Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of 20-50mb broadband?

Options
  • 15-02-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just wondering will this country ever see these types of speeds that they currently enjoy in some parts of Europe? I've had 2mb now for the past few years and still this speed is near the top speeds still standard here! Why isn't there any movement in speeds at all? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Have a read of this it aint 20 mb but its an improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Axwell wrote: »
    Have a read of this it aint 20 mb but its an improvement

That's not bad at all for e40 a month. I pay e42 a month for 2mb off permanet. No chance though of me getting that as PermaNet are my only option for the meantime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

in june ntl/upc will be doubling their speeds so for 40 a month u can have 12mb

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just wondering will this country ever see these types of speeds that they currently enjoy in some parts of Europe? I've had 2mb now for the past few years and still this speed is near the top speeds still standard here! Why isn't there any movement in speeds at all? :(

According to threads here, Eircom is rolling out ADSL2 with speeds of 8, 12 and 16mb between now and June. Smart is also toying around with speeds of 20mbps but haven't made a formal announcement as to their intentions with that. I've also heard heard that some green field developments are being given fibre to the home which support really high speeds. The problem with the Eircom network is that the copper is quite old.

In the short term, you probably wont see super fast internet from the likes of Eircom and BT because their network is so large (BT UK has said it won't be rolling out fibre because it's too expensive to upgrade their network) but you'll probably see a growth in the number of installations by companies like Magnet who can put fibre in when homes are built.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

marchanlon wrote:
    In the short term, you probably wont see super fast internet from the likes of Eircom and BT because their network is so large (BT UK has said it won't be rolling out fibre because it's too expensive to upgrade their network) but you'll probably see a growth in the number of installations by companies like Magnet who can put fibre in when homes are built.
    Considering the number of new homes built here in the last decade. Imagine if they had done things like requiring a higher standard of insulation, requiring thermostats, requiring common ducting to to each house instead of allowing each utlity company to monoplilise it's ducting thus locking you in to them forever unless you pay to get recabled. This is why eircom will get €17pm for their copper regardless of which ADSL provider you use.

Common ducting to a cabinet would mean any provider could supply your next gerneration needs without having to invest time and money in working around an exisitng connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

marchanlon wrote: »
    According to threads here, Eircom is rolling out ADSL2 with speeds of 8, 12 and 16mb between now and June. Smart is also toying around with speeds of 20mbps but haven't made a formal announcement as to their intentions with that. I've also heard heard that some green field developments are being given fibre to the home which support really high speeds. The problem with the Eircom network is that the copper is quite old.

Old copper is better then new copper. Purer you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

great wrote: »
    in june ntl/upc will be doubling their speeds so for 40 a month u can have 12mb
    AS far as I am aware we are just going off of one persons story for this , there has been no confirmation at all of this, also I don't think there was any timeframe given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

no see i called upc yesterday to get digital tv and to up my broadband from 2 to 3 and the guy mentioned it would happen around june

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

great wrote: »
    no see i called upc yesterday to get digital tv and to up my broadband from 2 to 3 and the guy mentioned it would happen around june

Was also talking to NTL BB support (proper BB support) and the girl told me that they would be going 12 at the end of march and hopefully 20 next year.
    Reason why she mentioned this is because I am currently getting very bad speeds where I live and she explained to me as they were upgrading the area they had to move people from one main supply cable to another as they were upgrading them so there was currently to many people on each cable but this will improve when they are fully upgraded.
    This was the first time I had got an honest and knowledgeable reply from NTL CS, was well shocked.

Cool, well at least we are hearing this from more then one source now :) . I hope it is actually the send of march when they upgrade the lines, and it would be deadly if they did go to 20 Mb next year, but somehow I don't see it happening :( . I really hope we get at least 1Mb upseed on the 12 Mb line that would be great :) .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cool, well at least we are hearing this from more then one source now :) . I hope it is actually the send of march when they upgrade the lines, and it would be deadly if they did go to 20 Mb next year, but somehow I don't see it happening :( .

They won't , eircom are supposed to have 25mbit VDSL in the big cities this year and won't either. eirocm announced it in 2007 :(

NTL operate in the same big cities and would have to respond, they have not led the market on speeds and performance since the early days of BB in Ireland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They won't , eircom are supposed to have 25mbit VDSL in the big cities this year and won't either. eirocm announced it in 2007 :(

How do you know that? If someoneone said to you they (NTL) were giving 12 Megs by March in January would you have discounted that also?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Freddie59 wrote: »
    How do you know that? If someoneone said to you they (NTL) were giving 12 Megs by March in January would you have discounted that also?:confused:

Based on their performance definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Sponge Bob wrote: »

NTL operate in the same big cities and would have to respond, they have not led the market on speeds and performance since the early days of BB in Ireland .

I think UPC will try to run things alot differently than NTL. They have a whole lot more money to spend than NTL ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

marchanlon wrote: »
    According to threads here, Eircom is rolling out ADSL2 with speeds of 8, 12 and 16mb between now and June. Smart is also toying around with speeds of 20mbps but haven't made a formal announcement as to their intentions with that.

Well, If Eircom and BT step up, Smart will have to stop toying around soon. I'm getting a 5 mb connection. Any idea what it might be upgraded to? If 7 mb => 20 mb, 5 mb=> 15mb? :rolleyes:

J

DingDong wrote: »
    I think UPC will try to run things alot differently than NTL. They have a whole lot more money to spend than NTL ever did.

