Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightroom woes..

• 15-02-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Me again :P

Right so.. I appear to be having problems with any Adobe software it would seem. But I have noticed something that someone here may be able to help explain.

What's happening is that all my images in Lightroom, Photoshop etc appear washed out and not as vivid as they appear on the camera LCD or in windows explorer (they appear the same on both of these).

I noticed something when importing to Lightroom however. I had imported about 8 images and they were added to the library. At a glance I thought they looked the way they should. But then, one by one, they all became washed out.

So is there something that kicks in after importing photos that may do this?

Is there any way I can prevent it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

At a guess it sounds to me like your monitor need calibrating. Windows is not the best for viewing pictures, it screws them up a little when you are viewing them and what you see is not accurate... Whatever you see in ps or lightroom is usually correct though, it adjusts for this - ps automatically optimises the display of images by carrying out an on-the-fly conversion between the image profile and the monitor profile. This does not alter the actual image in any way.

Calibrating your monitor adjusts three things - the luminance (brightness) of the monitor white, thecolour of that monitor white, and the tone response of the display. You can try using Adobe gamma for this, it installs with ps and will calibrate your monitor at the system level which will let you get rid of any unwanted colour casts and get the best display for your images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

mishima wrote: »
    Me again :P

Right so.. I appear to be having problems with any Adobe software it would seem. But I have noticed something that someone here may be able to help explain.

What's happening is that all my images in Lightroom, Photoshop etc appear washed out and not as vivid as they appear on the camera LCD or in windows explorer (they appear the same on both of these).

I noticed something when importing to Lightroom however. I had imported about 8 images and they were added to the library. At a glance I thought they looked the way they should. But then, one by one, they all became washed out.

So is there something that kicks in after importing photos that may do this?

Is there any way I can prevent it?

Cheers.

At a guess, if you are shooting RAW, the camera includes in the RAW file a preview jpeg image developed with your camera settings, this image is used by the camera lcd screen, windows explorer and Lightroom/ACR to give the initial preview. When Lightroom/ACR develop their own previews after import they use their default settings which are very neutral, but you can specify a preset to use in LR if you wish.

Do a search for -your camera model- Lightroom preset and use that as your import default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mishima

Thanks both of you for your replies. I'll have a stab at that this evening.

I don't think it's anything to do with calibration.. Isn't that just adjusting the monitor basically? In that case, there will still be a difference between Lightroom-viewed images and windows-viewed ones.

I'll reply again tomorrow with any developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

wild guess, could it be some form of colour profile in the program ?
    or a driver for the screen !
    these are as stated a wild guess ! :)

Advertisement