Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

approx expected wage??

• 15-02-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

What would the approx wage paid to a person who would work a 6-8 hour day exercising&schooling 6-8 horses and doing basic work associated with them cleaning tack grooming etc no laboursome work like mucking out etc.
    Or no meals or accommadation included .
    any ideas?:confused:

Comments

Not much I would imagine.. prob minimum wage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not much I would imagine.. prob minimum wage...

I would second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Think its a bit mean how people with jobs like that are so underpaid. If you think about it the work is skilled as opposed to unskilled and in my opinion minimum wage should be reserved for unskilled work.
    Hell when i had a brief stint in a pizza delivery job (before realising part time jobs were not for me!) i got paid a good bit better than minimum wage as it was viewed as skilled work as it required a driving license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

I would think that a good rider working horses would get more than that. How many people would you trust to school your horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Exactly, it takes years of money and time investment to get to the point where other people are going to trust you to school their expensive animals. It makes sense that a decent wage should be paid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

I would def. see it as very skilled work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It is skilled work but its paid so badly. :(

Wages can be reduced to a function of demand and cost.

Horses are expensive animals with a lot of anciallry expenses, this is combined with the fact that there are a lot of people who want to work with horses and will accept low wages.

If someone demands more money, there are plenty of other people there to take their place and the owners / yard managers would rather put the money into the horses rather then the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

A lot depends on your experience and expertise. If you are only hacking out or exercising horses for people and do not have vast experience, then it's unlikely you will be paid a big wage.

If however, you are well known and respected and extremely experienced and talented with good competition results, then you should be able to charge more especially if you are essentially schooling horses and improving their all round way of going.

I worked for a well known dressage and eventing trainer and producer in the UK and due to my experience and results was paid a higher wage than other staff. I was employed purely as a rider, i.e. no mucking out etc, but I did help out whenever I could, because it's important to build a rapport with your workmates too. However, in this case, you are given more responsibility because you deal with the younger, greener and possibly more valuable horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Lovely thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
Advertisement