Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa for Chinese

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Knee jerk reaction to this is don't buy their products, then you have underprivilaged people who are no longer exploited, but have don't have jobs.

That's assuming they are working under "our" type of economic system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sovtek wrote: »
    Problem is "we" are the leechers and exploiters for the most part. The one with the most power anyway.
    I think a start is to admit that a lot of responsibility lies on our shores both past and present. Then start taking responsibility for it.

Focus less on the past, focus on now and future instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

faceman wrote: »
    Focus less on the past, focus on now and future instead

Well it's the past that rules the present. Colonialism ended in name only for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The EU agricultural policy is another joke, paying farmers to sit on their arses or subsidising crops to prevent third world farmers importing into europe is a crime. We prevent these people from earning a living, then give them charity.

Famine and disease in Europe wouldn't be high on your list of Bad Things I take it? Claiming the CAP exists purely or mainly to let farmers become lazy dole seekers is frankly amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Moriarty wrote: »
    Famine and disease in Europe wouldn't be high on your list of Bad Things I take it? Claiming the CAP exists purely or mainly to let farmers become lazy dole seekers is frankly amazing.

what has famine and disease got to do with paying farmers not to produce crops, or paying over the market rate for the crops they do produce. the CAP is there purely to protect european farmers from imports.

If I am wrong tell me why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Food security.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sovtek wrote: »
    Well it's the past that rules the present. Colonialism ended in name only for the most part.

*adds to book about broad generalisations on africa*

Please elaborate on your post.

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Food security.

is food security that important in europe? There is plenty of capacity in europe, it's just not being used to keep market prices artificially high.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Moriarty wrote: »

The CAP does not exist purely or mainly to let farmers become lazy dole seekers. But the fact is that is exactly what it does. Farmers are now just glorified dole merchants who live on “the cheque in the post” which they get for doing precisely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

A agree. I think the CAP is in need of major reform, and it does also operate to shut out exports from developing countries through subsidisation (combined with trade barriers) However, in an era of globalisation, without support to domestic producers, it would make no economic sense to produce food. In the event of a catastrophe, or simply excruciating oil prices, for example, Europeans would starve.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with the CAP as is, but its fundemantal rationale is food security. Could it not be reformed in such a way as to eliminate its crookery, but preserve its essential purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Could it not be reformed in such a way as to eliminate its crookery, but preserve its essential purpose?
    I'm sure it could, but the farmers' lobby is a powerful one, especially in countries such as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

djpbarry wrote: »
    I'm sure it could, but the farmers' lobby is a powerful one, especially in countries such as Ireland.

The farmers lobby is not anything like as powerful as it used to be. There are a lot less farmers in Ireland now than there was 30 years ago. And the farmer’s don’t have a lot of friends in Germany or UK. The CAP can and should be reformed, god knows the MEP’s are getting paid well enough to streamline and modernise it.

The farmers lobby is not anything like as powerful as it used to be. There are a lot less farmers in Ireland now than there was 30 years ago. And the farmer’s don’t have a lot of friends in Germany or UK. The CAP can and should be reformed, god knows the MEP’s are getting paid well enough to streamline and modernise it.

The French are the ones still behind the CAP.

I think when the UK gave up it's rebate from the EU, one of the conditions was reforms to the CAP, so they may be coming. Nothing seems to happen too quickly in Brussels though:rolleyes:

Advertisement