Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA cup bets - PP odds - BBC forecast

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

SATURDAY

Bristol Rovers v Southampton (1230 GMT)

Bristol Rovers have done very well in the competition and I do not think they will lose on Saturday.

With Lennie Lawrence and Paul Trollope in charge of the football side of the club, they are extremely well run and live within their means.

Southampton recently lost George Burley to Scotland and will have John Gorman in charge for the match.

Saints are still dogged by rumours of financial problems and all is far from well on the south coast.

However, with Rovers having already beaten Fulham in the competition the Pirates have lost any surprise factor and I don't expect Southampton to underestimate the task that faces them.

Match preview
    Verdict: 1-1

Bristol Rovers havnt lost at home in 10 games.
    Soton have lost 3 and drawn one of last four, and havnt wont away in six matches
    The writing seems to be on the walls for an upset of a home win, and thats prob why the tv cameras are there, the club is in turmoil - but its a game id rather avoid a bet on, with on league in the difference of the two clubs.
    At a push id back Bristol Rovers to carry on a little form - Bristol R +1 = 8/15 (but best avoided IMO)

Cardiff v Wolves

I'm not sure the draw for the fourth round will have pleased either of these teams - though the one that wins will obviously think it worked out well.

The winning team will be into the last eight of the competition and assured of their quarter-final fixture being televised.

Wolves have been very up and down. There has been very little consistency about them over the last 10 games.

This game is very difficult to predict but I will probably go for Cardiff on the basis that they are at home.

Bluebirds boss Dave Jones, a former manager of Wolves, has been around the block when it comes to the Championship and will know all about their opposition.

However, I reckon that Jones and opposite number Mick McCarthy both regard reaching the play-offs as more important than the Cup.

Match preview
    Verdict: 2-1

Both sit on the exact same points in the league -

Cardiff will be without winger Joe Ledley (hamstring) and defender Glenn Loovens (suspension).

Trevor Sinclair and Riccardo Scimeca are fit again and could figure.

Wolves have Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, George Elokobi, Dave Edwards and Dan Jones all cup-tied as they have played for former teams in the competition.

But on-loan Coventry striker Kevin Kyle can play as winger Michael Kightly (who scored a brace in this fixture earlier in the season) (ankle) and forward Stephen Ward (knee) miss out.

considering the above info from bbc, id have to side with Cardiff also. Yet again not much between the two teams, yet with Jimmy Floyd there should be enough strike power.
    Neither are on the wave of amazing form, but if i was to choose a bet it would be cardiff to overturn the 3-2 defeat from earlier in the season -
    My two bets are:
    Jimmy Floyd to score in 90 minutes, and cardiff to win - 10/3
    Cardiff to win - 5/4

Chelsea v Huddersfield

These two teams met in an FA Cup third-round tie at Stamford Bridge in January 2006.

Chelsea, managed by Jose Mourinho, won 2-1 and Peter Jackson, then in charge at Town, billed the match as the battle between football's two best-looking bosses.

"I'm not sure that will be the case this weekend with Avram Grant pitted against Andy Ritchie."LOL

I was in the same Brighton team as Andy in the early 80s and he is a really good man but I don't think his team will leave Stamford Bridge with any of the spoils.

The Town fans will go there and have a fantastic day out and the club will receive some welcome revenue but there is too huge a gulf between the two teams.

Chelsea have all their players back from the Africa Cup of Nations, while Frank Lampard is fit again.

The Blues could enter two teams in the Premier League and they would probably both be good enough for a top-five finish.

Match preview
    Verdict: 2-0

I think it will be an easy win - with OBV no decent odds in chelsea's favour (1-12)
    so with a full compliment back i fancy 2/3 goal win
    Chelsea half time full time 4/9
    And - over 2.5 goals, at 1/2

Coventry v West Brom

A Midlands derby - and I'm going to tip Coventry to win.

This will probably please most West Brom fans because I tipped Peterborough to beat them in the last round and the Baggies won 3-0.

Both teams will be hoping to get through and land a big tie in the next round.

But the Coventry players will have the added incentive of trying to impress any prospective new managers following the dismissal of Iain Dowie.

West Brom are pushing for promotion to the Premier League, while the Cup represents Coventry's only chance of glory this season.

