Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards changed your life in a significant way??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Yeah he is really cool, he is a mixture of ross kemp and.... holy crap i just realised my brothers are grant and phil mitchell..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Drift wrote: »
    I have no stories but I'll double my contribution to the Santa Strike Force next Christmas if you talk about a LOLcat on national radio.

Go on ... you know you want to!
    DeV, use the words "LOLcat" and "YORE MA" in a normal sentence on air!

I have had several relationships with wimmin from boards but I don't want my wife finding out so don't mention it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yeah actually now thati think of it, i've gone on dates with two girls i met thanks to this place - one of which lasted for 3 months.

my current girlfriend does not approve of the amount of time i spend on here, but i think she's getting used to it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

We first met at a Board's Beers, though we'd seen each other's posts. We hooked up about 3/4 months later.

Not much else to tell really. We modded S&S together for awhile. :)

Aww :D

Gratz! +1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

çrash_000 wrote: »
    yeah actually now thati think of it, i've gone on dates with two girls i met thanks to this place - one of which lasted for 3 months.

Jesus that was one long date. Did you talk alot or something :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Kidnapping does not constitute a date

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I started arranging trips for the paranormal forum a couple of months after joing, did those for a couple of years and a close little group came out of it. We have filmed a TV pilot and are organising a major paranormal convention this year.

However all of that is tainted by the fact that in a resent thread I was accused of everythign from sexual assult (Azezil!) to having Maddie in my basement .... I haven't even got a basement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Quite long winded this one:

I joined Boards purely looking for advice on how to add BBC channels to my Sky digibox in 2003.....and then it just unwravelled from there.

Started joining the Television boards, and chatted for loads of programs. I became more serious on it when I started the Television awards board, of which I adjourned it for the first 2 years, but last year I unfortunately could not. I then also became a h-mod for Big brother, which led me to find some very quirky fans of Big Brother.

Also, I campaigned for the Junior Cert board, of which my exam year was the 1st year we could use it. It came in handy when I wanted to discuss studying or post-exam aftermath, but really compared to the Leaving, it was all childish when I look back on it. The Leaving Cert board really helped me get through it, as I really was anxious during it, especially with Business......turned out I'd only get a D2 in it: o

But the most memorable moment of Boards for me was 5:55 AM, Mon 20th August 2007: CAO Acceptance day. Me & about 25/30 Lc'ers woke up together to logon onto the CAO to get our courses. I was the minority and didn't get any of my top 3, instead getting my number 5: Arts in NUIM. I was dissapointed for a bit, but by getting some encouragement from fellow boardsies, I took the course and I think it's one of the best things I've done.:)

Finally, what I've never told anyone else here on boards (except for Roe) is that I'm gay. I posted anonymously a few times on the LGB board, and the guys there helped me with a few things and now I'm out, proud and 1st Year Rep for the GLB society in NUIM!

Thats how Boards has shaped my life OR How my life has shaped Boards.....Thanks for all the memories guys, and hoping to be logged on moreso in the future, after a year of many gaps;)

I've been trying to think of specific circumstances when boards.ie changed something in my life significantly, and unfortunately there isn't one case I can think of. However, in a general sense, I'm happy with the type of person I've become since I joined.

One other thing is that I found whenever I had a question (be it on engineering, college, or anything) there was always someone around who would answer it quite quickly, sometimes in extraordinary detail.
    6th wrote: »
    However all of that is tainted by the fact that in a resent thread I was accused of everythign from sexual assult (Azezil!) to having Maddie in my basement .... I haven't even got a basement!

Ah, but you do have Maddie? No denial there yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Myth wrote: »
    Ah, but you do have Maddie? No denial there yet :)
    I don't have a basement ... that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I lived with nesfs wife due to boards. :P
    I moderate the same forum as my girlfriend, which is odd.
    I have gotten books etc given to me, things returned to me; mp3 player and more.
    Learned a lot of things, like seamus, which makes you want to help people with their techie problems too.
    Met some good friends. Got over insomnia, and a girl-friend that I was in love with due to help from a boardsie through a thousand PM's. :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm up a couple of grand after some tax advice. There was a great thread in one of the business fora years ago. I'll do a bit of digging.

Edit/ Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891655
    Over 26,000 views, wonder how many people benefited from that?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a result of the BGRH Beers last night Boards is directly responsible for my hangover this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A while after I started posting, I suggested the photography forum do a meetup. We've been doing something at every chance for the last year at least - Have exhibited on Stephens Green, made some great friends from it, learnt a hell of a lot, and so on and so forth. I think we've made a great community from the Photography forum.

It's probably one of the main things that helped me choose FA Media as my degree. I'm working away now with my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Zaph wrote: »
    As a result of the BGRH Beers last night Boards is directly responsible for my hangover this morning.

Don't forget about last Sat either!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't forget about last Sat either!

True. Damn you Boards for all the pain you've caused me!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think the most important thing boards.ie has done for me is give me endless good advice. Even though I don't actually know anyone here in real life, I feel like I do. It's great when you want a broad spectrum of advice from unbiased people.

I think I've become a better cook since I started modding Food & Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Biggest success story for me would have to be Boardeaux, the boards.ie soccer team set up in mid 2006.

A lot of hard work went in to laying the foundations and credit must go to Des F for getting it off the ground. 20 months later and the team is thrieving and improving with every game. It was a massive honour for me to be the first ever captain of the team and I'd still be playing were it not for a move to the other side of the world.

