Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnotts pulling out of Henry street

Options
  • 15-02-2008 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Shock Horror :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

surely not, what's this based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gatsby

Calm down. They are not deserting the place

Arnotts are taking over the Debenhams store in the Jervis centre while they carry out a massive redevelopment of their current premises.

They have bought a lot of property on abbey and liffey streets over the last few years that they will expand into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

this is a massive redevelopment and I thought someone was at to refusing it or something, panic over! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are creating a new northern quarter around princes street so the main arnotts building is being redeveloped

edit: just saw on rte.ie that 580 jobs are to be lost, shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

they are creating a new northern quarter around princes street so the main arnotts building is being redeveloped

edit: just saw on rte.ie that 580 jobs are to be lost, shocking

Yes but in the long run they will employ more than they do now. Am I wrong in thinking Arnotts only renovated there existing shop a few years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yes but there's a lot more money to be made by renting new shops out to retailers rather than running the business yourself. MooseJam, this has been known about for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its a huge development that takes in henry st, liffey st and abbey st.47 new stores, apartments, cafes, bars and a 4 star hotel.its costing over a billion euro.although 580 jobs are going 1000 construction jobs will be created and 4000 when its all finished.with this site and the carlton site on o connell st, its expected to be one of the best shopping districts in the world.according to another website major retailers have expressed interest already including armani, abercrombie and fitch, and banana republic. will be worth the wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Yes but in the long run they will employ more than they do now. QUOTE]

I'm amazed that only one person commented on the fact that well over half the staff are being let go. A lot of union rights, working conditions and pensions that aren't coming back. I wouldn't too happy if I was let go, and told that it was better for the economy in the long run as there would be more jobs there in 4 years time (approx) - and some new chain stores.

Whenever I see a apartments built where there was a viable profitable business that employs lots of people, I suspect a short-term cash-in that hugely benefits a tiny minority.

Eh the apartments are being built on top of the shops. What do you want Arnotts to do? Employ all those extra people to do nothing for four years? It's not the public sector ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'm just feeling a little sceptical about the whole thing. Its fine for me, I don't work there and will appreciate all the new shops.

I was looking back over the timeline of this. The Irish Times on 7th Feb 07 reported anger from the union at unconfirmed reports of 400 redundancies, "a company (Arnotts) spokesman said some disruption would be inevitable but he would not comment on redundancies until detailed proposals had been finalised and staff were informed. He said the figure of 400 was "speculation". "

Today there is a report that a further 350 staff will be let go, additional to the existing 580 figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Does anyone know if Arnotts will be having some sort of clearence sale for when they are moving up to Jervis Street Shopping Centre???

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Yes but in the long run they will employ more than they do now. Am I wrong in thinking Arnotts only renovated there existing shop a few years back?

Yes, yes they did.

The 350 "staff" work in concessions and as far as I know are not arnotts employees. They're quite likely to get jobs in Debebhams, BT or any of the other retail shops around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The problem is the new jobs which will be created will mostly be yellow pack jobs and won't have the pay and conditions that the current staff possess. Anyone who takes redundance cannot be re-employed when the building is finished, which is fair enough.

Advertisement