Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPL & funding

• 15-02-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

How on the forum are currently training for their PPL? I've had my 5th lesson to date but unfortunately, due to weather constraints, I've only gotten 40 mins total flight time : (

Also, I was wondering how most people are funding their flying time. I am just paying for each lesson as I do it.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kkelly77 wrote: »
    How on the forum are currently training for their PPL? I've had my 5th lesson to date but unfortunately, due to weather constraints, I've only gotten 40 mins total flight time : (

Also, I was wondering how most people are funding their flying time. I am just paying for each lesson as I do it.

K

Are you asking about paying the full amount for the PPL up front? If you are then the golden rule is never to pay up front! So many horror stories of students getting stung after paying up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

No way did I pay it all up front!! Heard too many horror stories about people that did that.

I was considering block booking about 20hrs as the company I'm training with offer a 10% discount.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Pay as you go. Pay as you go. Borrow the money by all means. I lied big time to pay for my flying. Don't pay in advance. In fact at one stage I owed so much they called to my door for money so they could buy fuel. That's the way to keep them keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

kkelly77 wrote: »
    K

Huh? You've had 5 lessons and only 40 minutes logged? That's an average of 8 minutes per lesson!

For sure the weather has been dreadful since Christmas and if you want to learn to fly in Ireland you'd better get used to it. Still, if you are determined enough you will get there in the end. Stick with it!

Seriously though, I can't imagine why you have only 40 minutes logged (from engine start to shut down) after five lessons. Where are you learning to fly?

Anyway, the weather is improving and with a grand stretch in the evenings more available flying hours should open up.

Enjoy the summer!

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Huh? You've had 5 lessons and only 40 minutes logged? That's an average of 8 minutes per lesson!

Seriously though, I can't imagine why you have only 40 minutes logged (from engine start to shut down) after five lessons. Where are you learning to fly?

Anyway, the weather is improving and with a grand stretch in the evenings more available flying hours should open up.

Enjoy the summer!

I know, it's ridiculous. And needless to say I'm getting frustrated at just learning all theory on my lesson and not being able to put it into practice. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been charged for a 2 hr flying lesson if I don't get up; just instructor time. Hence, my monumental flight time of 40 mins :)

K

• Advertisement

Five lessons and only 40 mins flight time. I think you are being ripped off. If you don't fly, why are you getting a theory lesson? The average flying lesson length is about 40 minutes. Anything less and you will barely have time to practice any flying.

So you turn up at the airfield. The instructor tells you the weather is too bad to fly but let's do some classroom work. Which he then charges you for.

Wow, I want to work for those guys. A flying school where the instructor gets paid even when the weather is too bad to fly. Genius!

Am I missing something? Do you mean that you booked five lessons but only flew on one because of weather?

The usual flying lesson routine is a pre-flight briefing, where the instructor tells you what you will be learning followed by a flight where you practice it. If you are paying for a pre-flight but not getting the flight. Then you are being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 piperflyer

HI
    Go to the states to get JAA PPL /CPL/ Mulit in less time and money than Ireland. Waterford and other schools do the same but charge a lot more, giv them a shout when you have to do IR, as this must be done in Europe.

piperflyer wrote: »
    HI
    Go to the states to get JAA PPL /CPL/ Mulit in less time and money than Ireland. Waterford and other schools do the same but charge a lot more, giv them a shout when you have to do IR, as this must be done in Europe.

Hi Piperflyer, did you take the US route to the PPL?

yes i did, there are hassles over there also, most are going professional, are you? If youre not it might not suit you. Weather is good mostly but its intense training of around 6 weeks if youre focused. (dont believe the 21 days adverts)

piperflyer wrote: »
    yes i did, there are hassles over there also, most are going professional, are you? If youre not it might not suit you. Weather is good mostly but its intense training of around 6 weeks if youre focused. (dont believe the 21 days adverts)

What sort of problems did you face? I am considering professional at the moment. Just fear of the large financial outlay and future of the industry holding me back at the moment. I take it you're heading down the professional route then?

• Advertisement

hi
    yes i am going pro. Done PPL in USA... do a few lessons in Ireland first get an instructor to give an honest opinion before you commit a lot of money. Dont take out a loan for PPL. USA is ok weather, schools want your money. Lots of people out there who cant fly, but no one will tell them. Its a good idea to have a degree or some profession, to be employable and a back up plan. In short keep your eyes wide open

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Im finding myself privately. Working on CPL at the moment

electric69 wrote: »

That might need an edit:D But you were lucky it could have been much worse misspelling.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by electric69
    cp251 wrote: »
    That might need an edit:D But you were lucky it could have been much worse misspelling.:eek:

Fraudent typing maybe :-)

The 21 days thing is possible provided you have done some study beforehand, you have good instructor and most importantly you have an appitute for flying.
    I have seen it done but it ain't no holiday.

KKelly, 40 minutes after 5 lessons is a joke. Either you get to fly or nothing. It is not a lot of use getting ground briefing from instructor when you do not get to put it into practice perhaps for another month.
    It is in the interests of the instructor/flight school to convince you that you need ground instruction even though you are not flying.

Remember for US you need VISA for training. You should try and find school that does JAR accredited training/tests if you want to work back here. Otherwise you will have to convert licenses back into JAA and that is a whole different story.
    You could also try Canada in summer, wonderful scenery if you are out West.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

cp251 wrote: »

DOH! >.< :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

there is a lot of paper work to go to america.i went to california and frined went to florida.well recomended.great time and as long as you put hard work in you will get it done in 3-4 weeks no problem.just have study done for the exams before hand

Advertisement