Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2008 Music Production Survey

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be fun to see what sort of activities we lot get up to. This is a multiple-choice poll and covers composition-type production as well as engineering/recording-type production (if you get my gist). I've made it public so it'll be easy for us all to stalk each other ;)

I've stolen the poll choices from Music Thing and added a few of my own. Let me know if ye'd like any further poll options added, or if the options should be modified, and let the voting commence!

Edit: I've tweaked the poll options to add "mixing" to both the recording options as I guess its the same person doing that 99% of the time anyway.

What sort of Music Production shenanigans do you get up to? 74 votes

Studio recording/mixing
    0%
    Home recording/mixing
    16%
    Trev MteamdreschMongoNiall - Dahliajtsuitedsei046pinksoirbooooonzostudioratkeyshwaPaulBrewersmurfrockstar 12 votes
    Mastering/post production
    29%
    Trev MteamdreschMongoogyhenessjonNiall - DahliacondracornbbjtsuitedSpicy LaurenThomas_S_Huntersonfrobisherjudas101pinksoirMattKiddjpbarrywhite_falconIomega Mancharlesquinnbooooonzo 22 votes
    DJ/live electronic musician
    5%
    Mongocondrajtsuitedbooooonzo 4 votes
    Live sound production/engineering
    5%
    condrajtsuitedbooooonzosmurfrockstar 4 votes
    Home electronic music production/sequencing
    12%
    SoundmanMongoogycondracornbbjtsuitedsei046Furious-Redkeyshwa 9 votes
    Seriously geeky stuff (eg Max/PD/audio coding)
    18%
    mike65MongoogyhenessjoncondracornbbjtsuitedThomas_S_Huntersonred davewhite_falconcharlesquinnbooooonzodav naglesmurfrockstar 14 votes
    Student of any of the above
    5%
    ogycondracornbbjtsuited 4 votes
    Misc (please elaborate in thread)
    6%
    Trev MMongoogyThomas_S_HuntersonFurious-Red 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'll get the ball rolling - I write a lot of audio code so I ticked the "geek" box. I make tunes and do some basic recording at home, and occasionally help out with the sound at gigs.

I've done a bit of studio and post work but not in the last year or so so I left that box unchecked. And I'm aspiring to play some tunes live so hopefully I'll check that box in the near future :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

- i record and produce at home mostly, sometimes in studio in college
    - i engineer gigs from time to time, mostly friends, but have got a few other gigs through this
    - i use max/msp/jitter
    - i'm just finishing the last 3 months of a masters in music and media technology in trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Hey ogy, how do you find that masters course?
    I just clicked on their site and seen the closing date is today! :(

Just out of interest what sort of jobs are available for graduates and how does the pricing work for mature students (can't believe I'm asking that im only 23!!!! lol)

I'm currently working in software dev (web based stuff) but have always wanted to get into the audio field.

cheers for any insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey yeh, nearly at the end of the 2 years and i really enjoyed it. they push you pretty hard, kinda has a reputation for being a lot of work and i think they like living up to that:) but its not unreasonable

it leaves the jobs end of things wide open as theres loads of different areas covered: sound engineering, video, DSP/hardware, composition, music theory, music cognition/psychoacoustics, web design, multichannel audio...

some really good lecturers and a nice way of finding events/oppurtunities/people in the whole music/video/technology area.

the combination of software background and music sounds like itd suit you, as its aimed at people who have an interest in both creativity and technology.

pretty cheap too, its got some special EU funding at the moment (dunno how long it will last, they only find out if theyve got it year to year, but theyve had it for years) so its only about E1600 a year, might go up a little year to year, but that neck of the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Home recording/mixing
    Studio Production. Freelance Engineer and Producer, Orchestras, Choirs, Trad, Rock N Roll, Hippity Hop. Co-owner of small city centre studio, 10 years as house guy in an SSL room before. Love doing big sessions with lots of microphones and headphones and pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i pretty much do all that stuff at this stage. haven't done anything in max/Msp or csound for a while. made a nice eq last year but lost it when my computer died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

Song writing
    Home project studio

Mixing & recording

Weekly Internet radio slot Dj other peoples material

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Home recording/mixing
    I do a lot of Audio Givin' Out.
    This usually involves a bit of Eyebrow Raising too as I find it helps things along. I have a very low tolerance for sloppy drummers and out of tune guitars - the mainstays of Indie music, which I love! Go figure....

I'm sometimes involved in the odd pro-recording session, mostly mixing recently - The Blizzards and Glen Baker being the last two.

Am on the look out for bands to produce as I intend to get back in the hot seat a bit more this year.
    Due to start recording with 'The Aftermath' in the next few weeks...

Recently Bought- Athlete, Hoosiers, Roisin Murphy, The Enemy, Wombats, Nick Lowe, Sons + Daughters, Siouxsie, Enon, Fionn Regan, Reverend and the Makers, Emma Pollock, Super Furry Animals, Led Zeppelin, King Tubby, Juno Falls
    Otherwise in the order I noticed/appreciated them - The Beatles, Roy Orbison, Glenn Miller, Dusty Springfield, Abba, Dean Martin, Status Quo , The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, Radio Luxembourg, Dave Fanning, THE JAM, U2's 'Boy' album, The Cure, Thomas Dolby, NEW WAVE, Motown, Power Pop, Madness, The Beat, Mr.Bowie, The Icicle Works, THE SMITHS, The Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Randy Travis, Ricky Skaggs, Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, Dwight Yoakam, Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Jimmy Webb, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Andy White, Jellyfish, That Petrol Emotion (Gawd Bless em, they opened my eyes), Something Happens, Voice of the Beehive, Juno Falls, BBC 6MUSIC, The Streets, Hard-Fi, Duke Special, Neosupervital, Bill Withers, The Good, The Bad and The Queen, Reverend and The Makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Home electronic music production/sequencing I voted cos I'm a sad bedroom PC-er ;)

Never actualy use a sequencer except for mixing mulit-track audio - midi tracks are the work of the devil. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

mike65 wrote: »
    Home electronic music production/sequencing I voted cos I'm a sad bedroom PC-er ;)

Never actualy use a sequencer except for mixing mulit-track audio - midi tracks are the work of the devil. :)

Mike.

well I used to think like this ...

but in reality midi is a good toool

I guess there may be cheats out there copying and pastin someones performance ,,,, but they dont get anywhere do they !!!!

or am i wrong

• Advertisement
Advertisement