Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Pay (PAYG) Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 15-02-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Saw a poster in the 3store window in Cork today that read:

"It's coming...

3Pay Broadband"

3 offer this already in the UK, I wonder how it will do here, and wat the pricing structure will be like?

Anyone got more info??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

is it not already here? you can get 2gb a month for €20

edit: ah f**k, that probably means they're going to mess with it again and it'll stop working for another 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

is it not already here? you can get 2gb a month for €20

That's a contract that must be signed up to.
    I'm guessing the PAYG option will involve topping up when you need to use it etc.

EDIT:
    This is how it works in the UK. (same prices as pay montly - with the exception that you simply top up instead of getting a bill)
    Pay As You Go Prices: ~~ Data allowance Price per 30 days ~~ Out of bundle charge (per MB)
    Broadband Lite ~~ 1GB ~~£10 ~~ £1.00 (note pay monthly charge is just 10p for extra mb)
    Broadband Plus ~~ 3GB ~~ £15 ~~ £1.00
    Broadband Max ~~ 7GB ~~ £25 ~~ £1.00

So will 3 Ireland's options be?:

Pay As You Go Prices:?? MB Bundle ~~ Monthly Cost ~~ Out of bundle cost (per MB)
    Mobile Broadband 10GB ~~ 10GB ~~ €19.99 ~~ €0.05 (more than likely higher price for payg)
    Mobile Broadband 3000 ~~ 3000Mb ~~ €39.99 ~~ €0.49

dmn wrote: »
    That's a contract that must be signed up to.
    I'm guessing the PAYG option will involve topping up when you need to use it etc.

that's what i'm talking about too. its already available

you can get:
    100MB for €5.99
    250MB for €9.99
    2 GB for €19.99

or 49c per MB if you don't want a bundle. i use the 250 MB bundle on my 3pay phone

I think you are getting confused. I'm not talking about a addon for your phone, i'm talking about ACTUAL broadband for you laptop / pc with the USB modem

I think you are getting confused. I'm not talking about a addon for your phone, i'm talking about ACTUAL broadband for you laptop / pc with the USB modem

ah i see. of course you can use your phone as a modem and use it on a laptop but they frown on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

so will they be charging more or same for the modem they supply? and how many customers do they hope to keep after the 1st month!? but it is a good idea for people who dont neeed or want another contract as long ass they dont need service either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I hope the modems can be easliy unlocked!

what do u mean unlock the modem?

I'm hoping the modems are relatively cheap and if available on prepay then there won't be any contract to worry about.

If I could unlock it then I could use it with other networks :)

jeeze, is that possible?

• Advertisement

I'm a little tired and hungover so I really don't know if you're being sarcastic or not ..

But yes, it is possible to use other SIMs in these modems if they're unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

I would have thought there wouldn't be a modem ~ they would just get you to buy an HSDPA capable phone ?

I guess this is possible too . . . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Saw a poster in the 3store window in Cork today that read:

"It's coming...

3Pay Broadband"

3 offer this already in the UK, I wonder how it will do here, and wat the pricing structure will be like?

Anyone got more info??

Yes its on the way,,, 10 days 1 hour and 17 mins and counting.... (dont hold your breath with there proven recored on delivering on time!)
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that's what i'm talking about too. its already available

you can get:
    100MB for €5.99
    250MB for €9.99
    2 GB for €19.99

or 49c per MB if you don't want a bundle. i use the 250 MB bundle on my 3pay phone

You will be glad to know that the 250mb option for 9.99 has changed to 1GB for 9.99. But thats the only option I can now get so I'm pissed off as I was happy with 100mb for 5.99 - no longer available....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

You will be glad to know that the 250mb option for 9.99 has changed to 1GB for 9.99. But thats the only option I can now get so I'm pissed off as I was happy with 100mb for 5.99 - no longer available....:mad:
    Yep me too, I used to buy the 5.99 option every month now I'll just make sure I do everything over wifi and use the out of bundle data prices instead. If it was 1GB for 9.99 and it didn't expire I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

how 3pay Broadband going for you, any of you who've signed up? I'm considering it but still undecided....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

el diablo wrote: »
    how 3pay Broadband going for you, any of you who've signed up? I'm considering it but still undecided....

Save your money man the service is sh1te look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

conjamuk wrote: »
    Save your money man the service is sh1te look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

yep, I saw that thread but it's fúckin' massive. :eek: and it mainly concerns the 3 mobile broadband and not the pre-pay version.
    is the main problem with coverage, speed or customer service? I'm in Dublin so the coverage and speed would probably as good as it gets I'd say.

The fact that's there's no contract is what attracted me to it first.....

any more info?.... thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's all the same software, system and infrastructure. In some City areas service can be worse due to higher demand. The only difference is how you pay for the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The problem is the network is completely overloaded. This is unlikely to be solved by adding more users to the network.

3 need to invest crap loads to sort this out but by their actions they seem to think it'll be more profitable to milk it for all its worth without sufficient investment and ruin their reputation in the country as well by falsely advertising the product speeds (Advertising Authorities fault TBH and all mobile providers are at it, even digiweb with their 5Mbps mobile broadband) rather than increasing capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The only advantage to having 3 prepay fraudband is that you're not locked into a 12 month contract with them. Other than that, like Watty says, there's no difference. Just like with a mobile phone where you choose to either have a pre-pay phone or a bill. What's more, if they get people signing up for the pre-pay, it's just going to make their over-subscribed network even more over-crowded and slow things right down.

Thanks for the advise lads. I read the last 10 pages of the Three Mobile Broadband -THE PROBLEMS M-M-MEGATHREAD! and there's no way I'll sign up.
    I'll consider one of the other mobile broadband options, maybe O2. wonder are they any better? Can anyone give me a quick answer?:)
    time for me to dig out some info on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

O2 broadband isn't bad at all. They're mac software is terrible though. I had to return it in the end. Exchanged it for an iPhone. With windows and in a good area you should be fine. Its worth trying out cause of the one month trial. You've nothing to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Some of our sales team use the O2 one in work and our System Admin uses it to work from home. Can be slow at times but overall a much better service.

Probably the best of the lot as they have an edge network too so you fall back to those speeds if you can't get 3G signal which is still usable.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Some of our sales team use the O2 one in work and our System Admin uses it to work from home. Can be slow at times but overall a much better service.

Probably the best of the lot as they have an edge network too so you fall back to those speeds if you can't get 3G signal which is still usable.

cheers, think I'll check it out. and I just read they've a 30 day happiness guarantee..:)

Advertisement