Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is PC gaming in "disarray"?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 5:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Gamesindustry.biz has an interisting comment article by Rob Fahey, the site's former editor and a former mod of this board, which links in with a few threads hear lately on PC gaming...

Epic says it's in "disarray" - but is the PC market really on rocky ground?

...Beyond the main point of PC gaming being in transition rather then disarray, note that Epic - as well as other old PC developers too - are being swayed to consoles by business partnerships rather then creative decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wasn't 2007 one of the best years in ages for PC games? Perhaps its in disarray for Epic because UT3 was bloody sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I can really see the mods creating a "PC gaming is dieing MEGA MERGE"... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

pc gaming will always do less sales then consoles - there's just more console gamers out there.

but pc gaming isn't in "disarray". epic failed with UT3 by not making the game they promised, cutting out a lot of fans with hardware demands that might have stretched budgets too far as well as not using digital distribution. nearly all of the games i bought last year i got over steam.

hell i've bought a lot of games over PSN in the last year too.

as for "business partnerships"... well epic, like all other games companies, are companies first and creative studios second. harsh statement, but true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Very good article.
    Sounds like Epic smarting that UT3 was ****e more than anything else.
    A bad workman always blames his tools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Meh - Epics been focused on the console market for years, just churning out PC ports of its console/vehicle shooters. UT3 demo just promised more of the same ****e. Ive not rated a single Epic game since UT tbh so no loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement