Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards changed your life in a significant way??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cson wrote: »
    Edit: Is it Brenda Powers show or Sean Moncrieffs?

Neither its Orla Barry or as we like to say on the radio forum LIFE! with Orla Barry 11 - 12.30

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DeVore wrote: »
    Nesf... you met your wife through boards?

DeV.

Yes, simu is my partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I am the Mammy of a boards baby who was 2 last Monday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Has boards changed my life significantly.

I was a child (16) when I first joined boards.ie and its been the single consistent thing in my life in the last 7 years. Its thought me a huge amount about human nature and how to interact with people. I've met literally hundreds of people off the forum over the years and they have helped shape me into the person I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Boston wrote: »

I was a child (16) when I first joined boards.ie and its been the single consistent thing in my life in the last 7 years. Its thought me a huge amount about human nature and how to interact with people. I've met literally hundreds of people off the forum over the years and they have helped shape me into the person I am today.
    Oh god, we're so sorry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Warning, might not be the best example having met Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

On and off for several years.

The only thing i can say boards gave me is less time to focus on real life work and more time wanting to help others with their problems..

Its a good system as nearly anything goes and you will always find one person in the same jam.

I wouldnt agree it has changed my character in the slightest, I refuse to let what others whom i do not know say get to me. I evaluate, reattribute and move on with what i'm doing..

I'm actually sorry to hear about you Boston, for your sake i hope boards see's a 20th annivers :) You remind me of a wow user who lost his life when blizzard banned him. hehe

azezil : I'm far far less angry at the world now then I was then. That may be on account of testosterone leveling off though.

krazy_8s : I'm lovely really, model citizen of the republic.

St0n3d : It's funny you thinking I've a hollow life considering I've achieved a huge amount in the last few years. I would feel a loss it boards suddenly died as some of the people who have physically helped me along the way I've met through boards. Words of advice said at the right time to a person can change the entire path of their life.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair Boston seems to have a strong character and sense of who he is, if anything he has mellowed as a result of being exposed to the great unwashed here :)

So, back on topic then, still looking for good stories for Monday. Definitely using Nesf and Embee's sprog-producing ones :)

DeV.

What about that thread on PI with a title like "nearly dropped myself onto the tracks". The guy posts updates every now and again about how hes life is going these days. I think that thread really changed his life direction.

• Advertisement

What about that thread on PI with a title like "nearly dropped myself onto the tracks". The guy posts updates every now and again about how hes life is going these days. I think that thread really changed his life direction.

Aye, that is a great thread to illustrate the power of boards and its members. There were people on that thread who typed up lengthy posts to this guy, just to help him, without knowing him. Just wanting to help your fellow man by listening - amazing. With the encouragement of the posters in PI, that guy (afaik) has sought help from his GP and is on anti-depressants and is trying very hard to get better. That thread makes me proud of boards :)

St0n3d : It's funny you thinking I've a hollow life considering I've achieved a huge amount in the last few years. I would feel a loss it boards suddenly died as some of the people who have physically helped me along the way I've met through boards. Words of advice said at the right time to a person can change the entire path of their life.

Hehe i wasn't implying your life depended on it, I can relate that some online friends are important as its nice to be able to talk to someone without any relationship with them..

I was merly pointing out that although you feel boards has changed your life, it was infact the people you met while on boards which have done so.

as for words of advice at the right time, I don't agree with that saying for one reason! It may be true for some of the population but i've met many people who base their path in llife solely on destiny, faith or a religion.

words are mere way of expressing emotion, these are strong at certain times which can alter the untrained mind. So i cant agree that it can change their entire path in life as it can only do so if you allow it to.. Can you see where im coming from at all?

anywhos no worries on it Back to the others who have a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

DeVore wrote: »
    Definitely using Nesf and Embee's sprog-producing ones :)

Boards.ie: getting people pregnant...for 10 years! :D
    You guys are almost as good as IVF.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Well, thanks to boards I'm engaged and we're planning to wed in the summer of 2010.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Can someone post a link to that PI thread? I have to run out the door... :(

DeV.

Well, thanks to boards I'm engaged and we're planning to wed in the summer of 2010.