Match preview

WB 4th in the league, Cov 19th
    West brom 3W, 4D, 3L out of the last 10 games
    Coventry 4W 1D 5L out of last ten
    Ian Dowie has recently been sacked, and id have to go against Lawro's prediction.
    Westbrom won the last 3 fixtures against Cov -

Id be very confident that WB wont lose this one, and so draw no bet at 4-6 seems the best bet. (13-10 straight for those feeling brave)

Liverpool v Barnsley

Liverpool are about to embark on a crucial few days.

Given their position in the Premier League, it is important for them to succeed in cup competitions.

Four days after they play Barnsley, they play Inter Milan in the first-leg of their Champions League tie.

Liverpool have not played since Chelsea on Sunday so if I was in charge I would play my strongest team, with the intention of substituting two or three players after 60-65 minutes with the game effectively won.

Simon Davey has done well at Barnsley. They are a decent, workmanlike team but their Cup run will end on Saturday.

Verdict: 3-0

Barnsley have a goalkeeper crisis, and luke steele came in from WB on emergency loan.
    Torres is more than likely to be rested (correct me if im wrong)
    Considering this i think liverpool will def get the win they need, but it mightnt be a high scoring game.
    My bet is under 3.5 goals at 4/7

Man Utd v Arsenal (1715 GMT)

There is so little to choose between these two teams yet so much hype surrounding the fixture.

Fixtures such as this are always over-hyped and people expect a classic when they finally sit down to watch the match.

The truth is that you don't really see classic encounters between the top two teams.

I don't think either of these teams will want a replay, so if the game is locked after 60 minutes, a bit nip and tuck, it might suddenly open up.

That said, the two teams are battling it out for the Premier League title and will not want to lose against their primary opposition.

As is often the case between these two, I think this match will end in a draw.

Match preview
    Verdict: 1-1

The big cahuna - im a biased man u fan and so i cant wait for this. Evra and Rooney back is a big plus.
    Clichy, sagna and perhaps senderos are out - with eboue and toure back in
    I think Man U's season will be defined by the next two games, and i can see ferguson getting one over on his rival in a low scoring game.
    As a neutral arsenal +1 at 8/13 is UNREAL value. Esp with the reinforcements of the african boys returning.

But . . . its all about the even money for myself. Man united to win
    (an alternative bet for man u backers is man u 1-0, 11/2 man u 2-0 8/1 man u 2-1 7/1. The three likely scores IMO, paying from 6/5 - 2/1 if same bet on all three)

SUNDAY

Sheff Utd v Middlesbrough (1400 GMT)

When a team is relegated, as the Blades were last season, they often lose their manager and a lot of players.

The fans expect to go straight back up but the campaign that follows is often one of consolidation.

It becomes a futile job for the new manager and costly for the club if they do decide to part company with the new boss.

The Blades have experienced the difficulty of adjusting to life back in the Championship this season but I think they will beat Boro in the Cup.

Knocking out Man City was a major scalp and United's in-your-face approach has the potential to upset Middlesbrough as well.

The Blades have lots of power in the likes of Luton Shelton and James Beattie and you know they will have a real go at Gareth Southgate's team.

Match preview
    No chance Lawro - away win for me, simple as 13-10

Preston v Portsmouth

How can you tip your own team, struggling in the Championship, to beat a side sitting eighth in the Premier League?

Portsmouth are all about pace and power. They are easily the biggest team in the top flight - and I mean that in a positive way.

I cannot see North End coping with the threat that they pose.

Preston ran a very average Man City side close last season but ended up on the losing side and I don't think they will be reaching the last eight this year.

There are just six Premier League clubs left in the competition and Pompey boss Harry Redknapp will be very aware that his team have an excellent chance of getting to Wembley and experiencing all the glory that entails.

I think he will put out a strong team at Deepdale.

Verdict: 0-2

Pompey to win away from home - but my bet here would be . . .
    draw/pompey at 7/2 and
    Pompey/pompey at 2/1
    If you put the same amount on both, it pays even money upwards (depending on which) which certainly beats the 5/6 on offer!

So having reviewed them all, ill be doing my Pompey bet, Man U bet, and Chelsea bet. As singles, and perhaps together aswell. (with a small acc with all above in it too!)
    enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It's at this stage in the comp that a big side gets knocked out by an underdog... so who's it going to be? Chelsea or liverpool? or Portsmouth(not so big but a Prem team)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm gonna put a Verry small double on... Back UTD win and Lay Pompey win. 4.15 on BF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If these are Lawro's predictions lay them all in an acca and retire

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Only 1 cup bet for me this weekend:

Preston +1 10/11
    Sheff Utd 2/1

Nearly 5/1..

Have done a treble of teams in form/playing well too..

Lincoln 5/6 (won last 3, 5 of last 6, Home against a Maccesfield team with 1 win in 6)

Swansea 8/11 (won 5 of last 7, unbeaten in all these, away to Port Vale who have worse home record in League 2)

Stockport 4/6 at home (unbeaten in last 6 and coming off cracking 4-1 away win against 5th place Rotherham)

about 4.3/1...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can't see anything other than wins for Liverpool and Chelsea. Both have big weeks ahead and I see them both getting off to a good start -

1 W Bremen v Nurnberg (Backing W Bremen OR The Draw @ 1.09)
    2 Liverpool v Barnsley (Backing Liverpool @ 1.18)
    3 Chelsea v Huddersfield (Backing Chelsea @ 1.11)
    4 Inter v Livorno (Backing Inter @ 1.25)
    5 Olympiacos v Ergotelis (Backing *******cos @ 1.13)
    6 Celtic v Hearts (Backing Celtic @ 1.33)
    7 Fiorentina v Catania (Backing Fiorentina @ 1.41)

Went for 6 folds on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Couldn't find much but so I went for a Xavi style bet

1 Liverpool v Barnsley (Backing Liverpool @ 1.17)
    2 Inter v Livorno (Backing Inter @ 1.3)
    3 Chelsea v Huddersfield (Backing Chelsea @ 1.1)
    4 *******cos v Ergotelis (Backing *******cos @ 1.11)

25 profit from 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

;):)

6 outa seven in, not bad if i do say so myself

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I can't see anything other than wins for Liverpool and Chelsea. Both have big weeks ahead and I see them both getting off to a good start -

1 W Bremen v Nurnberg (Backing W Bremen OR The Draw @ 1.09)
    2 Liverpool v Barnsley (Backing Liverpool @ 1.18)
    3 Chelsea v Huddersfield (Backing Chelsea @ 1.11)
    4 Inter v Livorno (Backing Inter @ 1.25)
    5 Olympiacos v Ergotelis (Backing *******cos @ 1.13)
    6 Celtic v Hearts (Backing Celtic @ 1.33)
    7 Fiorentina v Catania (Backing Fiorentina @ 1.41)

Went for 6 folds on this one.

Liverpool have screwed me over but its six folds so if Fiorentina win tomorrow I make a decent amount as all the others have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

semibluff wrote: »
    Westbrom won the last 3 fixtures against Cov -

We actually lost to them last time out 4-2 at home :( but today more than made up for that :D cant wait for the draw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭paulizei

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Liverpool have screwed me over but its six folds so if Fiorentina win tomorrow I make a decent amount as all the others have won.
    You will only get back a fraction of your stake I think. The odds on each selection are too short for a profitable return.

• Advertisement

had enough on man u at evens to more than cover the correct score bet, so nice profit overall.

wba, stats taken from bbc.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭wba88

wba, stats taken from bbc.co.uk
    right oh, wont be trusting them too much then. good to hear you were up this wkend, i was waiting on an extra goal in the hull/colchester game :(.......it never came

7/9 - woop woop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Sheff United playing much better than Boro. Get on at 3/1

SATURDAY

- Bristol R +1 = 8/15 )[/COLOR]

My two bets are:
    Jimmy Floyd to score in 90 minutes, and cardiff to win - 10/3
    Cardiff to win - 5/4[/COLOR]

Chelsea half time full time 4/9 boooooooooooo
    And - over 2.5 goals, at 1/2[/COLOR]

Id be very confident that WB wont lose this one, and so draw no bet at 4-6 seems the best bet. (13-10 straight for those feeling brave)[/COLOR]

My bet is under 3.5 goals at 4/7[/COLOR]

But . . . its all about the even money for myself. Man united to win
    (an alternative bet for man u backers is man u 1-0, 11/2 man u 2-0 8/1 man u 2-1 7/1. The three likely scores IMO, paying from 6/5 - 2/1 if same bet on all three)[/COLOR]

Pompey to win away from home - but my bet here would be . . .
    draw/pompey at 7/2 and
    Pompey/pompey at 2/1
    If you put the same amount on both, it pays even money upwards (depending on which) which certainly beats the 5/6 on offer!

Advertisement