Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards changed your life in a significant way??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Don't forget about last Sat either!
    Yep, Boards meant I lost, and had returned my brand new mp3 player!

Cheers again man.
    Faith wrote: »
    I think I've become a better cook since I started modding Food & Drink!
    Got a shed load of decent recepies from the Food and Drink forum, which I moderate too. I've definitely become a better cook because of it.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Biggest success story for me would have to be Boardeaux, the boards.ie soccer team set up in mid 2006.

A lot of hard work went in to laying the foundations and credit must go to Des F for getting it off the ground. 20 months later and the team is thrieving and improving with every game. It was a massive honour for me to be the first ever captain of the team and I'd still be playing were it not for a move to the other side of the world.

I met some really top lads playing for the team and no doubt more have joined since. I definitely feel it's worthy of a mention.
    Well thanks for that :)

I've already spoken to the people at Newstalk about the team, they called me on Friday :) They might have me on, but they'll definitely be mentioning it I think.

It's fantastic to be involved with the team, and to be the manager of course. I love doing it, I love seeing the lads going out there every week shouting "Gwan Boards" just before kick off.

There are, and were, some top, top lads on that team, and I'd count many of them as mates now. Each and every one of the people who have pulled on a Boardeaux jersey has had a direct impact on my emotional rollercoaster for the duration of the match each week. It'll be some feeling when we win our first trophy.

I don't and didn't really see it as "hard work", to be fair. The lads want to play ball, I just help them with that.
    Terry wrote: »
    The community feel is great.
    While I might not be a regular poster in the BGRH forum, I can see that quite a lot of the regulars there have become good friends. Considering the forum is less than a year old, that is quite an achievement in itself.

Ah yes, BGRH. Fantastic forum and I've met some really cool people through it, not least my girlfriend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sometimes we forget the impact this place has had on so many.

Should make for an interesting topic.

They could do an hour on it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

how long is it going to be? a halfhour?

it'll be on pretty late in the night over here, (11.45am irish time, right?), and i've work in the morning, but if it's only a halfhour ill sit up and listen to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DesF wrote: »
    Ah yes, BGRH. Fantastic forum and I've met some really cool people through it, not least my girlfriend. :)
    Screw you, buddy.
    You didn't vote for me.
    Thanks to Zaph for the public poll. :)
    5starpool, AlmightyCushion, dfx-, FlutterinBantam, Gillo, irishbird, patrickc, Robbo, smashey, watna, Zaph
    Thanks to those who did vote for me.

Sometimes we forget the impact this place has had on so many.

Should make for an interesting topic.

They could do an hour on it tbh.

They could do an hour a day for two weeks.
    Oh yeah, thanks for the DVD, the title of which will remain secret. :)

Not a bother :)

• Advertisement

how long is it going to be? a halfhour?

it'll be on pretty late in the night over here, (11.45am irish time, right?), and i've work in the morning, but if it's only a halfhour ill sit up and listen to it :)

I think it's starting at 11:20 now due to the volume of information they've received.

pacman.png

I couldn't find the smaller version of it <.<

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

serious? i dont wana miss this, sounds interesteing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

I guess its not the show to talk about the bad things that come from boards! few are far between granted, but there are still negative things that affect people as a result of boards.

On the plus side, loads of mates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

There are very, very few facets of my life that aren't in some way formed or shaped by or because of boards - thank you everyone =)

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    All joking aside, it was under your guidance that I posted that thread about my condition, which in turn led to several more people coming forward and talking openly about their own mental illnesses.

I'd also like to give kudos to JBoyle4eva for coming out on this thread.
    I meant to say it earlier, but something shiny keeps distracting me.

Yeah, you came out in real life, but some members here can be quite udgemental from behind their keyboards.

You pissed me off once. Not because of your sexual orientation, but because you banned me from the Big Brother forum.

Ok, you didn't really piss me off. I deserved the ban. I tend to forget that I'm not in AH when I post in other forums.
    Also, you were polite in giving the ban. A few mods could learn from your example.
    Anyway, I know you're fairly young (like some of the other mods) and Í have to say that you and the other young mods (I'm talking those in their teenage years, although you're probalby not a teenager any more) are quite intelligent and level headed and give me hope for the next generation of adults of tomorrow.

Reg, when I met you, you were less than impressed with me when I introduced myself.

I walked up to you outside the venue of the christmas '06 beers.
    I asked if this was the boards.ie nerd fest.
    It was tongue in cheek, but I tend to rub people up the wrong way when I first meet them.

