out too.

Give-aways are, the silver deore lever on the left and a black XT lever on the right.
    the bike is spotlessly clean, it has a set of cat eye LED on the seat post.
    the cranks DONT have the usual marks from your shoes/trousers.

the bikehut wheelset is also very noticable.
    the gear hanger is a BETD hanger and not the original, also the silver deore rear mech, as most deore is in black.
    its only a 24 speed which is unusual for a deore rear mech.

i reported it to the guards,immediatly, they had a car around in 10mins(fair play to them) it was taken between 2.20 am and 8 am , as i was coming home at 2.20 am and saw nothing amiss.
    no milk at the door at this time which is unusual, so the milkman was about too around the time.
    i didnt lock it as the shed is alarmed, i kept saying id get a lock , because i know i wouldnt give a toss about a alarm going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

do u usually take pics of your bikes? 3 bikes why so many? its poxy that it got robbed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sorry to hear that OP, hope you get it back, nice bit of equipment, looks quite unique
    conbob wrote: »
    do u usually take pics of your bikes? 3 bikes why so many? its poxy that it got robbed :(

not unusual for cyclists big in to their hobby mate to have a few bikes, not big into it my self, compared to some of the regualr posters ere, but still build up the miles in spring/summer/autumn, have two bikes, parts, and pictures of them

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

conbob wrote: »
    he is obviously well into them. I have 2 bikes I use, a mountain bike for off road and leisure cycling, a hybrid to commute. My mate has well over 10 bikes. how many pairs of shoes have you got? A bike will last so many miles, so they do not go to waste, i.e. if a bike lasts 5 years, then 3 will last 15years, take your pick to suit your journey, why not have a selection, just like shoes. While if you have 3 cars it is not the same, since you pay tax and insurance on all of them, regardless of use.

Taking pics is useful for an event such like this, being able to show the gardai and bike shops will help immensely. bikes are nicked all the time so it is advisable to have a photo.

Thats why I was asking for distinct features. My last bike was not changed expect for one thing, which stood out. and it would be a 1 in a million chance somebody has the exact spec of the bike in this thread. Some things are easy to spot.

i take pics just to record, the progress of the bike, it changes alot!

cheers lads im still out looking , id be fairly sure of getting it, even standard 2005 firemountains are thin on the ground in dublin, with the parts id spot it a mile off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

unlucky, sorry to hear that. it sounds to me like some local young lad alright. i reckon it will be sold on to someone quickly so the person you see on it most likely isnt the thief. my friend was offered a decent bike for something like 20euro off a fifteen year old before. the bike must have been worth a couple of hundred. he didnt buy it. its more depressing to think they will sell it off for next to nothing. at least the other two werent touched. check college cycle racks as well, most bike shops wont touch it. except for one that i can think of up on thomas street which is a bit dodgy.

good luck!

by the way did you have it insured?

I wont have any problems pulling sombody off it, its stolen, its mine, it has a sentimental value too. Maybe it will teach them that any unemployed scummer selling bikes is bad news!
    there is a few schools near me, so ill head around there to check it out.
    ill have a goo at thomas street too.
    ive already let the bikeshops know, some more helpful then others, but i dont blame them, i wouldnt expect them to hold the bike.
    but fair play to the ones that did, take my pages with the description and picture and frame number.
    drove around the more scenic areas tonite, saw lots of stolen bikes but none mine.
    im going to hunt this bike down, my advantage is ive the frame number, most people dont bother with this insanely important piece of info, so my advice is record it!
    nope no insurance on them, im in a quiet area, and the shed was alarmed, so i was kind of complacent.......worst thing to do!:o
    I reckon ill pick it up, but the way it was stolen points to sombody following me home, as they knew exactly where it was, and didnt go near the other shed 2m away, thank god.:D
    so the bike was out that day, and was in DCU, then cycled along collins ave, howth road.
    so im guessing these areas are prime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

No way man that sucks, I hope you get it back. You go to DCU? The places to lock bikes up there are a joke.

i know i dont lock mine in the racks, dont like the way people treat their bikes.....so i dread to think the damage they would do to mine:eek:

also i hear plenty of bikes are nicked from around the engineering building.

Ironic that mine was stolen from the house and not in the city centre/ dodgey areas!!:o
    ive been hearing of a organised ring the area from people tonite, so anybody in the area with decent bikes, heads up:)

ive 2 theories

a) I was followed from college, as my bike is locked with 2 kryptonite locks they prob couldnt get it. Also they Knew EXACTLY where its was, and even put the stuff they moved to get it back in the EXACT same place, closed the door over and closed the side gate behind them:eek::confused:

B) Some scumbag took it, which is possible as when on my other kona, ive been threatened plenty of times, and followed home by a gang of 10 knackers, who started kicking off until i emerged with a golf club and smashed one of their bikes. they then high tailed it.
    these were shams so, no hassle in removing them.

im hoping A as it is less likley for the bike to be wrecked:mad:

i reckon its someone closer to home. maybe even a neighbour? definitely someone that knew you had the bike in the first place. not sure of your area but that would be what id reckon. insure and lock up the other bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I work all around that area ,if I see anything I'll post back.