I met some really top lads playing for the team and no doubt more have joined since. I definitely feel it's worthy of a mention.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have gotten books etc given to me, things returned to me; mp3 player and more.
    You forgot to mention you had your shirt stolen, then returned to you laundered and ironed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

When I first read this thread I thought nope nothing like that has ever happened to me... mentioned the thread to my mam who reminded me that actually it did!

I did my LC in 2004, got my 1st choice of Pharmacy in RCSI and was super excited but didn't know anyone else who had ever gone there... posted up a thread about it just in case and got talking to 2 people who were starting the same course as me! It was great, we met up a little while before college the first morning and the 3 of us were able to walk in together, making small talk and basically just not feeling alone! Myself and one of those girls in particular got on so well, I'm now in my final year and she's my best friend, I know that I've made a friend who I'll always be in touch with and who is always be there for me, thanks to boards really!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You forgot to mention you had your shirt stolen, then returned to you laundered and ironed.

Quite true, best thief ever! I'll gladly wait several months for clean clothes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've become quite a bit more tolerant of the views of others.
    Reading AH day in and day out, you see some really weird things. After a while, you just begin to accept that people have quirks that you would once have found quite strange, but now I just accept that everyone is different.
    I've learned not to judge people so quickly as a result of this.

It's not really majorly life changing, but it has had that slight efect on my life.

On a more narcissistic note, A thread I created did help others in a small way.
    I suffer from depression and agorophobia.
    I made a long and rambling post about this and got quite a few PM's from people who had read it and were in a similar situation, but felt they couldn't really turn to anyone for help.

My aim was to help remove the stigma attached to mental illnesses and I like to think that I helped in my own little way.

Oh yeah.
    The Mature and Non-Traditional Students forum has also inspired me to go to college later this year.
    Seeing people a fair bit older than my 32 years going to college and doing quite well out of it has made me realise that it's never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Met my boyf here and we live together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm up a couple of grand after some tax advice. There was a great thread in one of the business fora years ago. I'll do a bit of digging.

Edit/ Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891655
    Over 26,000 views, wonder how many people benefited from that?

I did - €1,500 euro :D Would never have known to do it if it wasn't for boards :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was going to post about how I met my girlfriend here, but with all this talk about weddings and boards babies, I think I'll go post on PI instead :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

a lot of people have be sucessful in joining the garda, psni and defense forces thanks to the extensive threads in these areas. There life changing things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I find the Parenting forum very useful. No matter what I experience, I always find someone else that has experienced the same and I feel better and reassured. It would be impossible to filter out people who've had the same experience as me in the real world!
    And I enjoy the craic on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Wow.

There are some really inspiring stories here. Really amazing. I knew of many already, but more of them were all new to me.

I feel like there's been some butterfly effect where an insignificant little gaming forum has resulted in something huge that has had a major impact on so many people's lives.

Thank-you to everyone. I am looking forward to hearing the radio segment on Monday (I am unsure now that I will be participating, but I don't need to be - your stories illustrate the real success of boards.ie better than any of us founders could ever enunciate).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Cloud wrote: »
    Wow.

There are some really inspiring stories here. Really amazing. I knew of many already, but more of them were all new to me.

I feel like there's been some butterfly effect where an insignificant little gaming forum has resulted in something huge that has had a major impact on so many people's lives.

Thank-you to everyone. I am looking forward to hearing the radio segment on Monday (I am unsure now that I will be participating, but I don't need to be - your stories illustrate the real success of boards.ie better than any of us founders could ever enunciate).
    Rather than reply to your e-mail, I'll just reply here. Old pc. One window bad. More than one window = crash. Still getting around to following the advice given by the folks on the Building and upgrading forum.
    I'm looking at it in the same way.

I met a girl on an internet forum once (long before I found boards) and it turned out to be a nightmare. It was basically one of the horror stories you generally hear about internet dating.

It's actually great to hear that quite a few people hear have hooked up, stayed together and even started families.
    The one boards beers that I got around to attending was a great night and I found most of the people there to be extremely friendly. There were one or two who didn't really want to talk to me, but that was due to misunderstandings which have since been cleared up.

The community feel is great.
    While I might not be a regular poster in the BGRH forum, I can see that quite a lot of the regulars there have become good friends. Considering the forum is less than a year old, that is quite an achievement in itself. Also, they voted me non BGRH poster of the year 2007. :)

Also, my typing and grammar has improved.
    I'm not much of a reader when it comes to books, but reading posts here has helped remind me of the grammar rules of the English language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

boards has an impact on my daily life, as well as a bigger picture. in the daily life, just keeping in touch with home (like ruu and WWM said), discussion about current affiars and odd snippets of news, lots and lots of interesting topics to read, discuss, think about and learn about.

but importantly, i've met a lot of good friends here. people i used to go out with eveyr week, have a few drinks, chat, have a laugh. there's people here who have been here when i needed a shoulder to cry on, and have helped me pick my head up and to make the best of my situation and deal with things. at the same time, i've been there for people too, and helped them to deal iwth their issues.

not to mention about a year ago now, i posted anonymously when my head was in a spin, after a year of an online romance, things were on the rocks, and i was just baout to let go of the relationship and i posted about that, and most people said to just let it go, i'd never even met him etc etc etc.. but one person said it could work, and to give it a go, that i'd never know how this one could have turned out... all i'd needed really was that one person to give me that nod of approval, and here i am now, living and working in nz, living with my b/f, and we're so happy together.

overall, the posters here are so helpful, and really do go the extra mile. from posting on threads, to tkaing the chat to msn and PM, to the boards beers nights, to the individual nights out with the various fora, this is a fantastic community, and one im proud to belong to.

Advertisement