Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real broadband map idea ?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

The map that we see is their map. How about we create our own map with people who can and can not get broadband. What service speed and price etc. Kind of like a petition. It would prove a lot better than that crap they have which is completely not true. A picture tells a 1000 words. Something with google earth would be best ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

rom wrote: »
    The map that we see is their map. How about we create our own map with people who can and can not get broadband. What service speed and price etc. Kind of like a petition. It would prove a lot better than that crap they have which is completely not true. A picture tells a 1000 words. Something with google earth would be best ?

I just posted a similar message on "BB where and when" thread.

As a result of the PrimeT crap last night from Ryan and this -

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0816.pdf

which says '58% of Internet users have BB' or the like... we need REAL data.

I asked on the other thread if someone with the necessary skills and access can set up a data collection survey on here.

I was in email contact with Damien Mulley and he suggested that the 'old' Ireland Offline activists might be re-activated to cut the crap on this issue.

Bye, Barry

P.S. can we use/adapt this map? -

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=19&msid=112855554048460880778.0004358aea20ba94cba25

of wifi hotspots or create something similar for BB?? I'm not techie enough to know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Saw Eamonn ryan on Prime Time and even though I was hoping he would do a u-turn on the market will provide crap he is sticking with it. He is hoping to have 1Meg countrywide. Gee what a forward thinker. I had sent him on this report last week which details the US issues (which are identical to our own)
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080131-fixing-us-broadband-100-billion-for-fiber-to-every-home.html

His personal secretary said he would read it - maybe he did - but he sure didnt take any of it on board.

So far a very disapointing minister. I know he inherited the issue but thats no excuse for inaction.

PS this is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

rom wrote: »

You mention "we", for this you will have to take the lead yourself as there is no official
    IoffL presence anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

There's a DSL exchange map to get you started if you search back through this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

BarryM wrote: »
    I was in email contact with Damien Mulley and he suggested that the 'old' Ireland Offline activists might be re-activated to cut the crap on this issue.

Barry, I was answering your email question of your chances of getting old IrelandOffline members to regroup and start a campaign. I said come here to gather names as there would be people here who would be interested:
    I think you'd have the best chance by starting something on the
    IrelandOffline forum

I suggest you start a fresh thread and start gathering names for your new campaign. I'm sure many former IrelandOffline members would be only too willing to get involved. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

bealtine wrote: »
    You mention "we", for this you will have to take the lead yourself as there is no official
    IoffL presence anymore.

Count me in to help in whatever way I can. Is there any way this set of Forums can be used for data gathering? I seem to recall that there are places where you can reply to a post by providing data into a questionnaire.

As I see it we need -

Exact Geographic Location; present service description (answers to a set of options?); speed (nominal as offered and actual if known); if a request has been made for an upgrade, to whom and the response; timescales for reply/installation to a service request;

what other information would be useful?

The most important thing is that we get a LOT of answers, the recent ComReg survey was 919 people across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I was thinking along the lines of this?
    http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/vbgooglemapme.php?do=showmain

where you let individual users post their own 'reception/availability report'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

BarryM wrote: »
    I just posted a similar message on "BB where and when" thread.

As a result of the PrimeT crap last night from Ryan and this -

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0816.pdf

which says '58% of Internet users have BB' or the like... we need REAL data.

I asked on the other thread if someone with the necessary skills and access can set up a data collection survey on here.

I remember taking that survey. It was on http://www.irishopinions.com/

Now correct me if I'm wrong but surely most people taking an online survey will be using BB. I mean why would someone on 56k waste the time or money filling in an online survey.

A big part of any survey undertaken would have to be to go door to door and record results IMO if you want accurate data that reflects the true picture of how many people have access to BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you look at the national bb map done initially by dempsey then by ryan and his department you will see all sorts of ghost services inserted by the operators themselves , therefore the real map must be qualitatively different !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well they did ask them to include areas they were going to introduce service to over the next few years or some nonsense like that (there is a thread here somewhere about it).

So its no wonder they are ghost services. Eircom said they were going to enable that huge list of exchanges in that time and they are nowhere near completing that list at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

brim4brim wrote: »

A big part of any survey undertaken would have to be to go door to door and record results IMO if you want accurate data that reflects the true picture of how many people have access to BB.

There was a report in last weeks Farmers Journal, the IFA did a nationwide survey of something like 940 branches and came up with a figure of BB not available to 74% of the rural (not just farmers) population.

I don't have a link for this but if anyone wanted more info, Pat Smith is the man at the Farm Centre in Bluebell.

brim4brim wrote: »
    So its no wonder they are ghost services. Eircom said they were going to enable that huge list of exchanges in that time and they are nowhere near completing that list at this stage.

The huge list ( 319 of them ) is indeed marked out and as if there would be 100% DSL coverage to about 7km from each of them.

Thats complete rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

This is my situation, hope it helps...

Exact Geographic Location: 8.2931W 54.1055N. That's near Geevagh in Co Sligo. I'm about 6 miles from the exchange in Ballyfarnon, Co Roscommon and about 6 miles from the exchange in Riverstown, Co Sligo. Both are broadband enabled but I'm mid way between the two in no man's land.

Present service description: UTVip

Speed (nominal as offered and actual if known): Actual speed is 38.6 kbps at the moment but it goes up and down like a yo yo according to the weather and some days it dosconnects every 10 minutes without warning. Neighbours down the road have the same disconnecting problem.

If a request has been made for an upgrade, to whom and the response; timescales for reply/installation to a service request: Have checked with the Eircom website but according to them, my line is not suitable for Broadband. It also failed the Smart Telecom line test.

Lastmile have a wireless transmitter over at Ballyfarnon but the terrain is hilly and tree-y so no direct line of sight. Digiweb are also over at Ballyfarnon but I doubt if that is any good to me either.

I know of someone with an O2 modem. They live within a mile of an O2 mast on Carran Hill which overlooks Geevagh and can be seen for miles around. Maddeningly, O2 will not upgrade this mast so it can be used with their modems so their signal is coming from Sligo town at a snail's pace. Connection speed goes up and down like a yo yo too.

Only possible solution is Fastcom who were investigating the possibility of putting up a transmitter on the roof of the house of the people above but that was last year and they haven't heard anything since. and in the meantime they are now serving areas who already have fixed line broadband. There are lots of people in my area who would love broadband. There are two new housing estates in Geevagh and I dread to think what my speed will go down to when the houses are all occupied and get phone lines in.

So, that's me, with a slow, unreliable connection, finding it near impossible to keep my pc updated and to upload even one photo to the net and keep my website updated (because of the disconnecting problem). I have to do this at my Mum's in England twice a year. She's on 8MB broadband and I can upload 100 photos at a time. Absolutely maddening.

Anyway, I hope this is the sort of thing you're looking for! :D

ETA: Location. Thanks for the guide!

Location finding guide in a usable form. I have PM'd this to a few people recently so here is the public guide.

1. Use the Satsig Reverse Geocoder to get your exact location in 8.nnnn west and 53.nnnn north format . They only go to 4 decimal point, you need about 6 or 7 .

Its pretty near ( c.100m) but uses the somewhat crummy google maps

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm

2. Then use http://maps.YAHOO.com/ to check the location exactly

Yahoo uses the same maps as garmin satnav, its better in rural areas in Ireland than the google map base that Tom Tom also uses.

paste the Satsig Data into maps.yahoo.com in the find location box ( top one of two boxes on top left) and change from 8.nnnn west 54.nnnn north to this

8.nnnnW54.nnnnN

then finesse the location with a few decimal digits W and N here and there to get the exact spot to within a metre or two. yahoo recognises out to about 8 decimal points so your house may really be

8.17153443w54.77688667n

by the time its spot on at the front door

3. Store this on your mobile phone as a contact in case some feckin courier asks where the house is and you need it in business card format :D

Welcome to modern country living people .

OH

And you can also do a deprived population estimate from this data here

Its pretty damn accurate . Just click into your area :)

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/EI/10/

Then write to your TD !

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000002773
    Approximately 80 percent of people in County Sligo have access to broadband.

Yeah right! :rolleyes: :D

There are about 22 exchanges in Sligo, how many are done ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There are about 22 exchanges in Sligo, how many are done ???

14 - 15

If you have a bang up to date list of enabled exchanges kaizer can you pm it to me ????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you have a bang up to date list of enabled exchanges kaizer can you pm it to me ????

Mail sent. Not exactly bang up to date but near enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks KS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Anyone have a list of exchanges with three letter code? Useful for deciphering IP numbers to get approximate location.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

genie wrote: »
    Read my thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242110
    I'm just 5km outside sligo town itself and I can't get it. Although I hope to if all goes to plan. It's just such an amount of hastle to get what 'should' now be a basic service for everyone with a telephone line.

Have you see this? Especially the Editor's note at the bottom of the article.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mheysnsnsn&cat=news

Advertisement