Personally I think UPC have been worse than NTL and I didn't think that was possible. I don't think the infrastructure is there, to facilitate these higher speeds. Or more correctly, where the infrastructure is not up to scratch there is no will to fix it. If it works great. If it doesn't your on your own.

Unfortunately from a customers point of view they haven't seen much change. All you would of seen is the disaster of a call centre, alot of change is happening on this front to improve service to the customer. An example is Automan's post getting a straight answer from a knowledgeable customer service agent.

The infrastructure is there in part for higher speed. UPC are spending an absolute fortune on upgrades to get all networks up to the same standard.So their is the will BostonB to sort out the network. But it takes time to upgrade an area.

One other thing to note UPC currently only use one downstream frequency for cable modems, future modem will use 3 frequency so massive speed increase will be possible.

Not on the ****e cable installed in most of this country it won't .

Remember who we are talking about . The predecessors of NTL were eircom and Chorus were various companies of whom only Suir Nore relays had any standards .

Its not 800mhz cable like in many modern (post 1980) deployments in developed countries, In Ireland its cheap and nasty crap in the main. To make it worse its OLD cheap and nasty crap left to the elements in the wettest country in Europe .

It was only really designed to carry the 4 UK channels extant in 1990 FFS :(

The laws of physics will prevent any widescale leveraging of Docsis 2 while the thing will probably explode at Docsis 3 bitrates !

I haven't heard about them upgrading the network. I would say they have their work cut out. I heard the network was very poor when NTL took it over from Cablelink and really didn't improve it much. If they manage to do it well great. They'd need to hurry up as I'd say they are losing customers at a rate of knots at the moment.

Sponge Bob I said in part, not all of the network will be able for the speed increase, its also why its not all a two way network. Upgrading an area is a really massive job. UPC inherited alot of old systems from NTL and Chorus so they have a big job on their hands, but at least they are spending the money to get the network up to scratch. Its a big job and will takes time their's no fast way to do it. NTL did do some upgrade around 2000 but ran out of cash. Area's that have been upgrade are sitting on 860Mhz systems where half of the available bandwidth is currently not being used for anything.

• Advertisement

You seem to know a bit about the network how so? Do you have any hope they will improve in time. I don't hear any better about them the UK. But I would be delighted if there was a good alternative to Eircom.

I work for the evil empire :). I think the future does look bright for UPC. They have alot of things planned to improve customer service. They have been really in the bad books the last while because so much change is going on.

I've lived in an upgraded area since 2002ish and I've never had any problem with my tv service.My broadband only ever died about 4 times and it was never caused by something local and always fixed fast. I always get my Max speed allowed too.Now with VOIP added to the lineup my phone bill has never been cheaper.

Old NTL UK now virgin media is nothing to do with UPC. NTL UK sold off Irish NTL to UPC. If you look up other country that have UPC you will see what the company is capable of Boston. Have a look at the link below for more info on them.

http://www.lgi.com/upc_broadband.html

I didn't realise that. Good to know.

There was someone from UPC on the matt cooper show/ray darcy ( I can't remember which ) and he was saying that they have been spending alot of money on upgrading the infrastructure over the last few years. That seems to agree with what dingdong is saying , which I am happy about.

Now Now DingDong, don't overpimp the cheap co-ax :p

My position is that UPC will follow eircom and will not lead, don't answer that

My other position is that the good call centre in Waterford ( NTL) was closed in favour of the crap one in Limerick (:eek: Chorus :eek:) , don't answer that neither :p . K.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I work for the evil empire :). I think the future does look bright for UPC. They have alot of things planned to improve customer service. They have been really in the bad books the last while because so much change is going on.

I've lived in an upgraded area since 2002ish and I've never had any problem with my tv service.My broadband only ever died about 4 times and it was never caused by something local and always fixed fast. I always get my Max speed allowed too.Now with VOIP added to the lineup my phone bill has never been cheaper.

Old NTL UK now virgin media is nothing to do with UPC. NTL UK sold off Irish NTL to UPC. If you look up other country that have UPC you will see what the company is capable of Boston. Have a look at the link below for more info on them.

http://www.lgi.com/upc_broadband.html

Free advertisment anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Free advertisment anyone?

Its not like its his first post so no, I dont think he is tbh, are you that petty about it?

If people think I'm here to advertise I won't post on any UPC subjects anymore. All I try to do is give people a bit of an inside look and stay as impartial as I can.

Sponge Bob a hybrid fibre coax network is anything but cheap, as for the legacy stuff that a different story ;) hence the need for upgrading.

If people think I'm here to advertise I won't post on any UPC subjects anymore. All I try to do is give people a bit of an inside look and stay as impartial as I can.

Sponge Bob a hybrid fibre coax network is anything but cheap, as for the legacy stuff that a different story ;) hence the need for upgrading.

I speak for myself only, but I would imagine many here feel the same. We are very greatfull for any kind of inside info from UPC, especially from someone that would seem to be credible, Don't let the begrudgers stop you from posting here :) .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually it's possible to get 22mb bandwith every where in Ireland !

You just get satellite

There is one little catch, the 22mb isn't 48:1 like terresterial, it's more like Everyone:1 and depending on the transponder it could be everyone from all over Europe, not just ROI + UK :(

Advertisement