Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted List out

Options
  • 15-02-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

I have just gotten eyes on the restricted firearms/ammunition list. Not to bad unless your a pistol shooter and 308. I will sumarize but someone will need to check actual wording.

Anything 308 (7.62) and above is classed as restricted (Cant remembr if this includes 308 or above)

Anything above 22 caliber in pistol restricted

Any shotgun which fires more than 3 or has a folding stock, pistol grip or generally falls into assault category restricted

22 semi auto with capacity for more than 10 rounds

silencer for a 22 rim fire not restricted

explosive/sabot/slugs ammo is restricted. No mention 223.
    Please excuse font etc in post as it is being posted via a hand held pda. Will be driving for nxt three hours so unfortunately won't be able to respond till pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thed4king

Where abouts did you read this from? Would you have a link by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

thed4king wrote: »
    Where abouts did you read this from? Would you have a link by any chance?

in agun shop saw it at the till aaked could I read it we read it and mulled over it check doj website. letter landed today for owner with copy of legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

what about silencers for 22 centre fire???

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Was it an official release from the DoJ?

I can't see anything on their website listing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its been around for a few weeks but DoJ and the FCP were keeping it under wraps. AFAIK its only claibers above .308 that are restriced but not .308 its self.

• Advertisement

heres a stupid one for you.........

when they say restricted do they mean that

a) there is no way you can have one ever.........

or

b) you can have one once you fit certain criteria and check certain boxes and have good reason to own one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

The actual wording is "Essentially all pistols (bar Olympic pistols) ,rifles greater than .308 calibre and shotguns holding more than three cartridges will be regarded as restricted."
    Applications for restricted firearms will have to be made to the applicant's Chief Superintendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

any centrefire suppressor you need an authorisation for your FO.Thats nothing new you need a authorisation for a moderator now.I needed one for my .177 with a built in moderater.Aslong as you can justify a reason for needing a moderator the authorisation should be straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Remmy wrote: »
    Aslong as you can justify a reason for needing a moderator the authorisation should be straight forward.
    In an ideal world, yes. Not always the case though :).

heres a stupid one for you.........

when they say restricted do they mean that

a) there is no way you can have one ever.........

or

b) you can have one once you fit certain criteria and check certain boxes and have good reason to own one??

b, you can but there better be a very very good reason when you apply and no other caliber will do.
    I rang my local dealer he got it today (Letter) pity about centerfire 22 from what I read its 22 rimfire silencers not restricted. Looks like they are now using the word rimfire with 22. At least its out now (list) no more second guessing. Dealer also said monitored alarms is becoming the new hobby horse (See other thread)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I understand that this is a seismic event in the shooting community and as such is obviously the sort of thing we want to support the discussion of. Please keep this focused on the guns and the laws. Personally issues are not to be aired here, just the facts ma'am...

Thanks,
    DeV.
    ps: This thread could do with some sources too to ensure you are discussing the truth without anyone's filter being applied...

foxhunter wrote: »
    The actual wording is "Essentially all pistols (bar Olympic pistols) ,rifles greater than .308 calibre and shotguns holding more than three cartridges will be regarded as restricted."
    Applications for restricted firearms will have to be made to the applicant's Chief Superintendant.

i have a 22 semi auto pistol coming in to the country as we speak, am i going to get hassle over this????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

i have a 22 semi auto pistol coming in to the country as we speak, am i going to get hassle over this????

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If it's coming into the country now, you have the licence for it already, no? In which case, you're okay until renewal time in August, by which time we'll know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Think Ivan might have a bit of hastle getting a 50cal with mod,night vision and folding stock with the new list:D

Kramer wrote: »
    In an ideal world, yes. Not always the case though :).

yeah very true!I'm thinking of getting a a10 for the .243 i'll let ya know how I get on.Can't forsee it being any major shakes.When's this legislation going to be all done and dusted?,seems like it's been dragging on for so long.:rolleyes:

Think Ivan might have a bit of hastle getting a 50cal with mod,night vision and folding stock with the new list:D
    If that list is accurate, then xbows must be restricted as well.

