Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

putting a price on a business

• 15-02-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi

Is a quick quide to the price of a business Total Assets less total Liabilities?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

price of a business? u mean valuing a business for sale? there are many approach for business valuation for e.g. assets based, future cash flow, etc.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The worth of a business for sale is generally seven times its last reported profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The worth of a business for sale is generally seven times its last reported profit.

What if the business has a large amount of assests but not so much profits/cashflow?

I know you said "generally" but it seems like a very limited use. Could be good as a starting point tho...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

fair value of assets, less liabilities, plus discounted future profits?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

What about taking Goodwill into account

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

pa daly wrote: »
    What about taking Goodwill into account

It should be included in total assets as an intangible. Very hard to subjectively measure before the sale tho. And very volatile too I would imagine.

I wonder how much of a need there is to do that tho if you're taking into a account future discounted profits?

Anyone care to shed some light?

Advertisement