Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards changed your life in a significant way??

Options
  • 15-02-2008 6:10pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're looking for stories (either posted here or PM'ed) of people who have had the course of their lives altered in some way by Boards... either in a small or a big way.

I will be on Newstalk on Monday at 11am along with a bunch of other people shooting the breeze about Boards 10th anniversary and how it has changed things.

So, has Boards made a difference in your life?

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Probably less productive in work and college but I'm not sure that's what you are after :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Productivity in work is no more as a result :eek::eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rather hoping for the "I met my husband/partner" or "I changed my job/emigrated/learned guitar" or something like that :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I have no stories but I'll double my contribution to the Santa Strike Force next Christmas if you talk about a LOLcat on national radio.

Go on ... you know you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Without boards, I would never have any reason to look up the answers to other people's questions.

The amount of random tidbits I've managed to pick up on a wide range of topics is quite scary sometimes. The most notable being information on motoring, law and employment. Stuff that I probably wouldn't have a clue about had I not been on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Drift wrote: »
    I have no stories but I'll double my contribution to the Santa Strike Force next Christmas if you talk about a LOLcat on national radio.

Go on ... you know you want to!

Do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Boards keeps me in touch with life back in Ireland when I am abroad. There were a lot of PI posts regarding online relationships as well that I used to give advice on as I went through the whole online dating (not through boards) and came out happy so I would hope it helped at least one person.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I get a chance I will :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, Boards got me the job I'm in now. Dunno if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm a broken man from the abuse I get in the Thunderdome.

My self esteem is at an all time low , and sometimes I think of ending it all.

This ,in my opinion ,is all due to Boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Boards has got me a good few jobs working in some Moderators houses.

(must steal secrets)

Oh yeah. I live with two other boardsies.

Wouldnt be that way if there was no boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

feylya wrote: »
    Well, Boards got me the job I'm in now. Dunno if that counts.
    Lap dancing is something that DeV may find difficult to discuss on air :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Been thinking about this.

There's no one way in which boards.ie has significantly changed my life, as such. What I've found is that boards.ie has become a significant part of my life, for various reasons.

I've made quite a few friends here that I meet in real life as often as I can. I'm talking about good friends, the kind that bend over backwards to do you a favour, or are just there when you need someone to vent at. (When I'm talking to non-boards.ies, I refer to these as my "imaginary friends" - like last Halloween, I told people I was going to Dublin to go drinking with my imaginary friends :))

I look for answers to questions here, and I try to answer other people's questions. I check in several times a day. It's a source for news, for gossip, for opinion and analysis, for entertainment and infighting, for love and hate.

It's a microcosm of life on so many levels. And I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Boards is probably a large part of the reason I'm studying in UL at the minute. Both in choosing the course and for the different little helpful things during my LC on the LC board.

Then again, Boards is probably a large part of the reason I only go to half my lectures in Uni :p

Edit: Is it Brenda Powers show or Sean Moncrieffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its the likes of this thread that makes Boards the first site I check whenever I'm on the interweb; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226389&highlight=Nice

There are hundreds more like it, but that thread just summed up boards for me; someone taking the time to give such a detailed answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lets see, I was unhappy with the life I had and the people I considered friends.

I met a group of people on boards who had a good interest in the same things as me(CSS mainly), I started to meet up with them. During this I stumbled across the tech forum's. 2 years later I'm a second level support technician in a Prestigious company, currently looking for a junior third level role and living with some people I had met through/because of boards.ie. That and I learned the value of LOL cat pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've aged horribly since I started modding soccer. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I've aged horribly since I started modding soccer. Does that count?
    That's just because you're old PSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Amz wrote: »
    That's just because you're old PSI.
    What are you basing that on? :p

Your age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It turned me gay! ;)

If one does recall when a certain young and devilishly handsome Azezil did sign up to boards he maintained he was straight for about 2 years, all the while (and for years before) debating his sexuality but to afraid to consider he might love the cock, it was through chatting to people on this website that I was finally able to find my true self and became this sexual man loving beast you see before you today ;)

So, without boards I fear I might still be a closeted gay, too afraid to venture out for that first kiss on faithful night back in 2003 :)

I'll never forget it either az ...

It was good of you to wear a strap on that night my love :')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Gah, I read the thread title and went "that's crap, it's only a website ffs!" and then realised I kinda met my boyfriend here (and subsequently have moved to a different country - with him, not to get away from him) :o I mean, Cork is a small place and we had mutual friends so we probably would have met anyway but I think boards probably faciliated the whole thing.
    So yeah, while boards didn't exactly change my life it has probably contributed to me being where I am now in some way :)

...also it introduced me to lolcats, which is far more important than any of the ****e above :D

azezil wrote: »
    It was good of you to wear a strap on that night my love :')
    *sigh*

God bless bargain alerts ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A wife, a kid and the mortgage soon followed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Met some really cool people (and Az).

I was the most special of all right!!?

Right!?

:(

Nesf... you met your wife through boards?

DeV.

• Advertisement

Heyyy!
    My stories much more interesting!

Advertisement