The DoJ have obviously been reading Ivan's posts :eek:

Remmy wrote: »
    yeah very true!I'm thinking of getting a a10 for the .243 i'll let ya know how I get on.Can't forsee it being any major shakes.When's this legislation going to be all done and dusted?,seems like it's been dragging on for so long.:rolleyes:
    If it's out with the dealers, then it must have been signed by the Minister which means it's now law.

Ah great.I suppose the next thing is how long it'l take to be implemented by the Gardai.I'm happy enough with it could have gone alot worse on the rifles end of things.Whats everyone else's opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think the important thing is not so much what's on or off the list (important though it is), but rather what the implications of being on the list are/will be; and those we won't know for some time yet.

(Personally, I remain as pessimistic on this as I've always been, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong)

• Advertisement

Well, I haven't seen any entries in Iris Oifigiúil mentioning an SI for it. Maybe it's not law yet and the list sent to dealers is a "heads up" of some sorts? Then again, maybe it's in today's issue of Iris Oifigiúil which isn't on the web yet.

Cavan shooter: Do you know if your local dealer get that letter directly from the DoJ or via some other body (Gardai/FCP/ICABS (:D)/etc.)?

From my popint of view, I think it's a sensible approach to have an unrestricted list rather than a restricted one. It's far simpler to understand and less likely for there to be ambiguities which is what has bedevilled the shooting community for decades.

I agree with Sparks that what restricted actually means will require a wait and see approach. Being a glass half full kind of person, I'm hopeful that it won't be too onerous.

It's good to see that the centrefires up to .308 are not restricted. That should put an end to the nonsense about .223's that we've been hearing about lately.

I'd like to see the final document published before I make any further comment, but on balance it seems better than originally expected.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Well, I haven't seen any entries in Iris Oifigiúil mentioning an SI for it. Maybe it's not law yet and the list sent to dealers is a "heads up" of some sorts? Then again, maybe it's in today's issue of Iris Oifigiúil which isn't on the web yet.

Cavan shooter: Do you know if your local dealer get that letter directly from the DoJ or via some other body (Gardai/FCP/ICABS (:D)/etc.)?
    Stuff that gets signed in sometines takes up to three weeks to appear in Iris. If you look at the last issue (Feb 12th) there was an SI published that was signed on Jan 25th

rrpc wrote: »
    Stuff that gets signed in sometines takes up to three weeks to appear in Iris. If you look at the last issue (Feb 12th) there was an SI published that was signed on Jan 25th

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

So a .303 is as easy to get as a .22 now? keeping in mind you are a range member or have a deer permit. :D:D

Its going to be interesting to see how the Gardi deal with restricted items. Will it be the same old line from them "sure will a .22 pistol not do yea instead of that big dirty harry yoke yer after?"

When I applied for my pistol I was told 9mm is not an olympic cal. Told the garda I did not intend going to the olympics I just want to use it on the range to which I got a face something like this:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

is a 303 not in actual fact .310 inches?

I won't be able to get hold of it untill Monday evening. The document I saw was the Legislation which ran to 2 pages essential

interpretation and definitions, then it listed what was not restricted under firearms and then dealt with calibers. A covering letter sumarized the main parts covering letter from DOJ

I understand De Vores comment but I couldn't keep this to myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello all
    i have a mate of mine who just bought a glock 9mm last week. he is in the Thpmastown/Graignamanagh district of Kilkenny. does this mean that his licence will not be issued??
    Also what about pistols that are allready out there will there licences not be renewed next year...

Restricted doesn't mean banned Straight out of CJA in relation to restricted

Any person wishing to own, use or carry such a firearm
    must apply to the Garda Commissioner, rather than their local
    Garda Superintendent, for a firearms certificate for it.

He will be very very busy, or You will probabally see chief super getting involved. Gardai will do 1 of two things:

1. Once FAC expires re apply via restricted route
    2. Draw line in the sand and from this day on anyone who applies...... (thats not going to happen is it???)

The Legislation is now in place, how will it be applied is the next great mystery,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

even with this list does anyone still feel everything is just still vague as hell?

Advertisement