Oo gratz. Can you tell us more? :D You hooked up on forums?

Well yea, boards is only a collection of people. I'm not implying the html or php directly did anything, nor do I suggest that if you post here long enough it will have a serious life changing effect on you. As for the rest, either you believe other people can influence the path of your life or you don't. There been a few occasions where my life has taken a certain direction, (and maybe it would have regardless) which I discussed and got help from people on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

embee wrote: »
    I wonder what the likelyhood is of people hearing that boardsies have met husbands, wives and had babies during the course of the slot on Newstalk and there being a huge influx of new members who think it's a dating site?

lol.

St0n3d wrote: »

I wonder what the likelyhood is of people hearing that boardsies have met husbands, wives and had babies during the course of the slot on Newstalk and there being a huge influx of new members who think it's a dating site?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

St0n3d wrote: »
    We first met at a Board's Beers, though we'd seen each other's posts. We hooked up about 3/4 months later.

Not much else to tell really. We modded S&S together for awhile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Boards is definitely a great link to Ireland for emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Boards has given me the opportunity to do something I can't do in the real world - communicate in Irish on a daily basis in Teach na nGealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I met my wife on boards.ie.
    I think we may have been the first Boards.ie wedding, but not sure.

Like Ruu, i use boards.ie as a good source of news for whats happening in ireland as well.
    And i also truely believe that boards.ie is amazing medium for social interaction. All the lol cats and flaming aside, you can actually see people develop as people, learn tolerance, figure out the process of thinking and logical thought process. OK, so thats a little deep of psych like, but it really does make me smile when you see someone come on here and rant and rave, and slowly over time, they suddenly become marvelous contributors to this site, and hopefully in real life too.
    I also think this site is fabulous because it allows people to get real opinions and real views on pretty much anything.
    instead of getting views from magazines etc, people are given the option to ask questions, get a bunch of answers, and make up their own mind. the informative nature of this site, as far as im concerned, is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well it probably has changed my life but not in any groundbreaking life changing experiences kind of way. I suppose the main way is allowing me to have friends from a wider spectrum of backgrounds than I would have without it.

I can think of several people I class as good friends that I would have never known without boards.

I took up photography as a hobby and the photography forum has provided oddles of advice, tips, motivation and inspiration to hone my talent and has helped me grow with my photography.

Airsoft is the latest hobby I have taken up since last summer and that is directly because of boards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It introduced me to the wonders of lesbian po.rn.

Oh wait, no it didn't.

Ehhh... itt.... ehh...

Phew..

Ummmmmmmmm....

Ahhhhhhhhh......

It......

Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Before I joined boards I was a joyous content teenager, 8 months in, I developed clinical depression.

Seriously though, I firmly believe Boards helped me achieve an A, in English for the Leaving Cert. I learned it was cool to spell correctly, or at least to the best of your ability.

Dev, some guy posted in the Fitness forum a while back, saying that if it wasn't for the Fitness Forum, he could never have achieved his goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It has changed my life in that it's a daily part of it. I don't post on any other forum at all, so were I too lose boards I'd be loosing a great community and a fabulous source of information. I'm almost positive that were boards not here I wouldn't be posting elsewhere.
    You might remember I posted a while back in feedback about the great help I received from another community member who was able to help me with my PSP. Had boards not been here I probably wouldn't have been able to get my problem sorted out.
    It's an amazing treasure throve of information. I buy movies, games, electronics frequently and by coming here it makes me a much more informed consumer and helps me find the best deals and helps me resolve any issues I may have.

Here's a good one for you Dev. I frequently use adverts and I sold something to a chap on there some time ago and have dealt with him on a few occasions since. He's a decent sort of chap and I was recently able to help him get a job with the company I work for which wouldn't have happened had it not been for adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I met my partner on boards, we pm'd a little and then i went over to wales to meet him,and 1yr and 5 months later he has moved over to ireland and we are living together. Along with another boardsies!

Also through boards i found out how much of a wonderous internets stud muffin my brother is!

• Advertisement

Jules wrote: »
    Also through boards i found out how much of a wonderous internets stud muffin my brother is!

You have another brother apart from 6th?

Advertisement