Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does hair colour effect how people treat you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Ooh, my tongue hurts because I'm biting it so hard :|

Hair colour doesn't matter. I've had two hair colours - blonde and brown, and haven't been treated in any way differently with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

bronte wrote: »
    Aw thanks! It's a cool colour! you really can do anything with it.
    Maybe the experiences with guys have made me a bit wary, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing! :p

It's probably lucky I don't have your colour hair, I'd end up a different colour every week just because I could :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Kazobel perhaps it was an oversight but maybe less of the "we", unless its the royal we and theres something you havent told us. I for one dont like being spoken for.

I have blonde hair and I dont think I have ever been beeped at by a passing car with a hat on but I dunno if thats enough to draw conclusions from. My old boss constantly referred to me as "the blonde". Dunno if she would have called me "the brunette" if that was my hair colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Peared wrote: »
    Kazobel perhaps it was an oversight but maybe less of the "we", unless its the royal we and theres something you havent told us. I for one dont like being spoken for.

+1

I don't like this "we" business, either.

OK sorry girls, guys generally talk in a "we" capacity as in most men in general so I was just saying "we" as in most girls in general. Won't do it again. The "we" part has been edited out.

as an aside I don't (and probably never will) know either of you in real life, the "we" was a generalisation, I think it's really pedantic of you to take something so general and assume it applies specifically to me talking about or for you but as I said in my OP I'm not getting into this crap and having a thread ruined, I made a fau pas and fixed it.

• Advertisement

Kazobel wrote: »
    we don't think like that.

Judging from the what you do thread most Ladies in the Lounge are science heads in one way or another.

I'm naturally a foxy shade of red. So as my most prominent feature, my hair colour has a big impact on peoples impression of me. I had a short dalliance as a convincing brunette. It didn't change peoples attitude towards me but alot of gingerist people I had known for a long time suddenly noticed my face had features! and I got alot more attention from men.
    It wasn't as useful though, you have a certain license to put yourself in troublesome situations and get away with it as a redhead. You are also always remembered.

OK sorry girls, guys generally talk in a "we" capacity as in most men in general so I was just saying "we" as in most girls in general. Won't do it again. The "we" part has been edited out.

as an aside I don't (and probably never will) know either of you in real life, the "we" was a generalisation, I think it's really pedantic of you to take something so general and assume it applies specifically to me talking about or for you but as I said in my OP I'm not getting into this crap and having a thread ruined, I made a fau pas and fixed it.

I was in no way trying to ruin a thread. I made a short comment with a minor suggestion.

The original version of that post implied that you were speaking for girls in general or the LL. Using the word "we" suggests this. I cannot think of another meaning for the word we. I, therefore am part of we and do not wish to be spoken for.

Its quite simple. There was no malice or argument in my post, just a suggestion. I can live with being called pedantic.

On topic, am I the only blonde that would love black hair but would look like a witch with it?

I was in no way trying to ruin a thread. I made a short comment with a minor suggestion.

The original version of that post implied that you were speaking for girls in general or the LL. Using the word "we" suggests this. I cannot think of another meaning for the word we. I, therefore am part of we and do not wish to be spoken for.

Its quite simple. There was no malice or argument in my post, just a suggestion. I can live with being called pedantic.

Whatever, I don't care, I'm not getting into it, it's not on topic so start a feedback thread about it, I don't look there so won't really give a toss.
    On topic, am I the only blonde that would love black hair but would look like a witch with it?

how do you know you'll look like a witch?

Kazobel seriously, you're looking for a row where there isnt one. You are seeing an attack where there is none. No need for being defensive with all the "couldnt give a toss stuff". Im not the enemy.

Re the gruaig.. I had a black wig for Halloween and I looked like a witch. I kinda liked it actually but wouldnt commit to it full time. My skin looked whiter than white. Its a very definite "look". I did the goth thing years ago, although with white hair, not black.

Anybody see the pics of Lily Allen last week with really dark lipstick? She can really carry off the black hair thing, I thought she looked stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've never found my hair colour has had much impact on public perception of me - except maybe the pink/magenta days. I did find myself more prone to silly comments when I had very light brown hair with blonde highlights, but that could also have been due to my diet at the time - yes, I know how stupid that sounds!

• Advertisement

Kazobel seriously, you're looking for a row where there isnt one. You are seeing an attack where there is none. No need for being defensive with all the "couldnt give a toss stuff". Im not the enemy.

Look I just said I don't care, you's took the thread off topic not me so I dismissed you just accept it and move on because this "getting in the last word" crap is getting really old.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Everyone, back on topic.

Robbo raised an interesting point earlier.

Does the colour of our hair affect our behaviour? I'd be interested to see if my hair was dyed a certain colour, and I didn't know what colour it was dyed, would people treat me differently? Or are they only responding to a change in our behaviour due to a different hair colour.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I've never found my hair colour has had much impact on public perception of me - except maybe the pink/magenta days. I did find myself more prone to silly comments when I had very light brown hair with blonde highlights, but that could also have been due to my diet at the time - yes, I know how stupid that sounds!

Was that making silly comments yourself or recieving them from others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh making them myself. Maybe it was a subconscious thing?

