Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make him think it was his idea.

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Ladies, I need some help with manipulation. Read on...... :)

My bf and I have been together for 9 months, I love him to ridiculous heights and have always thought of him as being perfect in every way, but I have finally found a flaw. He gives the crappiest presents. Yesterday he gave me a pair of running shoes (I don't run so WTF!?), and for xmas he surprised me with a wardrobe type thingie. :confused::confused:

Now he is very loving and attentive but I'm his first serious gf so I think he's a little bit clueless about what we girlies like. My bday's coming up soon and if yesterday and xmas are anything to go by, well tbh I don't think I can fake another happy surprised face. He already has something in mind, needless to say I'm slightly concerned.

What I would REALLY love is an overnight trip to London in May - a friend of mine is getting married and I would dearly love to go to the wedding but I have so many other financial committments coming up, I just can't stretch my funds any further. So I need to make the bf think that making the trip happen will be the perfect pressie for me. Which it would. But I don't know how to go about it -like most men, subtle does not work on him.

Ladies - thoughts?

Thank you!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Tell him you'd love to go to London as your bday pressie, sorry but in my experience men don't take hints! No point leaving brochures under his nose, he wont get the hint. Take the bull by the horns and just tell him what you'd like, he might give you a little surprise also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*chuckles* So you have a perfect fella except for the fact that he gives bad presents? Sounds to me like you are a pretty lucky lass!

Now then, just tell him what you want....if you have something set in mind then it's not going to be a suprise and no point in thinking he's going to be upset that your helping him or anything.

Boys like direction when it comes to present, in whatever degree they need it be it subtle hints or billboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

Cathooo wrote: »
    Tell him you'd love to go to London as your bday pressie, sorry but in my experience men don't take hints! No point leaving brochures under his nose, he wont get the hint. Take the bull by the horns and just tell him what you'd like, he might give you a little surprise also.

agreed. tell him.
    we're idiots :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Call Derren Brown.

LadyJ wrote: »
    Call Derren Brown.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i'd just tell him, but to keep the surprise element tell him he can choose which airport you can fly into, that way it a win win suitation really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

Dragan wrote: »
    *chuckles* So you have a perfect fella except for the fact that he gives bad presents? Sounds to me like you are a pretty lucky lass!
    Now then, just tell him what you want....if you have something set in mind then it's not going to be a suprise and no point in thinking he's going to be upset that your helping him or anything.

Boys like direction when it comes to present, in whatever degree they need it be it subtle hints or billboards.

I agree with you 150% I know I'm very lucky to have him and he's an absolute gem *cleans rose tinted specs* ;) but I'm not exactly an oscar winning actress and I'd hate to hurt his feelings if he knew I thought his pressies sucked a**.

Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just say 'I want' I'm not very good at that. Hmmm.....

Cheers folks!
    Call Derren Brown.

LOL!!

Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just say 'I want' I'm not very good at that. Hmmm.....

Cheers folks!

LOL!!

You don't even have to say you want it, just mention that you think it would be really nice to do that for your birthday if you can afford it. He's a considerate boyfriend, he'll be all over the opportuinity to make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

You could start with the sentence....

'You know what the best birthday present ever would be....??? Just to spend some time with you somewhere lovely':D

Follow it up with 'I'd love to go x's wedding but I'm so broke....it's in London. London is supposed to be lovely....'

Then if you see him anywhere near Argos or Champion Sports smack him :D:D

He's probably spent 6 days out of his life wandering around trying to think about what to buy for you over the last 2 months and will be thrilled to be off the hook having to come up with yet another idea!!

You don't even have to say you want it, just mention that you think it would be really nice to do that for your birthday if you can afford it. He's a considerate boyfriend, he'll be all over the opportuinity to make you happy.

agreed. it makes his job easier and he knows it'll make you happy. seriously, he won't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

I actually have mentioned it LOADS of times that I'd love to go, but not as a specific birthday pressie.

