Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pouches or pooches?!

• 15-02-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

someone mentioned this in another thread (re cefo i think) and i just thought it was interesting... now i know for all of ye who have been around for a while it comes automatically at this stage to say pooches but think back.. long long time ago for some.. when you first joined.. did it seem odd? i for one used to always say pouch back in my civvy days:rolleyes:
    ahh the curiosities of military life.. wonder how it started?
    as a matter of interest i also used to say beret the french way (berAY) but now i quite often find myself saying it like a paddy:D.. anyone think of any more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

haha it's gotta be a POUCH! And ;ber-ay too! lol grammer, what fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

oh are you IN the army?! and you say pouch:eek:!! ha, you rebel!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

ay - as - ay - as - ay - as - ay!

for cley - deas.....(dunno if their spelled right!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Whats going on?:confused: this' be army talk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

No sorry, currently in the process of joining the brits though I'm sure a pouch is still a pouch over there! :/

• Advertisement

yes perhaps! oh yeah that reminds me of another one.. "shun"often said in the irish arty, perhaps ever so slightly reminicent of "attention!" but nothing like "aire"!
    and "sheasaigh ar ais" too, its always pronounced shaseek rawsh!!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

shaseek rawsh

That, I recall in the cav as well.

I always said 'pouches', mind.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I always said pouches but of course each unit has it's tradition. Remember too, that this is Ireland. English is not our native language. So we can pronounce anything the way we like.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bada-bing wrote: »
    yes perhaps! oh yeah that reminds me of another one.. "shun"often said in the irish arty, perhaps ever so slightly reminicent of "attention!" but nothing like "aire"!
    and "sheasaigh ar ais" too, its always pronounced shaseek rawsh!!:rolleyes:

THis is just due to about 3/4 NCO's ability to speak Irish correctly (the Munster way) so they use their culchie accents and it comes out al fceked up.

I got heard some terrible stuff down in Bere last year. The other platoons sarge could not speak. He just shouted and was marching us to the church one day and No one could march correctly after 1.5 weeks of Perfect marching.

All because we couldnt understand him at all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

But there isn't all that much to marching it's just walking in a straight line and turnling left when the NCO tells you to. Surely he couldn't have been that bad that you didn't know when to turn or stop etc. Walking in step isn't that hard either...

GH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bada-bing wrote: »
    someone mentioned this in another thread (re cefo i think) and i just thought it was interesting... now i know for all of ye who have been around for a while it comes automatically at this stage to say pooches but think back.. long long time ago for some.. when you first joined.. did it seem odd? i for one used to always say pouch back in my civvy days:rolleyes:
    ahh the curiosities of military life.. wonder how it started?
    as a matter of interest i also used to say beret the french way (berAY) but now i quite often find myself saying it like a paddy:D.. anyone think of any more?

I bet your in the Curragh?, where they also say 'CUM-BATS' for Combats.

no they say "kaks"!!
    another peculiar army phrase is "i got raped!".. any time i accidently say that in civvy street i get very curious looks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

But there isn't all that much to marching it's just walking in a straight line and turnling left when the NCO tells you to. Surely he couldn't have been that bad that you didn't know when to turn or stop etc. Walking in step isn't that hard either...

GH

He didn't say anything he simply grunted!!! The other platoon had gotten used to it (they still sucked though) so noone could really follow properly. It was a Hames of a thing.

Advertisement