Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda S2000?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some opinions here, has anybody owned or driven a Honda S2000 if so what were your opinions on the car and how did it compare to other similar powered cars?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Snap! I was gonna make a similar post.

That is until I checked its C02 emissions. Unfortunately it puts it
    into the 2k bracket!! (aprx 236g/km) Obviously Honda knew this, which is why it's called the S2000 ;)

I may seriously consider getting myself into horrible debt for this car, keep it for a year and then sell. Gormly won't deny me the the pleasure of owning this car for a while ! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Government just won't let us have our fun cars without paying through the nose from them, realy don't like this new tax system at all. I know it helps the envoirment in a way but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Buy a used one and it'll be taxed under the old system. Give Gormley the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Stephen wrote: »
    Buy a used one and it'll be taxed under the old system. Give Gormley the finger.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

If you look at carzone they are starting to fall into the price range
    of those with questionable taste though, so I'd definitely go to the uk for one.

I mean check out this 'beauty'
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=835566

You couldn't get me into thing unless you put alot of GHB into my drink and then clubbed me unconscious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You have to be careful when looking for one of these cars. They're great but the early ones had no traction control and it you get the boost of power from the vtec in the middle of a corner then they are liable to step the back out. This has resulted in a lot of them going into the ditch and a lot of the ones in England have been written off, repaired, and put back on the road.

Not necessarily a bad thing but worth knowing. You should run a HPI check on any car originating in the UK, even if its registered here already. All you need is the VIN.

Other than that best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Just a point of note when buying one of these second hand, check the oil on the dip stick, apparently it should always be a brown colour, if it starts going black it could be an engine rebuild.

I don't know this from experiance just something i heard/read when i was thinking of going for one.
    I wasn't allowed in the end, apparently they are ugly looking!!!
    Not that i could've afforded it anyway.
    Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

X2 on the uk import,ive two mates who bought uk imports via the north without HPI's and both of them turned out to be damaged repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

You can get a HPI check on the RAC website for a fiver.

Cheers, I know about what to look out for in the engine etc I've owned a Vtec for two years and I imported it so I know what comes with it, was more looking for opinions on the car itself from anyone that has owned or drove one, how it performed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

if you are based in Dublin, pm me - I can arrange a passenger ride for you in mine and tell you what to look out for if you are interested in buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

get one in the UK, do it and register it before July, save yourself on buying in Ireland and stay on the existing system....

and btw - they're a great car, style, power, hendling... the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Government just won't let us have our fun cars without paying through the nose from them, realy don't like this new tax system at all. I know it helps the envoirment in a way but still.

The new VRT system will not change the environmental strains. If I drive a 4.0 V8 5,000 miles a year, I pay 1500 in road tax.

If you drive a 1.6 20,000 miles a year, you pay 300 or 400 euro in road tax.

Your car pumps out 3-4 times more Co2 than mine in the year, but I pay 5 times the amount of tax!

As you can see, it's all just another tax to keep the wool over the consumer's eyes and give the greens the crumbs from the power table.

Horsesh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Friend of mine in the UK used to own one. He recently drove my Porsche 944 S2 and said the cars were very similar - basically hands on and rewarding and a real drivers car.

That said he did say that the 944 was more confidence inspiring and a lot more neutral handling and that if you got into trouble with the S2000 and the rear stepped out - it was more difficult to recover.

That said, they are nice looking and probably worth having. His only other citisism was that the car wasnt that refined (which is ok, pending your requirements). The other thing to keep in mind, its a 2.0 high revving engine - obvious limitations there - irrespective of VVT or such. Larger CC engines would naturally have more tourque, although a high revving screamer can also be nice, once again, depends on how you want to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great car, great engine, bit tail happy as any RWD...

You should look into getting Jap Import.. although they are rare enough but you can pick up a mint condition one with all the extras off one of the auction sites.. You should be able to pick up an 05 import for the same price as a 00 official import..

Go onto youtube and search for S2000 vs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

By the time a car gets here from Japan though it'll be registered under the new co2 system and you'll have to take it in the ass from the tax man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no, Shipping from Japan takes 6 weeks! you still have time but a UK spec car with a service history is a better deal!

Does the new c02 system affect the VRT aswell?Any car already registered in ireland is exempt from the new tax system, and any cars brought in after that date isn't is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Yep it does,vrt will rise on one from 30% to 36%

If contemplating a jap one theres lots to be had at auction,youd need to have it purchased around april tho just to have it landed here on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Curious - how/where does one buy from Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Happyman1

eireal wrote: »
    Yep it does,vrt will rise on one from 30% to 36%

If contemplating a jap one theres lots to be had at auction,youd need to have it purchased around april tho just to have it landed here on the safe side

Yep thats true I import a car or two here and there and I use Japan Auto Direct www.ajapanautodirect.com and they know about this and they said to me your safe to import a car up till may to get in by the new emissions

Advertisement