Maybe that is what he has in mind.....

I HOPE SO I HOPE SO I HOPE SO!!!!!! *crosses all fingers, toes, legs and arms!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I wonder if you're going out with my ex. Lovely, lovely guy. Very thoughtful, caring etc. but man he was clueless about presents. He bought me an electric blanket for my birthday one year. It was bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Seriously, just tell him. For my birthday can you take me to london please. Me and my bf always tell each other what we want. practical: yes, unromantic: maybe. For Christmas we went shopping together and picked things out, then went for a big feed. It was far better than opening something on Christmas day and feigning happiness, plus it controlled how much we spent so we didn't go mad.

My bf told me one day he always means to remember when I say I like something but he just never does. I would imagine it's the same with all boys.

Just tell him. Hints are futile!!

I HOPE SO I HOPE SO I HOPE SO!!!!!! *crosses all fingers, toes, legs and arms!! :D

Well just keep dropping the hints! He'll appreciate them when he see's the smile on your face.

He bought me an electric blanket for my birthday one year. It was bizarre.

hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Tell him...in detail.

He's a man. In my experience hints don't work. Ever. Even the ones that go along the lines of "I reallly reaaaaalllllly want to go to that concert. The one a week before my birthday. The one with the tickets going on sale Monday morning at 8am. " :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yes I have to agree with the ladies who said TELL HIM exactly what you want.

I dropped enough hints for valentines day of 2 lovely dresses I saw online and my bf didn't pick up on it at all!! Was discussing this with my mum today actually and she said if you want something from a man you have to tell them instead of dropping hints!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

yeah just tell him. hes probably going crazy trying to think of something to get you. this way its easy for him & you get what you want. better than attempting to drop millions of hints & then being disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wonder if you're going out with my ex. Lovely, lovely guy. Very thoughtful, caring etc. but man he was clueless about presents. He bought me an electric blanket for my birthday one year. It was bizarre.
    lols - I would be delighted with that - i'm always cold! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I reckon you'll just have to be blunt about it, he probably won't catch on to hints. Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Just tell him directly what exactly you want. Men are stupid when it comes to taking hints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

If he happens to spend time with your friends at any point try and get one of them to say it to him. At least that way he'll still think it's a surprise for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I actually have mentioned it LOADS of times that I'd love to go, but not as a specific birthday pressie.

What if he doesn't have the reserves either? A wee bit selfish don't you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Unfortunately we lads are a bit think with subtle hints, you may have to simply say "you know what I'd love for my birthday, for us to go to England and my friend's wedding".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

He is being lazy when choosing presents for you and is just handing you the first thing he puts his hand on.....

If you want him to bring you to London for your birthday (which I think TBH is a very expensive present to ask someone for esp as you are only with him for 9 months now) then ask out straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if ya really cant say it out:

open this page and point to the screen.keep pointing until he notices and read the whole page.........

or setup any fren(close to you would be the best) pretend to be:
    hi,john,wat present are ya gonna get for Amy?we all the girls actually thinking of buying her ticket..blah..blah...but now we come to think of it,we should at least ask ya did ya get the ticket for her too?oh well we should have known that you caring bastard must have bought the ticket already.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

seraphimvc wrote: »
    if ya really cant say it out:

open this page and point to the screen.keep pointing until he notices and read the whole page.........

or setup any fren(close to you would be the best) pretend to be:
    hi,john,wat present are ya gonna get for Amy?we all the girls actually thinking of buying her ticket..blah..blah...but now we come to think of it,we should at least ask ya did ya get the ticket for her too?oh well we should have known that you caring bastard must have bought the ticket already.............

Translators please? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

that's a lot of money for a bday present...

two flights, overnight accomodation, wedding present, potentially a suit if he doesn't have one for work...

I don't know, maybe it's just me but the fact that someone cares enough about me to buy me anything would make me feel very lucky. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with pushing an expensive present on my other half, especially so early into a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Translators please? :confused:

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement