Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massage & alcohol?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm going on a hen weekend in a spa for the day and then out for dinner and drinks/dancing in the evening. Was just wondering, does anyone know is there any problem with getting a full body massage in the afternoon and then going out drinking in the evening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I wouldn't think so, why would there be? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

There wouldn't be any MAJOR problem.

The massage should increase bloodflow around the body and the act of the massage itself will go someway towards breaking up toxins in the muscles and increase the workrate of the liver somewhat.

The easiest thing to do is get your hands on some Milk Thistle which you can pick up in any health food shop. Take one the night before the massage and one the same night after you are back from drinking. This will help the liver a massive ammount when dealing with a normal hang over and will help it nicely with any additional workload caused by toxin release that day.

There should be nothing at all to worry about.

Edit : I also forgot to mention that due to increase and improved blood flow around the body and additional vasodilation of the blood vessels i would hedge my bets that it will take one or two drinks less to get you drunk that night...so keep an eye on that one as well maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I got a facial once at a hen after drinking a bottle of wine. Not a good idea, felt uncomfortable, couldn't enjoy it or sit still and felt like I was floating the whole time. Won't make that mistake again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Thanks a mil for the quick responses, I just didn't know much about the physical effect of a massage on the body (apart from the relax-y bit!). Thanks for the milk thistle tip Dragan I'll certainly grab some of that before I go and yeah I figured drink would go to my head that much quicker so I'll take it easy.

And Meathlass thanks for that tip I wasn't planning to drink before the massage anyway so should be okay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

You'll also be quite dehydrated after the massage and you will need to flush out the toxins so make sure you drink LOADS of water before you go out!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Meathlass wrote: »
    I got a facial once at a hen after drinking a bottle of wine. Not a good idea, felt uncomfortable, couldn't enjoy it or sit still and felt like I was floating the whole time. Won't make that mistake again though.

A large part of the aspect of a facial is to draw a lot of blood close to the surface of the skin....in effect you were filling your head with blood with an alchohol content, hence the floating effect.

Milk Thistle is a fantastic little helper for hangovers, just pop one before hitting the hay with some water and it will help a massive amount the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I know some people who give massages and to the best of my knowledge most practicioners wont do it if you have consumed alcohol prior to it. AFAIK its one of the contraindications they should check for. So i'd stick to your plan of not drinking prior to it

Afterwards it should be fine though i'd imagine if you follow D's advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yes it is a contraindication as is any sort of intoxification.

After a massage Therapists give you home care advice. Not drinking alcohol is one of them. It is a pretty serious one, especially if essential oils are used. It is not advised at all.

Drinking, smoking etc after a massage will just reintroduce toxins into the body and with increased blood & lymph flow it is definitely not recommended!!

I have had experience at this and I myself am a massage therapist and should know better. When in college, i'd had a full body aroma massage ant went out drinking that night, bad bad idea!!! Was very drunk very quickly.

It is not advised at all.

But as someone said above, drink plenty of water. Maybe get the massage first thing in the morning and drink drink drink(!!!) all the water during the day but don't go mad on the drink and definitely make sure you have a decent meal.... again that's another piece of homecare of advice after a treatment.

Typically the homecare advice that applies here is

No alcohol, cigarettes
    No strenuous exercise
    No heavy meals

So just be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 haille

As a massage therapist and Aromatherapist I would advize to go easy on alcohol after massage.You would need to have lots of water drank as its advisable to drink water after massage anyway.Be very careful if essential oils are used as Clary Sage essential oil is not recommended if taking alcohol.

Advertisement