I can imagine the bike is probably a different colour by now ,but I wreckon I'd noticed them handlebars and stem.

avalanche wrote: »
    i reckon its someone closer to home. maybe even a neighbour? definitely someone that knew you had the bike in the first place. not sure of your area but that would be what id reckon. insure and lock up the other bikes.

ye im kinda thinking along those lines, im going to search st annes again tomo, and poke around the schools in the area, and of course college:)

and please dont say its been sprayed, it would kill me to get it back vandalised, parts can be replaced/fixed, a **** poor paint job takes alot of time and money to put right!

• Advertisement

nah doubt it has been sprayed. they wouldnt want to wreck the appearance of it and people usually just spray bikes if they are going to use it themselves. because this seems to have been deliberately picked id say its because theyve seen it before and liked it, probably with the idea to selling it so they're not going to spray it.the fact that it appears to be deliberately taken would also make me think that its going to be sold to someone who knows a little about bikes so maybe try the mountainbike buy and sell forums. i had a good bike thieved by a lad who knew a lot about bikes so he seemed to have deliberately gone in search of a good one.he called in, with all the lingo, had a test spin and that was the last i saw of him.
    id say its either (a) some dopey kid who lives nearby who you will see cycling around or (b) someone who lives nearby who is a little more clued in with bikes, who stole it to sell it on knowing it was a good one. instinct would tell me (b) is more likely

keep an eye on the link below as well. again good luck!

http://www.irishdh.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=91fce13db257c494ef68e1aae51ad85d

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

kona wrote: »
    north dublin, kilbarrack, raheny, clontarf, harmondstown, artane, fairview marino, coolock
    are all within 3 miles of me.

the bike is a one of a kind, there is definatly there is no bike exactly the same.
    not many 2005 konas floating around the place, im going down to st annes now to see if i can spot it. im going to go to the market on dominick strret on saturday as most stolen bikes end up there.
    Ive already told every bike shop in north dublin to keep and eye out too.

i'm from the same area and there's a certain bike shop on the corner of malahide rd / fairview park where stolen bikes often "turn up" ;) check there.

sorry for your loss, people are jerks :(

cosmic wrote: »
    i'm from the same area and there's a certain bike shop on the corner of malahide rd / fairview park where stolen bikes often "turn up" ;) check there.

sorry for your loss, people are jerks :(

first place i looked tbh, they said they dont take in a spec like mine, although id say the owner would give e50 for it and keep it lol:D

im going to check out thomas street tomo,as im stuck in college today. dam college getting in the way of bike detective:D

ive a thread on epic and on irish dh so hopefully they will help, also ive dropped in a picture and spec to bikeshops too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

first place i looked tbh, they said they dont take in a spec like mine, although id say the owner would give e50 for it and keep it lol:D

im going to check out thomas street tomo,as im stuck in college today. dam college getting in the way of bike detective:D

ive a thread on epic and on irish dh so hopefully they will help, also ive dropped in a picture and spec to bikeshops too.

I've seen people asking about it on your behalf on another forum too. The entire internetz are on your side! Hopefully you'll track it down.

I've seen people asking about it on your behalf on another forum too. The entire internetz are on your side! Hopefully you'll track it down.

hopefully:D,the more people that know the better, especially the people who can tell when a bike doesnt look right with somebody:D with it standing me around the guts of e1300, i hope i get it back, im expecting the worst tho, im harrassing the guards aswell, this week should be good as everything gets done on weekdays, so hopefully it will be spotted.
    im praying it wasnt proper caravan pikies as a few were around the area offering "gardening services".
    have their numbers tho:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

Will deffo keep ane out eye out for it, there's no way i wouldnt check that bike out if somebody cycled by me on it

anybody have any news???:o

the guards have said its been circulated, and they have put the word out.
    saw some scummer on a a clearly stolen trek arested by the guards on henry street during the week, so happy days!!
    just heard a load of houses have been nailed in the past few days in my area......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Very nice bike and terrible news for you. I doubt the Knacker who took it knows how much the bike is worth and probably dumped it in bushes or a river. Thats how alot of them turn up sadly. Best of luck in the search

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

im going to check out thomas street tomo,

do you mean the meath street market? or is there another trick I'm missing?

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    do you mean the meath street market? or is there another trick I'm missing?

apparantly word has it there is a well dodge bike shop up that way:mad:
    ill take a goo in at the market but it is just full of fake air schmax

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement