Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Boards changed your life in a significant way??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

rb_ie wrote: »
    Did they actually meet through Boards though?

Ah, I presumed they had. Still and all, they're members of the community that will be talking the long walk one of these days.

I'm tempted to poke you in the ribs and say you're next btw ;)

Nice input CSG. I too have met folk here that have become good friends, and to share in their successes is pretty cool too :)

You get the occasional person that turns out to be rather less than online interaction would suggest, but out of all the folk I've met, that has only happened once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No tear jerker stories from me but I've posted over seven thousand times here. No doubt it contributed to me failing my LC, repeating, failing college, dropping out and moving in with my sister to live in her garage.

Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jebubs

Some nice posts on this subject.

I have bounced around boards for awhile and aside from the educational value in a lot of areas, one example being PC knowledge and help on said subject when I asked, boards certainaly helped me develop a thinker skin :)

If I ever need help on most subjects boards is usually my first port of call. I have always considered boards like one huge interactive magazine covering most subject matters crossed with the entertainment "Soap" value of EastEnders and Cornation street. Possibly some brookside/hollyoaks thrown in.

As it is 10 years old a big thank you should go out to not only the Admins who made it possible but all the early mods who managed to do thier best to maintain the mayhem that was the yesteryear of the interweb (Pre Civility :) ) Shinji, Amp, Micro, Monty, WhiteWashMan, bonky and all the rest. I owe a lot to them as well as a lot of the earlier posters who made the place what it is today, entertaining and educational, Boston, Gordon, Bubbles, TwoSheds, Typedef. Winters, Par, Vac, kaids, Logic1, Dustaz, Corinthian and to be honest it's a long f'ing list. There are also a lot of others who have many posts but rarely "seen"

If it were not for that lot and the Admins I doubt I'd have hung around long enough to have met my partner on boards whom I have been with for neigh on 5 years, and I have had a great 5ish years with said lady. which was a hugely significant change in my life.

Still never going to sign up for the sheep like fluffy crap but best of luck with the next 10 and more. I look forward to seeing all the current posters becoming "grumpy stuck in their ways" contradictions of themselves while loosing my bollix playing poker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Oh yeah, I forgot I moved to Dublin because of people I met through boards who also set me up with my first job here before they'd even met me lol! :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think it would be easier to catalogue the ways Boards hasn't changed my life... I thought I could claim the screw being removed from knee this week as one event that wasnt, but I now remember that it was in there in the first place because of a few boardsies going on a snowboarding trip together to see another boardsie and sleep in his house :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ouch! best of luck with the op!

will this be saved as a podcast, for some of us who won be able to listen in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Boards has made me stop watching so much tv. (This may also be because my current apartment only has internet in my bedroom.)

I didn't meet my boyfriend (or anyone) through Boards, but I may have to become a slutty slut and rectify that now that I am newly single! (There may be a story there in ten more years with you can talk about on 'Nearly the End of Life with Orla Barry')

Also, Boards is making me go through the torture of listening to Orla Barry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'm tempted to poke you in the ribs and say you're next btw ;)

:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

so... recorded podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Wee snippets of achievements:
    I've managed to get at least one boardsie a job back home in Ireland (not that he couldn't have gotten one himself).
    I've given another boardsie a collection of recipes that I know he has been using to impress his "bird" recently.

Boards to me is just like my home town. A community where you have mates & know where to find them, know the tossers to steer clear of, there are places you like to frequent with like-minded souls (Food & Drink, BG&RH) & there are places that you avoid like the plague (Hip-Hop, Fitness).

Best of luck today DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think it's safe to say, given an audience of boardsies, that at least 20 copies of this recording will be available after the show :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Boards has added that extra je ne sais quoi for me.
    It has certainly introduced me to people from all walks of life I would otherwise never have met. Some of us meet up on a regular basis for dinner and drinks. It's always great fun.

No matter what the question, someone on Boards can answer it, and gladly will. That's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

thanks to the BGRH beers on Friday I now have a whole new group of wimmins to stalk.

Other then that hasn't really changed my life that much. Ok the fitness forum may have had a "small" impact on my life in that it has completely changed how I view food and has help me get quite far in achieving a body type that I never thought that I could achieve and alot of my life would now revolve some way around weight training. I have met some really good people off the board who I would consider really good friends and all in all I think I am a happier person because of it.

However my girlfriend on the other hand thinks I may have a problem, but I know I can quit anytime I want. I promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jsb wrote: »
    thanks to the BGRH beers on Friday I now have a whole new group of wimmins to stalk.
    :eek:

Stay away from mine please :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Terry wrote: »
    Oh yeah.
    The Mature and Non-Traditional Students forum has also inspired me to go to college later this year.
    Seeing people a fair bit older than my 32 years going to college and doing quite well out of it has made me realise that it's never too late.

Fair play to you Terry and I hope it goes well. That is exactly what I had in mind when I proposed the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Boards has added that extra je ne sais quoi for me.
    It has certainly introduced me to people from all walks of life I would otherwise never have met. Some of us meet up on a regular basis for dinner and drinks. It's always great fun.

Agreed, its helped me to think about lifecoaching and encourages me to keep going with my hobby/business.

I also used to be of the impression that i was somewhat isolated in my views and or weird. But no i realsie i am not alone in my "weirdness" and its the rest that are off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Only in that it has helped my search for bargains :D Bargain alerts forum is brilliant.
    The tesco 32" lcd tv for €399 Jarvis posted is still the best bargain i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So someone's going to record this yeah?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Listen online here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, there's this thing called work.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

oooh it's like waiting for Christmas day! :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bit late now but I met my bf of the last 2.5 years due to Boards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

news on atm. Listening to the radio for the first time in so long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stupid news!

C'mon already
    Listening to the radio for the first time in so long...

Ditto :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Me too, I usually avoid it like the plague. I hate radio DJs.

Boards has affected my life in a big way. Tom Dunne let me use his earphones to listen cos I left mine at home today!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Headphones? Multi-task?

edit - that woman on before the news was a classic case for the PI forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm on hold with them right now, I'll be on in ten minutes or so :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

woot!

Go Tom :v:

heh...a bet & Quake. Nice starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Uhm, too late for the radio show but ways boards has changed my life:

I bought my first car off another boardsie
    I've made a few real life friends at beers etc.
    Learned a hell of a lot over a wide range of topics
    Changed my outlook on food and health immeasurably - lost quite a few inches around the gut last year with the help of the fitness forum (only to put it back on in the last few months - I'll be back soon though guys!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

hiding sexuality from your GP, yay!
    Mr Tom is on.

Advertisement