Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing provider rant.

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Here it goes:

Signed up to NTL digital home phone mid December last. Got a bill from Perlico in Jan, I figured okay, I still owed them for the calls made in early December. Paid.

Just got another bill from Perlico for Jan! WTF:confused: They said they were never notified of a termination on my account. I thought that's what NTL did with all the forms to be signed etc.? Now I've just been billed for a service which I'm not even using?

Can anybody confirm if NTL do contact the current provider to notify them of such a change? I hate paying for something for nothing.

FCUKSAKE.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ntl have taken ownership of your line and that means that perlico would have had to release ownership of your line.

call perlico and explain that to them and of course don't pay the bill under any circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes ntl would have had to cancel your line and services with perlico before they could take it over so of course perlico were notified! you do not need to contact perlico at all unless you were in the middle of a 12month contract.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    yes ntl would have had to cancel your line and services with perlico before they could take it over so of course perlico were notified! you do not need to contact perlico at all unless you were in the middle of a 12month contract.

Not always the case. I was with UTV and transferred lock stock and barrel to BT but BT only transferred the stock and barrel..

So for 4 months (or so) I had to pay UTV for line rental and BT for Broadband at the full rate (I had signed for the bundle but ..) until BT finally transferred line rental.

Transfers are supposed to take circa 14 days but that must be in LaLa land..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When I rang Perlico they claimed that "because NTL's digital phone is a different service to our standard phone line, we weren't notified"...blaa....blaa......blaa....Basically they said that I'd have to pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

You should contact comreg and ask them to look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is your phone being provided over the cable network?
    Did you get a new number, or did you keep your existing one?

If it's a cable phone you just ordered an extra service that is totally different to your normal phone provided over the eircom network (by perlico). There would be no reason why NTL (UPC) would notify Perlico or eircom of anything.

It'd be no different from you taking out a bill pay phone with say vodafone and expecting them to tell eircom that you no longer wanted to use your landline.

Cable phones operate over the cable network and have absolutely nothing to do with any service provided over your eircom line.

You haven't changed provider, rather you have ordered an extra service over your cable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Tanabe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

When I rang Perlico they claimed that "because NTL's digital phone is a different service to our standard phone line, we weren't notified"...blaa....blaa......blaa....Basically they said that I'd have to pay the bill.

actually that is a point. i forgot that NTL do their phone service over the cable rather than the phone line. its possible to have both perlico and ntl at the same time so they wouldn't have to contact perlico to take it over. hmm, that's a dilly of a pickle.

its looking to me like this is the fault of NTL. 99.999% of their customers would be coming from landline based operators so this problem must have happened hundreds of times and they should tell people they have to cancel their old service

or better yet, cancel it themselves. they don't physically have to to take over the line like another land line provider would but its good business practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Your moving through signing a CAF or TPV cancels your WHOLESALE contract and hence Perlico are not being billed. However you still have a RETAIL contract that you need to cancel yourself.

Of course this is if telephony through copper.

If through a different medium i.e. ntl then of course it's separate contracts, which anyone should get. That's like me assuming buying a sky dish wil automatically cancel my ntl. Or if I switch to gas, the ESB will know to cut off my heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Big thanks to a certain member from this site (you know who you are) for clearing all this mess up for me. He took it upon himself to get to the bottom of my case & sort it all out for me. Thanks to him, Perlico are giving me a full refund.;)

When my number was ported over to UPC, Perlico were billing me for a landline number that didn't exist.:eek:

Advertisement