I have cousins to "advise" me on whether my hair colour suits me or not though, whether the advice is invited or not. Who needs confidence when you have family, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

In honesty I tend to find girls with hair colour which is not possible naturally (e.g. pink, green, blue, purple, highighter red/orange etc...) more attractive than normal. I know why this is the case, but to go into it would just be a disturbing insight to a FUBAR mind.:(

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Oh making them myself. Maybe it was a subconscious thing?

I have cousins to "advise" me on whether my hair colour suits me or not though, whether the advice is invited or not. Who needs confidence when you have family, eh?

Oh don't worry about them, all my relatives tell me I still look male even though I know I don't, they do crap like that to boost their egos and one way is to put down the person they are jealous of, if anything yours are the same, families are like that, they need to feel superiour and need to know their son/daughter is doing better than their sisters'/brothers' son/daughter, it's not ego it just family things

farohar wrote: »
    In honesty I tend to find girls with hair colour which is not possible naturally (e.g. pink, green, blue, purple, highighter red/orange etc...) more attractive than normal. I know why this is the case, but to go into it would just be a disturbing insight to a FUBAR mind.:(

It's not abnormal, any girl that has gone for a not normal colour will tell you that, guy's go wild for it, personally I blame the original Star Trek, every guy wanted to be kirk banging all the girls with blue skin and blue hair.

Am I close to why? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Re the gruaig.. I had a black wig for Halloween and I looked like a witch. I kinda liked it actually but wouldnt commit to it full time. My skin looked whiter than white. Its a very definite "look". I did the goth thing years ago, although with white hair, not black.

Anybody see the pics of Lily Allen last week with really dark lipstick? She can really carry off the black hair thing, I thought she looked stunning.

i love black hair - mine's black at the moment (with a slight violet shine in the sun), but it took me years to get the balls to dye it, cos i used to get bullied a lot in school for being a 'goth', cos i didnt listen to mainstream music, so i'd alwyas feel really self conscious when i wore black clothes, convinced everyone was judging me, so there was no way in hell i'd have dyed my hair black back then. was terrified i'd look like a complete goth/witch, particularly due to the fact i've very pale skin.

i say go for it.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Everyone, back on topic.

Robbo raised an interesting point earlier.

Does the colour of our hair affect our behaviour? I'd be interested to see if my hair was dyed a certain colour, and I didn't know what colour it was dyed, would people treat me differently? Or are they only responding to a change in our behaviour due to a different hair colour.

Thats a good point, when my hair was all those different colours I'd like to think I still acted like me but I suppose it is possible I displayed traits that would fit in with the stereotype of any given hair colour. I don't think I did change how I acted other than maybe on a sub-concious level because passing is important to me and any big change will, for a time, effect my behaviour but only in a way where for a while I'll be quiet and shy I suppose but thats just until I adapt myself. I'm probably not the best person to answer that question because my behavour is subject to alot of outside influences, I don't think hair colour would be at the top of that list because no matter the hair colour I'm constantly assessing how I look (my face), how I speak, how I move so I wouldn't have the time to add "how does my hair look" to the list :) maybe some of the girls posting have a different opinion. As an aside it's begining to seem from reading some of the replies that going darker gives girls more confidence, I might be wrong but so far everyone that went darker seems to see it as a positive move so there must be something in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Kazobel wrote:
    I'm male to female pre-op Transsexual but I identify and live as female JustCoz, It was the total opposite for me, when I went light brown I got alot more attention but I think the problem was it was a really bright blonde and I was just to pale to pull it off and the style didn't really suit me either. Did people treat you differently in just normal interactions (work etc) when you went brown?

I was in college at the time and I think alot of people who'd known be for a long time thought it didn't suit me because I'd always had blonde hair, but then again it could have made me feel less confident and maybe that effected my judgment too. I went to UCD and I suppose I was sick of being another blonde in a sea of blonde heads, even though my hair was natural

• Advertisement

JustCoz wrote: »
    I was in college at the time and I think alot of people who'd known be for a long time thought it didn't suit me because I'd always had blonde hair, but then again it could have made me feel less confident and maybe that effected my judgment too. I went to UCD and I suppose I was sick of being another blonde in a sea of blonde heads, even though my hair was natural

I can totally relate to that, alot of TS when they first go full time decide to go blonde no matter the colour of their natural hair and no matter their age and they just look silly especially the ones that are in their 50's all of a sudden sporting a wig with redicliously unbelieveable full long locks of blonde hair but they'll also act in that bimboish way too like they're trying to go back to when they were 14 or something so I was happy to stay my natural black around them all because to be honest I was just embarrassed for them. I've only really started to experiment with the colour since I've moved away from the TS community because I feel confident now that I'm only doing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

personally I blame the original Star Trek, every guy wanted to be kirk banging all the girls with blue skin and blue hair.

Am I close to why? :D

Unfortunately not.:(
    At least that'd be no worse than the princess leah (or however it's spelled, not a fan myself) thing guys seem to have from the Star Wars films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've had my hair in a few different colours and varying lengths but I never noticed a change in how people treat me. I suppose I meet varying types of people all the time, so it's hard to judge it really.

Advertisement