Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDs or not CD? That is the question

Options
  • 15-02-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

Cause of various factors (listening to phantom all the time, other radio chanels on-line, addictively listening to non music podcasts, my CD player been broken for ages, listening to my old but substanial CD collection now up on my MP3 player etc) I have not bought music for more than a year?

So this may seem like a stupid questions, but are people still really buying CDs? Or is everyone downloading from itunes etc?

I got some vouchers so I am not sure if buying CDs is really a thing to do anymore!
    Is there anypoint to CDs or they RIP by the end of this year?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yep, got 4 or 5 cds just this week. I never download albums, the only music I download is live bootleg concerts.

Cds aren't going to RIP any time soon, hell, I even bought 3 lps this week along with those cds.

I'll take those vouchers if you don't want them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Downloading mainly. Might buy 5 CD's per year maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Though I have a substantial vinyl (remember that :eek: ) collection, these days I always buy cd's. I have never downloaded a song in my life. To me a lot of the pleasure is in reading the liner notes (it was even better with LP's). Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I wont see 40 again :D. All the same, judging by the amount of people, young and old, browsing cd's in "Tower" the other day they are far from obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I will only buy a CD if I passionately support the band and if it's impossible to fnd online. The last 3 I bought were all impossible to find for less than 25 on the shelf and impossible to download so they were CD wows. Couldnt see myself buying a CD in a shop for a while though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Irish bands are hard to find online...like republic of loos,,,,blizzards etc...i buy their cd;s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i was going to buy scouting for girls cd because i can't get many of their songs on mp3 rocket because its a mainly american used download thingy ha but i know i am gonna have some money left over on my 3v vocher after i buy clothes so i can download the album there for alot cheaper than having to buy the cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

CDs all the way, I buy about ten cds a month, usually more. I adore the ritual of putting it in the computer, listening to it while its being ripped and reading and looking at the artwork. Also, I like to have a hard copy of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Still cds for me. No broadband here but still think I'll keep buying cds. As last poster said, nice having hard copy. I don't really buy new albums so would rarely pay over a tenner for an album.
    Yeah it's also nice to have the artwork and liner notes.

Something cold about a large database of mp3s on a computer. Hard for someone to walk into your place and browse your collection.

Just got a credit card so if anyone knows a good website to buy cds off I'd appreciate suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's me still buying vinyl and i'm not old (well 21).

cd is not dead yet, hell vinyl isn't dead yet.

downloading sucks balls and while it may catch on it will never replace the quality from vinyl and cd's.

the main argument i have against downloading is all you're buying is digital air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Cremo wrote: »
    there's me still buying vinyl and i'm not old (well 21).

cd is not dead yet, hell vinyl isn't dead yet.

downloading sucks balls and while it may catch on it will never replace the quality from vinyl and cd's.

the main argument i have against downloading is all you're buying is digital air.

I agree with everything said here. Not alone is the cd not dead, but vinyl is making a comeback in this country. It never really disappeared in England.

In downloading, people are sacrificing quality for quantity as everything is compacted to make room.

Lots of people are going back to vinyl for that true warm Hi Fi (remember that ;) ) sound that even cd's cant provide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I just started my vinyl collection there, rare-ish stuff I suppose mostly but I buy cd's by and large.

having the hard copy, the sleeve notes, the inner pictures, the feel of some cd covers (eg. Favourite Worst Nightmare ) just is worth the 15 or so lids for the cd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

cashback wrote: »
    Just got a credit card so if anyone knows a good website to buy cds off I'd appreciate suggestions?

I usually buy mine from either play, cdon or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think I've bought about 60 CDs so far in 2008. Have cut down on the vinyl I buy because I don't really have the chance to listen to it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

callaway92 wrote: »
    Irish bands are hard to find online...like republic of loos,,,,blizzards etc...i buy their cd;s

Unless you're in Dublin or Cork, I find Irish bands CDs hard to find. I wanted to get the Ham Sandwich EPs but they weren't in any shop so had to buy them on iTuens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

id say about 50% of my wages goes on cds. never downloaded prob never will dont wanna i like the whole collecting aspect and actual piece of art you can touch, also the way i can put it on my mp3 take it off and put it back on again without having to worrying about apple or anyone stopping me doing something perfectly legal (cos i own all the music i have)

i read a report in the newspaper over the weekend that albums (as opposed to singles) weren't popular for download and that most (not all lol) people prefer to physically buy an album in a shop. id actually like it if cds had the same quality as they do but were the size of vinyl. gotta love the effort put into a vinyl sleeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Always buy the CD's ,the quality of the Downloads is normally ****e and a waste of money.
    TBH i think the majority of people that buy mp3's don't have a clue that they are getting an inferior product, free or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Jay P wrote: »
    CDs all the way, I buy about ten cds a month, usually more. I adore the ritual of putting it in the computer, listening to it while its being ripped and reading and looking at the artwork. Also, I like to have a hard copy of the album.

you've saved me the bother of writing about my own ritual ;)

Advertisement