I hope I've made a better impression over the past 14 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Don't remember a damn thing. I can't imagine being rude though!

You were quite polite.
    I was confrontational and rude.

I'm sure it was a minor issue, if an issue at all :)

Some others here could do with losing the negativity, though.

Happy thoughts people, this community deserves no less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well you are a nerd I imagine, could nerd kind be anything but? :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

DesF wrote: »
    Got a shed load of decent recepies from the Food and Drink forum

All this talk of recipes will really have to stop!

As has already been mentioned, BGRH has become a real community in a very short space of time. There are people there that are no longer just people I chat to on the internet, but are friends in the proper sense of the word. The forum started up while I was on extended sick leave from work, and chatting to the guys (and wimmins) there every day cheered me up and definitely helped keep me sane.

I also think the SSF deserves a special mention. It probably isn't life-changing for people, but what it does I'm sure brings a little happiness into the lives of both the kids who benefit from the donations and the people who help out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

wow, some cool stories on this thread. Looking forward to the radio show.

Zaph wrote: »
    I also think the SSF deserves a special mention. It probably isn't life-changing for people, but what it does I'm sure brings a little happiness into the lives of both the kids who benefit from the donations and the people who help out.

Absolutely. It was very rewarding to be involved in some small way this year, and the only way is up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Screw you, buddy.
    You didn't vote for me.
    Thanks to Zaph for the public poll. :)
    5starpool, AlmightyCushion, dfx-, FlutterinBantam, Gillo, irishbird, patrickc, Robbo, smashey, watna, Zaph
    Thanks to those who did vote for me.

:)
    I promise I'll vote for you next time, Terry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You can add me to the "met my boyfriend" pile.

Been together almost 3 years and have been living together for almost one year.

• Advertisement

Another boards couple got engaged only yesterday.

Did they use lolcats?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its on at 11am Monday now. Great to hear all these stories...

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Its on at 11am Monday now. Great to hear all these stories...

DeV.

Is Cloud still recording it, and then podcasting it? I won't be able to listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

orly? Who?

Mrs_Doyle and Connundrum.

not to mention about a year ago now, i posted anonymously when my head was in a spin, after a year of an online romance, things were on the rocks, and i was just baout to let go of the relationship and i posted about that, and most people said to just let it go, i'd never even met him etc etc etc.. but one person said it could work, and to give it a go, that i'd never know how this one could have turned out... all i'd needed really was that one person to give me that nod of approval, and here i am now, living and working in nz, living with my b/f, and we're so happy together.

overall, the posters here are so helpful, and really do go the extra mile. from posting on threads, to tkaing the chat to msn and PM, to the boards beers nights, to the individual nights out with the various fora, this is a fantastic community, and one im proud to belong to.

Ditto for me too as my now other half was in a relationship when I met him and everyone I knew told me to stay away ...8 months on and really very happy and he himself became a boardsie when I told him about it.

Boards has changed my thinking in which way I wanted to take my career also and considerably opened my eyes about a lot of aspects of my job.

Every day I learn something new from it and is a constant source of entertainment for me and I plan to stick around for a good while
    Also I've met some fun and interesting people in RL too whom I still chat to on IM :D

P.s Congrats to Mrs_Doyle and Connundrum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Mrs_Doyle and Connundrum.
    Did they actually meet through Boards though?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'd also like to give kudos to JBoyle4eva for coming out on this thread.
    I meant to say it earlier, but something shiny keeps distracting me.

Yeah, you came out in real life, but some members here can be quite udgemental from behind their keyboards.

You pissed me off once. Not because of your sexual orientation, but because you banned me from the Big Brother forum.

Ok, you didn't really piss me off. I deserved the ban. I tend to forget that I'm not in AH when I post in other forums.
    Also, you were polite in giving the ban. A few mods could learn from your example.
    Anyway, I know you're fairly young (like some of the other mods) and Í have to say that you and the other young mods (I'm talking those in their teenage years, although you're probalby not a teenager any more) are quite intelligent and level headed and give me hope for the next generation of adults of tomorrow.

Wow, thanks for that. I don't know why I took so long to come out here, but I've been out in my own life for a few months now and I just enever thought to say it here.

I can actually remember baning you, but not sure if it was ever unlifted or not. I'll take a look in a min.

But I'm 19, turning 20 in November so I am nearly over in my teen years :p And if anyone wants to learn how to abn someone politely, ask me :D

Advertisement